Northern farm

doreen

• Replies 79
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

IF we don't take a stand against these people we will be driven out of the few spots where we can still enjoy ourselves in safety. They have realized that there is easy takings at NF and they will keep on coming back until they are met with some fierce resistance.

@ the person that was robbed. What kind of arms did they carry? Did you get a look at their faces?

Please PM me with some facts.Schwynn2010-01-04 01:49:37

Also look at getting the land owners to request SAPS Mounted Unit to patrol the area on horses at peak riding times.

I hear what you are saying, problem is they are mostly looking for the guys cycling alone or maybe in pairs so they have the upper hand in numbers and at any time.

It happened at around 10am, I was with mtbn00b and skaduwee when we came across the guy who was hijacked, he said he dragged about 500m into the millie field by the 3 guys, 2 with screwdrivers and 1 with a pistol, they were well organised as he said they smsed the pick up vehicle, a white bakie, he said every time someone passed he would cock the pistol, so these guys are ready to shoot...he was in the millie field for about an hour.

If you are planning a sting op, just be very careful, lives don't men anything to these thugs.
Chip2010-01-04 02:23:38

yip started riding about 10:30 if i am correct. so i agree with chip it must have happened around 10:00. Luckily it did not look like they harmed the guy. it is just freaky to think that so many people rode past the mielie fields not knowing about the poor guy that was hi jacked and still in the fields

With regards to where stolen bikes go. I've got a friend (aquaintance - OPC also knows him) who bought a full susp Schwinn from an African gentleman he saw riding it on the road. I saw aimilar person riding a Giant with Fox fork near the airport, complete with his airport bib.

When my bike was stolen from Kyalami, about a year later the Polar was handed in at Cajees Southgate/dale for repairs. Because it was still registered to me, Polar phoned me to ask what happened as it was beyond repair.

Cajees wouldn't give me any details of the person who handed it in and showed absolutely no interest in my story .... I will never support Cajees. If they are the last bike shop on the planet I'll take up running rather than give them a cent.
idrive2010-01-04 05:07:15

With regards to where stolen bikes go. I've got a friend (aquaintance) who bought a full sup Schwinn from an African gentleman he saw riding it on the road. I saw aimilar person riding a Giant with Fox fork near the airport' date=' complete with his airport bib.

When my bike was stolen from Kyalami, about a year later the Polar was handed in at Cajees Southgate for repairs. Because it was still registered to me, Polar phoned me to ask what happened as it was beyond repair.

Cajees wouldn't give me any details of the person who handed it in and showed absolutely no interest in my story .... I will never support Cajees. If they are the last bike shop on the planet I'll take up running rather than give them a cent.
[/quote']

wouldn't his or her details have been on the form the bike shop fills in before they sent it off to polar?

I work for altech netstar and might be able to organise a Guardian unit. Small and fits on a bike. Can be tracked as long as it is in a cellphone area.

I just spent the last 3 weeks in the western cape on holiday. During that I cycled every second day, mostly alone, but never once did I feel threatened. Sure I did routes like harkerville and petrus se brand, but NF is the equivalent up here (as far as traffic goes).

One thing I will say, is that residents of the WC are far more relaxed. Sure there is crime, but if you compare it to up here, its virtually non existent.

Im young (26) and Ive decided that RSA is my home. However JHB is just no place that I would like to bring a family up in. People here have absolutely no egard for life and each other. My last hope for RSA is to move to the WC in search of a less crime ridden city. I refuse to bring up my kids here anymore, this place is totally out of hand. And as for the 'potential' salary sacrifice, keep th 10% extra I'd get here, Id rather live a peacefull life.

This story about NF has devastated me. I normally ride with people but there are the time that I have to ride alone and I pick NF.

Ill think twice about going alone.!!

I work for altech netstar and might be able to organise a Guardian unit. Small and fits on a bike. Can be tracked as long as it is in a cellphone area.

whereabouts on the bike?

whereabouts on the bike?

It has to go somewhere on the frame...perhaps seat bag even. As long as it can pick up the gps satellites.

We are currently working an very small units. The previous units were a but bulky.

Will see if I can get all the info (specs, pics etc) and perhaps post it on the forum.

on the frame? in a seat bag? wont the jackers just take it off/out, and chuck it? Surely it needs to go in the frame?

whereabouts on the bike?

It has to go somewhere on the frame...perhaps seat bag even. As long as it can pick up the gps satellites.

We are currently working an very small units. The previous units were a but bulky.

Will see if I can get all the info (specs' date=' pics etc) and perhaps post it on the forum.

[/quote']

just had a peek on the netstar website. would be kewl if they could develop something that would be hard to find. i remember reading about a device that could be inserted in a seatpost, but i seem to remember that that was a scanning chip, rather than a tracking device.

Yes, the guys can just remove it. The idea of the Guardian unit is not really for theft prevention.

Its for your safety. People can check where you are and netstar can recover you. You can give the unit for your children to take to the movies etc. It has a emergency button on it that notifies some contacts and netstar of an emergency.