PPA Alternatives

Christopher Brunsdon

OK' date=' so after reading the long list of PPA projects I see nothing done to benefit me.

I'm selfish and my contribution must be to me personal benefit!!!

So, sod all the PPA charity cases as I'm now 100% convinced to discontinue my membership.

AMA seems to hit the spot. At least I see their work and I personally benefit from them.
[/quote']

So growing cycling and MTB doesnt benefit you? I dont understand, the more people we have participating brings more equipment into SA, sustaining the industry, improving economies of scale. More SA cyclists competing at highest level = improved profile, more sponsor cash, better and more events, better TV coverage of events. Higher profile = more cyclists on the road, means bike lanes. More cyclists = better awareness to motorists = improved safety. and the list goes on. Pay your PPA fees, it is small fry and they do a lot of good.

Homer and Foe - what percentage of my PPA membership ended up being spent on my local trails?

I don't see PPA working on the cycling paths in Somerset West that I make use of everyday. They get taken care of by my Municipality.

My weekly spam-mails from PPA are aimed at roadies, very little content concerns Mountain Goats. I've seen zero value in my membership.

What PPA says its contributed toward and what it has actually contributed toward are not the same thing....

last year PPA gave AMA R95000 for trail maintenance in Tokai.

The year before it was a little less for Jonkershoek.

PPA is not AMA"s biggest benefactor IIRC, alot of AMA's funds is raised my membership, local businesses and cycling distributors. Donations from NGO's and even government money makes up a larger portion of AMA's funding.

National Parks is one of the biggest contributors.

PPA does not offer me anything  except the same faces every year tellingus about why they could deliver on last years plans but how they intend to improve for next year. I got tired of hollow promises and incompetence so I voted with my wallet and put my money into an organisation that delivers a greater return.

AMA is a much better investment and MEurant and Arina, quite frankly do a much better job than what PPA does.

So thanks for the long wish list of PPA contributions but the truth behind the list is usually far less impressive.

Well thanks all for your contributions to this thread. I got the information I was looking for.

As a MTBer I will move on and go with AMA. My passion lies on the trails and I want to ensure that my contributions get ploughed back into those trails.

OK' date=' so after reading the long list of PPA projects I see nothing done to benefit me.

I'm selfish and my contribution must be to me personal benefit!!!

So, sod all the PPA charity cases as I'm now 100% convinced to discontinue my membership.

AMA seems to hit the spot. At least I see their work and I personally benefit from them.

[/quote']

Not sure if AMARIDER is for you then either.

AMA is a non-profit and is about what YOU can do for the sport of MTB and not about what AMA can do for you.

Sure many members just pay their subs and expect Meurant and Arina to do their magic (which they do) with the money paid.

However the attitude should not be what is in it for me.

(Actually that is the bottom line of what is wrong in SA; everything is about me and my immediate personal gratification...)

Join AMA, but then become a participating member; get a local club going, who can facilitate local access arrangements with land owners to open up new trails etc.; put some organised effort into building and maintaining your local trails; support the AMA events by riding or helping etc.

This way you build and enhance the sport of MTB and of course you also benefit, in exactly the way you want!

Thanks for the advice Mountain Lion.

If AMA membership entails getting more involved in the sport then I would say that its what club membership should be about.

You can choose which level of AMA membership will suit you.

You can join for as littler as R125 per year which means you can jsut sit back and reap the rewards of AMA's work or you can sign up for the premium package which gives you more gifts and builder status at R1000 per annum.

you choose