94.7 50Km Corruption

Beebster

the race was well organised , but the congestion really stuffs you up.

Also it would be nice to have a bike mecanic on the route. My gears bombed out and im sure a mechanic would have sorted them out in 2 mins.

my fault for not knowing how to fix them. lesson learnt.

• Replies 34
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I had no congestion from my couch...But seriously, its become a fact of every race and unless you're in the top 30 or so places its horiffic! and the problem is that every race operates on their own idea of a seeding system so one weekend you are racing A cat the next you get put in E...

My friends in A4 didn't complain about congestion, or any hold ups, and they finished with plenty of time to spare. I had none in A2 either.

Sometimes you just gotta pay your dues - last year I started in A5 and rode/ran/swam and fought my way past about a million people....this year I started in A1.

Likewise in road racing - I only did mountain bike races and duathlon for a few years so I had no road seeding at all - it took me 4 or 5 road races doing 100km solo time trials before I got near the front.

The seeding system might be a bit flawed but in my view it's right about 90% of the time...

The answer is simple - if you want to start where there is no congestion train a little more and get a better seeding - it's all part of riding - not everyone can start in the front on their first race and 4' date='000 people are never going to fit onto jeep track/single track no matter how well you seed them.

[/quote']

Is there any seeding for MTB races - other than for pros.  I thought for the 94.7 MTB that the start group was decided on a first come first served basis. And to get an early start you needed to enter early. From the tales of congestion they should limit the number of entries or come up some innovations like dual singletrack, etc.

Is there something like MTB'ing etiquet?

I mean, it has happened in the past that I had to start in the back of a race. And it severly p*sses of the slower riders when I come screaming past! I try and make my prescence known when I am coming up behind slower riders and if I see that there is NO place for them to get out of the way, I try and pass without them having to get of the track...And when they do get out of the way, I always say THANK YOU! ALWAYS!

But still, what are the rules of engagement?

if there is a list of mtb etiquette somewhere, please put on there that if you can't ride an obstacle, dont push in in front of other riders who might be able to ride it.

and wait your line in the queue .... all of us want to make the cut-offs ...

Is there something like MTB'ing etiquet?

I mean' date=' it has happened in the past that I had to start in the back of a race. And it severly p*sses of the slower riders when I come screaming past! I try and make my prescence known when I am coming up behind slower riders and if I see that there is NO place for them to get out of the way, I try and pass without them having to get of the track...And when they do get out of the way, I always say THANK YOU! ALWAYS!

But still, what are the rules of engagement?
[/quote']

My question is more fundamental. As a Roadie I would like to know when you wave at people during the race. It must leave you buggered what with pedalling and waving all the time.

Big%20smile

Also had no congestion in A2 did in previous years, thought the organizers did an awesome this year on route and seeding.

Guest Agteros

if there is a list of mtb etiquette somewhere' date=' please put on there that if you can't ride an obstacle, dont push in in front of other riders who might be able to ride it.

and wait your line in the queue .... all of us want to make the cut-offs ...

[/quote']

But cut-offs are not all what the organisers make them out to be!

Started in A5 last year, but A3 this year.  Had no congestion.  Suggestion.... ride/train harder and get a better seeding :)  Otherwise rather stay away - at the end of the day ANY cycle race over 1500 entries has congestion of some sort.  I enjoyed the route and thought it was one of the best events I have ever ridden.

I look forward to riding the permanent MTB route in 2009, once Century are have completed the Estate.

Started in A5 last year' date=' but A3 this year.  Had no congestion.  Suggestion.... ride/train harder and get a better seeding :)  [/quote']

Fantastic idea! Everyone trains harder and gets seeded in A3.

A3 becomes too crowded and so we continue down the same old road. Everyone trains harder to get into A2, and so on and so forth.........

Started in A5 last year' date=' but A3 this year.  Had no congestion.  Suggestion.... ride/train harder and get a better seeding :)  [/quote']

Fantastic idea! Everyone trains harder and gets seeded in A3.

A3 becomes too crowded and so we continue down the same old road. Everyone trains harder to get into A2, and so on and so forth.........

Errr not really dude..... Tongue that's assuming everyone get's the same time!

Was this seeding just for 94.7 or do all MTB races do it now?

Why do they use A1, A2, A3 etc and not just A, B, C?

Guest Agteros

Was this seeding just for 94.7 or do all MTB races do it now?

Why do they use A1' date=' A2, A3 etc and not just A, B, C?
[/quote']

From what I could figure from the 2008 event is that A = long distance (40 then) and B = short distance (20 then)