Puncture Repair

nyathi

Lets see what eveybody thinks, when you get a flat/puncture with your bicycle and you elect to repair this right there and then or even later when you get home:

Do you deflate your tube completely and then put the glue and then the patch or do you leave your tube inflated and glue and patch like this?
And why?

normally just change the tube, but if its an end of month ride (i.e. the cash she is finished) then I keep the tube and later on

deflate tube (my theory is an inflated tube will be pushing the glue away from teh hole)

roughen up the surface

apply glue

let it dry until sticky

apply patch and leave for an hour or so before inflating.

Carry a spare tube and use the self glue "plasters" Much quicker. I inflate the tyre to find the hole and then deflate to about 30%. 

I always fix the tube and put it back on the wheel for my "riding" tube. My spare tubes are always new, unpatched.

I deflate it completely before I patch it. I also use baby powder afterwards to dry up the glue so that it does not stick to the inside of the tyre.

I usually cycle alone, so carry a couple of spare tubes plus a small repair kit! Repair punctures at home on deflated tube.

The fastest thing to do would be to change the tube and go, I agree. But should you have to repair the punture, what would you do?

The fastest thing to do would be to change the tube and go, I agree. But should you have to repair the punture, what would you do?

Guest Frail4Life

Deflate the tube, roughen the spot and add glue. Pack all extra kit, tools away. Now the glue/ solution will be dry ready to patch.

You can place your spare tube in a bank bag/ zipplock bag with baby powder. Once finished with repairs the baby powder will help with gruppy hands.    

patch the tube deflated.

LAst year I went to ride harkerville,

got a puncture. So I thought, not in the mood but hey I have a spare tube. take the tube out and start pumping. . .  it was a tube from somewhere in the distant past with a snake bite. . .Angry

Ah well at least I have my patchkit in my camelback. . .  not there some %%&%$&*) took it out. . . . . or so I was rambling on. .  then I saw it lying on the ground (felll out when I took the tube out) . .. . so I apologize to the birds and the trees for my language.

NO I prepare the tube sand it, get the patch ready. .  open glue pfffft . .  all dried upDeadDeadAngry

OKe what now. .  lets try the trick where you stuff your MTB tire with grass etc. . . . (this did not work)

SO I started walking. . .( donthave the money to trash my rim by riding on it) MTB shoes arentt exactly made for walking so I dit it barefoot(yes I do have soft cyclists feet)

took me 1:30-2:00 to get to kevin Evans dads place fixed the puncture, got something to eat from kevins wife and rode back to Knysna. . .

I went riding at van galens with a mate a few years ago and we managed to get 3 punctures between us. we were 10k's out with only 2 tubes between us!

Eventually i used a trick i had seen on a farm when i was a kid. I pulled my draw string out of my pants and tied it around the hole. I then wrapped it as tight as i could round and round the tube to try stop any air from getting to the hole.

Popped the tube back on the rim and pumped it hoping for the best, It worked like a charm! was still hard a week later too but i decided i best replace it just in case!

I can tell you it was a far better idea than walking!

Best thing is to carry a spare tube.If you want an easy way,SLIME make glueless patches ,clean the area,and apply,works well if u have multiple punctures,or only have 1 tube