Wheels

tarryng

A few months ago, I knew nothing about group sets, frames, cleats etc . . . think I've got to grips with the basics there, but wheels is still a foreign subject.

So, what makes a wheel good . . . weight, the spoke design, the bearings?! And who are the leading manufacturers?

T

weight must be good, it's one of the few area's on the bike you can save a lot on. Aerican Classics are light weight and not to expencive imo.

smileys/smiley4.gif

Now there's a topic I never knew too much on either until I got to grips with a few terms & understood the basics.....Now I know something & light wheels makes all the difference---in racing that is.

So many good one's around---depends what you like & how much U willing to spend if U gonna get wheels!!!!!

"DTsmileys/smiley4.gif"

smileys/smiley4.gif

Now there's a topic I never knew too much on either until I got to grips with a few terms & understood the basics.....Now I know something & light wheels makes all the difference---in racing that is.

So many good one's around---depends what you like & how much U willing to spend if U gonna get wheels!!!!!

"DTsmileys/smiley4.gif"

They say if the frame is the heart of a bicycle, then the wheels are the soul. Wheels can alter a bicycles ride quality quite a lot.

It's a fairly technical subject. Wheels must be immensely strong but at the same time quite compliant. When you stand up and sprint you don't want them flexing sideways, but by the same token, on a rough surface one wants some absorbtion from them.

A mate of mine has got Campag Eurus (spell?) wheels but reckons the set one notch below, Zhonda's I think they're called, are almost as good but a lot cheaper.

Do take your weight into consideration when buying wheels! Some have a max. body weight rating, make very sure of this. Otherwise you'll perpetually have broken spokes, cracks etc.

Incidently, my mate with the Campags is a 85 - 90 kg job and he's never had a problem.

So light is definitely better!! I have a Raleigh which came with Shimano WHR 550 wheels which weigh just over 1kg and seem to be made entirely of aluminium . . . are these good, bad or ugly?!

T

IMHO the WHR 550s (or the newer version, the WHR 560s, which is about 45g lighter) is excellent value for money.  This is in contrast to the earlier WHR 540's, which were crap.  The WHR 550/560 is a Shimano 105 level wheel, so in the middle of the range.  These are by no means great wheels, but at a retail tag of R 1400 you'll not find anything better.

What you need to ask yourself is if spending R 3500+ for a wheelset is going to give you any real advantage over what you have at this stage.

tarryng, there is nothing wrong with those wheels and at your weight they will cope with anything you put them through

Thanks . . . no intention to upgrade, was really just interested in learning more techie stuff - I suspect wheels make a lot of difference for pro cyclists smileys/smiley1.gif

All wheels are ugly compared to a nice pair of deep section Cardon whatever?s. I doubt your wheels are that light. Wheel sets are mostly in between 1000g ? 2000g per pair. I would say anything lower than 1500 is a good weight.

You're right Bike-Thingy, on closer inspection on the Shimano site, I see it's just the rear wheel that weighs 1kg . . . another 793 grams for the front one smileys/smiley9.gif tarryng38793.6183449074

<?:namespace prefix = o ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:office:office" />

But like the guys say, spending thousands of rands on a weight saving of 400-600grams are silly except if you have spare cash laying around or having a mid life crises, this is in no way shape or form directed at Cruxiesmileys/smiley2.gif I wish my almost sponsor would buy me some pretty bling bling wheels?.that's the only way I'll ever have somesmileys/smiley19.gif

ag thingy, be thankfull you at least have an almost-sponsor to try convince... some of us just live in utter despair knowing we'll never have our dream components (zipp 404's come to mind...)

mmmmm so true...we could always ram one of those cash in transit vehiclessmiley4.gif It's been picking up in popularity since last couple of years...

dunno how much of an impact our little aluminium and carbon bikes will have on the van..... i doubt we'd even be able to scratch it let along stop it!