Road bike vs. MTB

ewep

I'm looking around, like always, for a new bike.  I enjoy my road cycling, try to do a few races every year.  And now the question.  Should I (1) buy myself a road bike to train and race with or (2) get myself a decent Hardtail.  To clarify, I already have a full sus MTB so the hardtail will be used for "easy" and flat MTB races as well.

• Replies 38
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I also go with a decent HT. You will notice the diffs on flatter XC routes such as Crater and Babalas routes.

Thanks DR and Scotty.  Only thing is will it be cool for road training and racing?  I do see guys doing it, but very seldom!

Get yourself a DECENT hardtail. Altough there is no easy MTB race on a HT, you'll just go so much faster!

well ewep daar het jy jou antwoord......jy gaan dit nie so baie gebruik nie so koop 'n decent raodbike

ek was in dieselfde dillemma...mtb of roadbike...sorry roadbike het gewen. Sal liewer daardie paar duisend op pad spandeer want hoekom wil jy met R30 000 in die modder gaan speel....smileys/smiley36.gif

ewep anything on a MTB is cool !!!! And what gave you the idea I am biased ? BTW get a Raleigh smileys/smiley36.gif

Sal liewer daardie paar duisend op pad spandeer want hoekom wil jy met R30 000 in die modder gaan speel....smileys/smiley36.gif

Where's the joy in boring yourself to death with R30k under your ass on the road' date='when you can play with it in the mud? [img']smileys/smiley36.gif[/img]

Jissie DR, amoryns, julle 2 praat van GROOT geld.  But seriously, I am looking at one of 2 bikes (both 2nd hand, both in excellent condition).  One is a Look KX Light, 2005 model, 9spd Dura-Ace.  Second is a Trek 9.8, think 2004 model, full XTR without discs.  So, two fires and me in the middle.

BTW amoryns, wat het jy toe gekoop?

smileys/smiley32.gifsmileys/smiley32.gif . And we can mud-wrestle afterwards , on tar u get sore knees !

Ewep, i do our road club rides on my HT fitted with slicks. When i 1st did this i got funny looks from some, but with lockout it feels like a road bike, and i can climb as good as others on road bikes including those that gave me funny looks.

I do most of my road training on it, less chance of puncture, easier to handle and if your DS is out of action you can use the HT off road. If your road bike is out of action you can use the HT on road.

If your road bike is out of action you can use the HT on road.

That's like having sex in your parents bed. It's not the place and it just feels wrong... smileys/smiley36.gif

It does ? Done 5 Argus , 2 Burger Sanlam , Tour D'urbs etc on MTB ! Awesome . Nobody bump (or try to) you , nobody swerves in front of you etc . I am not sure if it is out of respect but the roadies give you space to race when you on ur MTB !! Even better - leave the nobblies so they can hear u coming !