Unbelievable

DustSupp

I was looking around for a 29er, being year end all LBS have the same line, waiting for shipment, not sure when customs will clear, so early next year sometime.

Managed to locate one at a LBS (north) but they were ridiculously more expensive than the LBS (west) who could order one in for me at a lower price but i would have to wait. Is it just the location of the store?

Maybe I am a naive newbe, but I also thought that pedals would be included in the original price of a bicycle.

Nope - very rare to get pedals with bike (road or mtb)

Google "650D" - new size wheel which may gain more popularity than than 29ers. Drawback is that it may be some time before they in full production.

My bike (26") is new, so no change for now - but will for sure consider the 650D later Shocked

Comes down to the exchange rate at the time that the bikes were originally brought in at. If you bring in a bike at 8 to the $, and it's sitting on your floor, you're going to have to sell it at more than the bike that you CAN bring in at a rate of 6 to the $. Simple economic sense.

But if you haggle with the LBS you should be able to come to a deal on the pedals. Reason they aren't included (at least the way I see it) is that there's so much choice out there now (crank bros, shimano, time, etc etc) that the LBS doesn't include them in the price. If they did, then there'd be the problem of trading in a used set of pedals (they're used as soon as they're out of the box) for a new set and the cost difference, and you'd complain because they wouldn't give you the list price etc etc.

Just be aware that all accessories are extra.

Comes down to the exchange rate at the time that the bikes were originally brought in at. If you bring in a bike at 8 to the $' date=' and it's sitting on your floor, you're going to have to sell it at more than the bike that you CAN bring in at a rate of 6 to the $. Simple economic sense.
[/quote']

Sure I am aware of this but do not think this was the case, being desperate to get a bike before we go on holiday I approached LBS north again and they were willing to nearly match LBS wests price. I just think it is unbelievable that there can be such a huge difference and then when queried they are willing to match the others. I think alot  of unsuspecting cyclists get ripped off.

Comes down to the exchange rate at the time that the bikes were originally brought in at. If you bring in a bike at 8 to the $' date=' and it's sitting on your floor, you're going to have to sell it at more than the bike that you CAN bring in at a rate of 6 to the $. Simple economic sense.
[/quote']

Sure I am aware of this but do not think this was the case, being desperate to get a bike before we go on holiday I approached LBS north again and they were willing to nearly match LBS wests price. I just think it is unbelievable that there can be such a huge difference and then when queried they are willing to match the others. I think alot  of unsuspecting cyclists get ripped off.

you also got to consider what some shops off with a bike purchase. some may offer a service plan, etc.

Hi DustSupp,

If you are still looking for 29ers we have On One Scandal 29ers (alloy) from R16,500 and On One Inbred 29ers (steel) from R14,328

http://www.planet-x-bikes.co.za/images/products/Inbred-29-sand-geared.jpg

20091130_000650_ononescandal29e.jpg

Location, Location, Location.

You will pay more for the same thing in some areas and less in other areas. Get the product now will cost you more than if you wait. Not really surprised at the difference.

Hi DustSupp,

If you are still looking for 29ers we have On One Scandal 29ers (alloy) from R16,500 and On One Inbred 29ers (steel) from R14,328

Thanks Kiwi but after pointing out the difference they dropped the bikes price by R 7300-00.

Sammajoor that is not capitalism its daylite robbery. 

CRC

Hi I did check out their web site but they did not have what I was looking for.

Appreciate the input

Hi DustSupp' date='If you are still looking for 29ers we have On One Scandal 29ers (alloy) from R16,500 and On One Inbred 29ers (steel) from R14,328

?

Thanks Kiwi but after pointing out the difference they dropped the bikes price by R 7300-00.

?

Sammajoor that is not capitalism its daylite robbery.?
[/quote']

no mate, that is not what I meant. I meant to say. you are free to choose where to buy. Shop around

Shop location makes a big difference to pricing,and its not only limited to cycling,but most retail products.Most mtb's will come with either clipless or platform pedals,it depends on the brand /model of the bike

I could;ve gotten my bike for R2000-00 less at the one shop than the other I chose the more expensive shop (for after sale service.) And I'm glad I made my choice.