MTB 1st Purchase

W1Z@RD

Hi Guys,

I am considering buying a MTB. I currently road ride and know some stuff about the frames,groupsets, wheels etc. I have no clue on MTB and want to buy for december to ride while on leave.

I am currently looking at a Bianchi Mutt 6600 (R9999) or Bianchi DOSS 4800 (R4799) from Solomons ( http://www.solomons.co.za/node/1026).

Now, in road bikes, Bianchi you pay through your "you know what".... these seems very well priced.

What is the catch? Is Bianchi or these models no good?

I am only going to use the bikes for recreational use so don't need fancy.

What are the things I should consider?

Any advice will be appreciated

As with road bikes look at the equipment level of the bikes. Entry level bikes will have cable operated disc brakes(not as effective as hydraulic but still fine for recreational riding).A entry level MTB will still give you a good few years of service(if maintained) until you find out you never want to see another piece of flat tar again.

Agree. I got an entry level (budget limis) and have no complaints. Only did 2 upgrades that made a difference - new saddle from PlanetX and then upgrade the V-brakes to XTs from the cheap OEMs.

Last upgrade will be a new shock (also from PlanetX) then my bike is perfect for me.

One important thing on components like brakes is that is better to settle for an older tech like V-brakes (if its a good model) than to go new and buy entry level (like cable discs - those really cheap ones).

Most LBSs will advise you correctly in this sense.

Agree with Mr. Brundson there - but if you're going to be spending 10k on a hardtail, you're going to be getting something with a decent level of spec.

Just don't go for the name without having ridden the bike first! You'll probably find that you can get a Merida / Felt / Trek / Silverback with a fair bit beter spec simply because they're not Bianchi. Shop around, and have a look at all the options.

At the 10k pricepoint, you'll definitely be in the market of Hydraulic discs (Juicy 3 or SLX) slx / xt components and a decent-ish entry level fork.

Just do your homework before you buy - and ask questions on here. You might get some stupid-ass replies (especially if you start talking about nipples) but you'll get some nuggets as well.

Me, personally - I'd go for the Merida or Felt. But make sure they come with the external bb's as some bikes are still specced with the internal ones.

HAPPY HUNTING!

Take a look at Silverback. You get the most bike for the money you spent. I think their Nabraska goes for around R9k

http://www.silverbacklab.com/int_site/specs/nabraska.jpg

You will struggle to find another brand that will beat that for value.

My advice, mountain biking is very addictive and recreation only lasts that long Wink. So buy a decent bike from the beginning

philip.maree2009-12-11 02:55:03

agree with philip. silverbacks are decently specced for the price. friend of mine bought a nebraska some 2 months ago and its a very nice bike.

good luck with the hunt!

Thanks for the input guys, appreciate it. I am taking my road bike in on Monday for its new frame at Linden cycles and will look at the Merida's and Silverbacks. Going to need to do some more homework... excel here I come! hehe

Any advice will be appreciated Yes maybe for the first time, then you will want to do a MTB race then you will be hooked

Only for the first ride, then you will do a race and be hooked, buy the best you can from the start

Maybe a trek 9.9  (lol)

you right! I did the same thing with my road bike... now i wish i spent that extra cash and got the Colnago. The more I look around, the higher I allow my budget to grow ;)W1Z@RD2009-12-11 05:59:20

Any advice will be appreciated Yes maybe for the first time' date=' then you will want to do a MTB race then you will be hooked

Only for the first ride, then you will do a race and be hooked, buy the best you can from the start

Maybe a trek 9.9  (lol)
[/quote']

Get the best Frame and Fork you can afford. Those are the big value items that you would not want to replace quickly. Next would be to get the best wheels. For the rest, it can be replaced over time.

Another very important decision you need to make is whether you want a hardtail or dual suspension. I bought a hardtail merida rode it 4 times and thought mountainbiking is so not for me. Then about 6 months later i took a dual sus for a spin. The next few weeks went shopping and bought a GT marathon for 20k and now my road bike is collecting dust. If you enjoy longer rides the dual sus is the way 2 go!Clap