Cradle Meeting: Agenda of Solutions

mr ples

Cradle Residents, Cyclist and other interested and affected parties Meeting: All said and Done, we have had many comments made, some worth while noting, others just a good laugh (Cradle Route). However with the proposed meeting looming can we get to business. Here is my proposal to the Cycling fraternity:

1, Suggest the Organisation/s that should be represented at such a meeting

2, such organisations nominate your representatives to attend the proposed meeting

3, Suggest a Chairman or Co-chairmen

4, Proposed agenda items, and reasons why.

5, Confirm the Date, Time and Venue

Likewise, I will consult with the Cradle and surrounding Communities and get their representation. Garth Mes has been at the forefront and is already nominated for this purpose.

We are looking for workable, practical solutions. Your vauble in put will be appreciated.

Regards Trevormr ples2010-01-17 13:26:12

To start with, perhaps CGC and CSA should step up to the plate here and perhaps have a proxy by cycle clubs involved.

Definitely CGC, its what clubs pay affiliation fees for to serve the interests of cyclists.  

I don't mind representing the business in the Area, i own a hotel in the Cradle and i am a cyclist myself and use this roads on a daily basis.

I can present whatever is discussed in our monthly General Manager's Forum

my email for future references joaquin @ valverde . co . za

joaquin, please say hello to your mrs :-)

perhaps a copy of the road traffic regulations should be "tabled" - to clarify salient points such as what actually constitutes "keeping left" (ie not crossing the middle line) as well as the fact that "persons operating pedal cycles and motorcycles may treat each lane as a roadway" - ie they may pass each other within the same lane where 4-or-more wheeled vehicles need to wait for a gap in another lane and change lanes to pass.

SIMPLE SOLUTION: RESPECT FOR ONE ANOTHER.

Lets us all treat the other the same way we would want to be treated.

The cradle route has become the cyclists haven for training, racing etc.

Most of the guesthouses/businesses has opened up the land for our Mountain bikers as well let us return the favour requested of us and simply follow the road rules

What has been overlooked by this debarcle is the new wave of bike jacking taking place on the route esp. around the bottom area circle near the Lion enclosures.

To start with' date=' perhaps CGC and CSA should step up to the plate here and perhaps have a proxy by cycle clubs involved.

[/quote']

Dude, please share the drug's. We all know CGC and CSA (like any other political party) won't do anything!!!

Im all for the sorting out of this saga. Just one question. At this moment it seems that we think all cyclists belong to a club and read the hub. How are they going to get the message out to all the "others" as somewhere down the line some cyclist is going to do the same and its going to start all over.

Hats off  for trying to sort it.

Lee

Everyone can go into whichever regulations and laws they want but what is written in the law can't take into account practical aspects that arise "on the ground". Example: Law says keep left. There is a big pothole or glass in the keep left area. The cyclist has to move towards the middle of the road to avoid that. The law can't take into account things like that or you will end up with 1 Act of 5000 pages!

As such the most effective, cheapest and lasting solution will be a change of attitude to one of tolerance as well as a "gentlemen's agreement" to tolerate others. It is natural for people dislike certain things or how things are done etc but the fact is that we are all different and have to tolerate others differences. If we can do that then the whole issue will resolve itself.

The Cradle Residents must just remember that most cyclists in the Cradle area are probably recreational cyclists (the Argus and 94.7 riders whose bikes gather dust for the rest of the year) who are not on the Hub and who probably not as "clued up" as the cyclists on the Hub.

Found this on the CARD facebook page;

by Daniel Scoville Bomfim - I wonder what it is that makes some people think that their commute and/or destination is so much more important than another persons life. Everyone is in a hurry, and everyone has the "right of the way". What they don't have, is common sense. Forget the legal aspects, we are talking about lives. Is it so hard to respect that?!

I think this is what we should strive for, Respect and common courtesy!!

To ALL cyclists riding thru the Cradle, I appeal to you all to be Courteous & Respectful on these roads. May GOD Bless you all and keep you safe!!

< ="-" ="text/; =utf-8">< name="ProgId" ="Word.">< name="Generator" ="Microsoft Word 12">< name="Originator" ="Microsoft Word 12"><>

I went out to Teak for the first time on Saturday. I have

read a lot of what people have said about the Cradle residents the Cyclists

that use the Cradle route etc.

I got there just before 7am, Shortly afterwards I hear this shout..."MOVE

OVER" from some guy hanging out the back window of a car as they drove

past a group of around 10 cyclists. So much for being in the quiet country

side.

On my way back I had the "pleasure" of driving past the cyclist using

the road. Some polite, one guy waved as I took a "wide birth" past

him, some guy completely oblivious to my presence as he "could only"

have been out drinking the night before and had STILL not sobered up as he was

all over the road......he was on his own so maybe he had fallen asleep. I then

came up to a group of 4 guys, white solid line coming up a hill. These guys

were driving in what I term "the car group" 1 bikes where each on

your car tyres would be. I sat behind them for just over a kilometre so I have

sneaky suspicion they knew I was there but they would not budge so I did what I

had done to all the riders before and went past them on the other side of the

road.

I also did a short stint on the road back to Teak as I had

to cut my MTB ride short and hang on there was a distinct ?cycling? lane. Fair

enough there was no ?yellow paint? to distinguish it but there was a ?very

distinct? colour difference which was more than wide enough for me to ride on.

How far that goes on for I could not tell you.

This was my first experience out on that road and from what

I can see the ?Car drivers? and the ?Cyclists? are just as bad as each other.

We are lucky enough to have a road to cycle out into the ?wilderness?

and the ?residents? are lucky enough to live in a very beautiful part of the

world, pity it can?t be done in harmony.

Firefox, I suspect that the actions of your "car group" were probably more of an inconvenice act and they thought that you were one of the cradle residents. They probably would not have done that if they knew otherwise. It is just one of the reactions and counter-reactions of this whole issue.

Cradle Residents' date=' Cyclist and other interested and affected parties Meeting: All said and Done, we have had many comments made, some worth while noting, others just a good laugh (Cradle Route). However with the proposed meeting looming can we get to business. Here is my proposal to the Cycling fraternity:

1, Suggest the Organisation/s that should be represented at such a meeting

2, such organisations nominate your representatives to attend the proposed meeting

3, Suggest a Chairman or Co-chairmen

4, Proposed agenda items, and reasons why.

5, Confirm the Date, Time and Venue

Likewise, I will consult with the Cradle and surrounding Communities and get their representation. Garth Mes has been at the forefront and is already nominated for this purpose.

We are looking for workable, practical solutions. Your vauble in put will be appreciated.

Regards Trevor[/quote']

point 2: as they both have their sat (and some sunday) clubrides through the area, a representative from Club100 & Cyclelab.