chain at 0.75 wear

Zula

Just cleaned my bike and did the mandatory chain check to see its at the 0.75 wear level with a very tight squeeze.

So the question is, is it time to replace the chain or can I wait until its a perfect fit for the chain checker?

Im a bit annoyed as the chain has only done 600km's, which is nothing.

Any advice is appreciated

It sounds as if you have one of those quirky chain checkers. Throw it away. They are inconsistent since they are dependent on roller spacing, something that varies with cleanliness.

Unless you have done all 600 of those kms of yours in grit, without any oil, your chain should be nowhere near worn.

Measure it with a ruler for an accurate reading and peace of mind.

Search for "12 inches" in Tech Q&A and you'll get lots of references to how.

It sounds as if you have one of those quirky chain checkers. Throw it away. They are inconsistent since they are dependent on roller spacing' date=' something that varies with cleanliness.

Unless you have done all 600 of those kms of yours in grit, without any oil, your chain should be nowhere near worn.

[/quote']

Brag jy nou met daai "12 inches".....!!!!!!!!!!

my test is i put the chain on the floor standing up and then slowely bend it, if it almost makes 3/4 of a circle then its finished, but the measuring the lengh with the ruler is way more accurate but im sometimes too lazy to get a ruler

Johan

Ons hoop werklik dat jy nog hierdie ding met die swak chaincheckers sal kan te bowe kom.  Ons is so bang die ding verteer jou naderhand soos jy ouer word.  Sterkte!

Johan

Ons hoop werklik dat jy nog hierdie ding met die swak chaincheckers sal kan te bowe kom.  Ons is so bang die ding verteer jou naderhand soos jy ouer word.  Sterkte!

Amen

Johan

In ons tyd van waar jy nie eers weet wie jou buurman is nie vind ek onwrikbaare naastediens soos Johan s'n nogal verfrissend. As jy swak kettingtoetsers wil gebruik is dit jou bondel agterratte wat jy opfok!!!!!!!! ...... doe so voort met ywer Retrorider!!!!!!!!!

It sounds as if you have one of those quirky chain checkers. Throw it away. They are inconsistent since they are dependent on roller spacing' date=' something that varies with cleanliness.

[/quote']

Hi Johan

Posting in a spirit of enquiry, not interweb willy-waving...

Would dirt not throw out the 12" measuring also?

And, how would dirty rollers be further apart than clean rollers?  If anything I would expect that dirt between the rollers would give a "false OK" by taking up the spaces left by wear (chain "stretch") rather than a "false fail"?

Isn't the answer to check the chain after cleaning it?

(FWIW, I use a .75mm/1.0mm checker made by Park and it seems to do what it says on the tin.)

James

[/quote']

Hi Johan

Posting in a spirit of enquiry, not interweb willy-waving...

Would dirt not throw out the 12" measuring also?

And, how would dirty rollers be further apart than clean rollers?  If anything I would expect that dirt between the rollers would give a "false OK" by taking up the spaces left by wear (chain "stretch") rather than a "false fail"?

Isn't the answer to check the chain after cleaning it?

(FWIW, I use a .75mm/1.0mm checker made by Park and it seems to do what it says on the tin.)

James

James, dirt doesn't throw out the 12" measurement since it generally cannot get into the wear area, whereas the roller and its bushings have large gaps underneath for dirt to settle. If you disassemble a dirty chain this becomes obvious.

Chain measurement tools such as Park and all the others, work by forcing itself inbetween two (non-adjacent) rollers, pushing them outwards. If dirt prevents the rollers from moving, it gives you a false OK reading. Since the distance of measurement is so small, a small amount of dirty has a relatively large percentile effect and gives you a big false reading.

Have a look at this link. A very clever JB (Jobst Brandt) explains it very convincingly and logically.

In ons tyd van waar jy nie eers weet wie jou buurman is nie vind ek onwrikbaare naastediens soos Johan s'n nogal verfrissend. As jy swak kettingtoetsers wil gebruik is dit jou bondel agterratte wat jy opfok!!!!!!!! ...... doe so voort met ywer Retrorider!!!!!!!!!

Wat sal ek nou my ratte wil opf*k!  Ek is lankal deur Johan en andere oortuig en ek gebruik 'n Vernier vir die joppie.  Niks fout met onwrikbare naastediens nie.  Vra liewer of jy wasgebaseerde lube op jou ketting moet gebruikShocked