Attakwas

michael

Has anyone done this race and could you give some advice as to what training one should do, what the route is like, what to take etc etc.

Hi Michael,

Training should have started a while back, but if you have a firm base, I would be logging the miles right now. The event is extremely tough and needs a mindshift towards a "longer than usual time in the saddle" - in 2009 the average rider (middle of the field) finished in 08:30 hours, with the winning time just short of 6 hours.

The route consists of mainly technical jeep track with district roads towards the finish - my advice would be hydrate and eat well, begin slower than usual and expect a long day in the saddle.

Hope this helps - perhaps other hubbers have got better advice, or go to www.dryland.co.za

Regards

rads
Rads2009-12-02 04:17:33

As Rads said, do long rides, and make sure you can cope with long climbs after you already done a long strecth of riding.

If possible do some training in hot conditions as well as it can get quite hot in the area the race takes place.

I'm gonna take 4 energy bars, 4 gels, and a pack of salticrax(my favourite).  Also taking extra energy drink powder in a ziploc bag to fill my Camelbak at the halfway mark(after eating a spur burger).

Hope to see you 16 Jan '10
Stephan2009-12-02 05:10:58

Bank the miles now so you can withdraw them on the day. This will be a tough day and you should be prepared to some climbing

Did this race for first time in Jan this year. Made me humble! One peace of advice i can give you: forget about long slow 5h training rides on the rd. Do 5-6hr mtb rides with some intensity! Its not only farm rds my friend. There are technical sections and a lot of climbing. BE PREPAIRED!!

Big milage on your MTB, not just long slow rides but some intensity as well, attack the climbs and ride them hard, you need to do a minimum of 10 6hr plus rides prior to Attakwas, it is a nice race but you must be well prepared

what!?! 10 6hour rides...that is about 5 more long rides than I did to ride the epic :)

I think it depends on what base you are coming in with

5 weekends left + 2 weeks taper, keep this in mind and remember that you most probably cannot jump from 4 hours 1 week to 8 hours the next week and keep it up. Just try do what you can and train hard for 2011 and learn from 2010.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

So last week of training then 2 weeks of taper and then it is D Day. Hope everyone has a great last week of training. See you all on the day.