PPA Alternatives

Christopher Brunsdon

Like many others I've got my PPA membership but I feel as a MTBer that there is zero benefit for me. I don't see them building trails in Somerset West or actually doing anything useful at races.

Bigg question, what are the alternatives. I understand that having a CSA licence is still feasible even for the few races I do. I'm not bothered with seeding as I'm there on the trails to enjoy myself.

And that useless Racetec timing chip was a waste of money. Have not seen any timing mats at the races I've done.

Suggestions, comments.

I'm considering on rather supporting Amarider - they are more visible than anyone else at race events.

Nah, PPA is worthless. Zero benefit to MTBers. They have not donated a cent to MTB trails in 2009 if I recall correctly. They gladly take your cash but deliver zero services for the privilege.

AMA's work can be seen at trails all around the western cape.

But alas, make up your own mind. Let me drop the subject lest I be accussed of spewing venom again. Some people just can't handle the truth.

Nah' date=' PPA is worthless. Zero benefit to MTBers. They have not donated a cent to MTB trails in 2009 if I recall correctly. They gladly take your cash but deliver zero services for the privilege.
AMA's work can be seen at trails all around the western cape.

But alas, make up your own mind. Let me drop the subject lest I be accussed of spewing venom again. Some people just can't handle the truth.
[/quote']

Nah..not venom....just drivel:

The specific projects that received funding from the PPA in 2009, in alphabetical order, are:<?: PREFIX = O />

AMARIDER:  Exploration of new MTB trails in CAPE NATURE Reserves (Western Cape)

AMARIDER: Establishment of trails in Lower Tokai Forest, Western Cape (Western Cape)

ANNA FOUNDATION: Continuation of rural cycling initiative in the Stellenbosch/Franschhoek area (Boland)

ASIBAVIKELE PROJECT: Donating bicycles to AIDS caregivers (Boland)

AZAAD YOUTH SERVICES: Urban commuting initiative and the introduction of cycling to youngsters from a previously disadvantaged community (Western Cape)

CALITZDORP HIGH: Rural commuting project and introduction of cycling to learners from a previously disadvantaged community (Southern Cape)

CEDAR HIGH: Supporting the continuation and growth of the school?s development cycling initiative (Western Cape)

CITRUSDAL MTB CLUB: The construction of MTB trails to be used for the Citrusdal MTB event and for touring cyclists throughout the year (Western Cape)

COMMUTING: Funding for a Non-Motorised Transport workshop presented by the University of Cape Town (Western Cape)

COMMUTING: Production of a ?safe cycling? video for bus drivers (national)

CRASH SITE PARK/ GENESIS CYCLE CLUB: Construction of a fun BMX track in Strandfontein (Western Cape)
DE-AL CYCLING/WP Schools Cycling Association: Supporting a training initiative of development cyclists from the Western Cape, and assisting the WP scholars team to participate in the 2009 Eric van Enter inter-provincials (Western Cape)

ELGIN EARLY LEARNING FOUNDATION: Rural development cycling and commuting programme in Grabouw (Western Cape)

FREEWHEELERS CYCLING: Supporting the development club?s MTB initiative (Western Cape)

GEORGE FREDERICKS SCHOOL: Rural commuting project (Northern Cape)

HERBERTSDALE CYCLE CLUB:  Supporting the development club?s initiative to train road cyclists from the area (Southern Cape)

HOUT BAY DRUG ACTION GROUP: Supporting the project to keep rehabilitated youths off the streets by introducing them to cycling (Western Cape)

LANGEBAAN BIKER BOYS: Continued support of their development cycling initiative to train and develop road cyclists (Western Cape)

KNYSNA SPORTS SCHOOL: Support for a MTB initiative for kids from previously disadvantaged areas (Southern Cape)

MUHAMMADEYAH CYCLING CLUB: Supporting the continuation and growth of the school?s development cycling initiative (Western Cape)

NGAMATHUBA PROJECT: Rural commuting project in Wilderness (Southern Cape)

PIETERMARITZBURG BMX CLUB: Sponsorship of 40 BMX bikes and helmets for underprivileged young riders (KwaZulu-Natal)

RHADSPORT CYCLING CLUB: Supporting the development club?s road and track cycling initiative (Boland)

SA AGAINST DRUNK DRIVING: Supporting the campaign against drunk driving (national)

SAFE CYCLING COURSES: Additional support for safe cycling courses presented in conjunction with the City of Cape Town (Western Cape)

