Heart Rate Advice

Bought myself a poalr heart rate monitor and used it for the first time last Saturday. I pushed myself to the limit to see what my max will be. I am 38 and using the basic formula of 220 minus age would give me 182. On Sat I reached 197. Is this possible?

• Replies 32
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Bought myself a poalr heart rate monitor and used it for the first time last Saturday. I pushed myself to the limit to see what my max will be. I am 38 and using the basic formula of 220 minus age would give me 182. On Sat I reached 197. Is this possible?

Did you vomit? fall over? I think that technically, it IS possible, but HIGHLY unlikely...

Check the battery on your strap. Check for potential interference. Are you using conductive gel?

Oh, but wait that formula you give is not really that good for serious sports people... There are better ways... And everyone's max HR is individual... 

yup, that formula is a real guesstimate based (if I remember correctly) on someone who isn't that fit. If you're fot, higher HR shouldn't be a problem.

Now wait until you catch yourself monitoring your HR in the middle of the night to try and reduce your resting HR reading!!

Did you vomit? fall over? I think that technically, it IS possible, but HIGHLY unlikely...

No, was fine then. Next day felt like dying!!

that formula os for the avg person who doesn't exercise.  you must do a test like the one you did to determine your max then work for there. i know guys in the elite bunch who's max HR is 180 while others is 210

It is possible but such a large descrepancy is not likely. I am more inclined to think the following as previously stated.

Check battery

Make sure your strap is wet on the elctrodes

Bunch riding may cause you to pick up someone elses sensor

Electrical power cables cause the monitor to go hay wire

Which Polar have you got?

Yes totally possible

I constantly push my heart rate 218-220 max.

But remember it?s only your peak max.

Your aerobic threshold is much lower

My aerobic threshold is +/-190 bpm ( I am 37 )

"Check battery

Make sure your strap is wet on the elctrodes

Bunch riding may cause you to pick up someone elses sensor

Electrical power cables cause the monitor to go hay wire"

Battery is fine - Brand new.

Use gel on the strap.

Was allone.

Agree with the elctricale cables, but I did this three times at different areas and made sure that possible interferances were not there as per manual. 

Battery is fine - Brand new.

Use gel on the strap.

Was allone.

Agree with the elctricale cables' date=' but I did this three times at different areas and made sure that possible interferances were not there as per manual. 
[/quote']

So then you already answered your original question... It is entirely possible, and you see above several others confirming it...

schauff, dont worry, jy sal nie dood.

Eks 46 en my max is 196 en ek average in 'n race about 190 - 192 oor 80km. so by the way, my resting is 42. voor verlede week voor ek siek geword het)

Daai 220 less verjaardag is rubbish.popeye2007-06-08 05:54:27

197 is very much possible, fluctuations by means of dry electrodes or electricity interference is normally way more than that.

If your monitor is "A OK" and you are achieving 197 I would not worry about it. Your heart is a fail safe mechanism and will not let "itself" go past what is not safe for your body to withstand.

My max is 184 which I can achieve but to get to 185 is a mere dream, however I am not sure why anyone would want to get to max heart rate because as Orca says your aerobic threshold is much lower. What you need to determine is what your aerobic threshold is and ride between those limits and you will find yourself far more successful.

Not that I am saying you are riding balls to the wall all the time.

197 is very much possible' date=' fluctuations by means of dry electrodes or electricity interference is normally way more than that.[/quote']

Ya, like when you go for a recovery ride, and don't ever go over like 25km/h, and then you see your Max HR was over 200Big%20smile

If your monitor is "A OK" and you are achieving 197 I would not worry about it. Your heart is a fail safe mechanism and will not let "itself" go past what is not safe for your body to withstand.

My max is 184 which I can achieve but to get to 185 is a mere dream' date=' however I am not sure why anyone would want to get to max heart rate because as Orca says your aerobic threshold is much lower. What you need to determine is what your aerobic threshold is and ride between those limits and you will find yourself far more successful.

Not that I am saying you are riding balls to the wall all the time.
[/quote']

Yes, but you can raise your AT by increasing the upper HR limit over time...