SOUTHERN CAPE CYCLING ASSOCIATION: Provision of bicycles to assist riders from previously disadvantaged areas to participate in cycling  (Southern Cape)

STEENBERG HIGH CYCLE CLUB: Supporting the continuation and growth of the school?s development cycling initiative (Western Cape)

SUBURBS CYCLING CLUB: Development of club and training of cyclists from previously disadvantaged areas (Western Cape)

THE BICYCLE PARK: Funding to construct a fun BMX/MTB park at the Abe Sher Stadium in Bothasig (Western Cape)

VELOKHAYA BMX OVAL: Continuation of PPA?s support for their (competitive) BMX track (Western Cape)

VELOKHAYA COMPETITIVE CYCLING PROGRAMME: Funding for the Elite team for six months (Western Cape)

VELOKHAYA SAFE CYCLING SCHOOL PROGRAM: Continued support for the Engen Safe Cycling programme to teach safe cycling principles annually to some 5000+ kids in Western Cape schools (Western Cape)

WESTERN PROVINCE CYCLING ASSOCIATION: Provision of event management, logistical and financial assistance for the 2009 Western Province Road and Time Trial Championships (Western Cape)

WESTLAKE YOUTH PROJECT: Support for an urban commuting project to introduce youths from previously disadvantaged area to off- road cycling (Western Cape)
ZUVUYA /IMPLENDLE: Donating bicycles to caregivers in the Kwa-Zulu Natal Midlands

Homer, Ek sien hierdie 2 daar:

SA AGAINST DRUNK DRIVING: Supporting the campaign against drunk driving (national)

SAFE CYCLING COURSES: Additional support for safe cycling courses presented in conjunction with the City of Cape Town (Western Cape)

Enige detail? Waar het dit gewees gehou op watter pad etc.

Ek wil net bietjie uitkyk oor die naweek of ek die VRUGTE van die projekies iewers kan sien.

As a noob, I am confused!

I am a member of a club. (TygerbergMTB)

Is it correct that there is no need for PPA membership in terms of licence or whatever.....?

What additional benefits do the Ama thing give?

As a noob' date=' I am confused!

I am a member of a club. (TygerbergMTB)

Is it correct that there is no need for PPA membership in terms of licence or whatever.....?

What additional benefits do the Ama thing give?
[/quote']

you can get a licence through a club, the csa, or a csa affiliate.

go to www.amarider.co.za to find out more.

COMMUTING: Production of a ?safe cycling? video for bus drivers (national)

Must be a waste of money on that project as the bus drivers have definitely not paid attention to the video ... this is a fact as I spend many a day commuting and I look like a Christmas tree out there so visibility should not be an issue.

OK, so after reading the long list of PPA projects I see nothing done to benefit me.

I'm selfish and my contribution must be to me personal benefit!!!

So, sod all the PPA charity cases as I'm now 100% convinced to discontinue my membership.

AMA seems to hit the spot. At least I see their work and I personally benefit from them.

its always difficult to part with hard earned cash especially when the desired outcome is not achieved - I am pretty happy with PPA but I am also a full on roadie. So I have zero experiance of them from a mtb point of view.  one thing I can say is that to be out on the trails and forests of the western cape must be so flipping awsome i wouldnt even gkive a flying ... about who finished where.  In fact i would just kep doing the race trail over and over again till I fell of my bike.  No cars, no taxis, no buses, no pedestrians, no near death experiances unless you want them.  MMM is there a mtber in me just dying to get out?

Homer' date=' Ek sien hierdie 2 daar:

Enige detail? Waar het dit gewees gehou op watter pad etc.

Ek wil net bietjie uitkyk oor die naweek of ek die VRUGTE van die projekies iewers kan sien.
[/quote']

Sorry Popeye, ek het nie details nie.  Net gedink ek sal die lys hier pos om bietjie ewewig in die gesprek te bring...miskien moet jy vir Karin of Steve e-pos en vra.

OK' date=' so after reading the long list of PPA projects I see nothing done to benefit me.

I'm selfish and my contribution must be to me personal benefit!!!

So, sod all the PPA charity cases as I'm now 100% convinced to discontinue my membership.

AMA seems to hit the spot. At least I see their work and I personally benefit from them.
[/quote']

So are AMA building any trails in Somerset-West?  Most of the projects that AMA have been involved in (locally, including Jonkershoek)  over the past 4- 5 years has had financial input from the PPA.