Ayup Light Systems

Bikeout

Go Lefty i am not sure what you mean about dangerous battery's?

You get 4 x Lights, 3 x Battery's, Rear Red Light Caps..... etc

I bought the AY-UP Lights based on the fact that they have the Brightest LED's and smallest battery's. (I also read the article them 10 out of 10 in the MBR review.)

There is also a little more than that in the box and can be used for multiple sports, Hiking, camping, cycling, trekking etc....

I dont think you can do that with the Nightlightning's or Lupines systems. Its would be difficult to cart the huge light and huge battery pack around on your head etc.....

Just what i got in my box packed in there was the following. Quite impressive. (Quoted from EasyGIS..... http://www.easygis.co.za/shop/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=75&products_id=499)

2 x Lights, 2 x Handlebar mounts, 4 x Light mounting bands, 1 x Gecko Light kit, 1 x Gecko battery kit, 2 x HALF EPIC high / low & flashing batteries, 1 x Half Epic battery pouch, 1 x Half Epic lock down strap, 1 x EPIC high / low & flashing battery, 1 x Epic battery pouch 1 x Epic lock down strap, 1 x 110V - 240V Adaptor, 1 x Dual Channel Lithium Polymer Charger, 1 x 12 Volt Adaptor (Cigarette Lighter Adaptor), 1 x Extension cable 1200mm long, enables battery to be placed in backpack or pocket, 1 x Handlebar rubber packer kit to suit Diameters 25mm & 32mm bars,1 x Bundle of 4 cable ties,1 x Headband kit,2 x Red Saxon caps,1 x Waterproof Case ? small , 1 x Wrist band

So id say its probably more than you would get from most other lights.

• Replies 40
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Thanks Hubbers for all the fantastic advice - just wish I'd done this BEFORE I bought the Lupine Betty system back in November.

My research shows Ayup to be the way to go and it seems a number of you support this view. I'll get in touch with Easygis.

Much appreciated as this is a complex space and quite tricky if you don't have access to all the right info and personal experiences.

Thanks again - Splashout!

20100121_060226_30210.jpg

my dad uses the maxx d light..

and blows away any other light i've seen so far...

its like having a bus behind you with all it lights on bright... and a few spotlights to be thrown in..

expensive but well worth is

specs taken from crc site

The MaXx-D is our all new 4 LED cable free light unit that boasts just short of a blinding thousand lumen ouput on MaXx setting, in a simple Cable Free package. A logical progression from our multi award winning Exposure MaXx range, the MaXx-D shares the fantastic selling features as the MaXx-2 range including new "SPT - Smart Port Technology?.

? Seoul LED Technology
? 960 Lumen Output (MaXx)
? 3 hour burn time on MaXx, 10 on Ride and 24 on Low
? Lithium Ion Battery Technology
? NEW SPT - Smart Port Technology
? Quick Release Bracket
? Light Mode Indicator / Fuel Guage
? 320 grams with Q.R Bracket
tedibear2010-01-21 06:20:14

Go Lefty i am not sure what you mean about dangerous battery's?

You get 4 x Lights' date=' 3 x Battery's, Rear Red Light Caps..... etc

I bought the AY-UP Lights based on the fact that they have the Brightest LED's and smallest battery's. (I also read the article them 10 out of 10 in the MBR review.)

There is also a little more than that in the box and can be used for multiple sports, Hiking, camping, cycling, trekking etc....

I dont think you can do that with the Nightlightning's or Lupines systems. Its would be difficult to cart the huge light and huge battery pack around on your head etc.....

Just what i got in my box packed in there was the following. Quite impressive. (Quoted from EasyGIS..... http://www.easygis.co.za/shop/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=75&products_id=499)

2 x Lights, 2 x Handlebar mounts, 4 x Light mounting bands, 1 x Gecko Light kit, 1 x Gecko battery kit, 2 x HALF EPIC high / low & flashing batteries, 1 x Half Epic battery pouch, 1 x Half Epic lock down strap, 1 x EPIC high / low & flashing battery, 1 x Epic battery pouch 1 x Epic lock down strap, 1 x 110V - 240V Adaptor, 1 x Dual Channel Lithium Polymer Charger, 1 x 12 Volt Adaptor (Cigarette Lighter Adaptor), 1 x Extension cable 1200mm long, enables battery to be placed in backpack or pocket, 1 x Handlebar rubber packer kit to suit Diameters 25mm & 32mm bars,1 x Bundle of 4 cable ties,1 x Headband kit,2 x Red Saxon caps,1 x Waterproof Case ? small , 1 x Wrist band

So id say its probably more than you would get from most other lights.[/quote']

More does not mean better. all the hardware supplied is not impressive at all. it merely highlights the deficiency of the Ayup system.

Lupine and Nightlightning can both be mounted on hikers head, battery pack will go into your pocket or backpack.

In fact the Lupines and Nightlightning's have features such as SOS flashing thats designed specifically for hikers and other adventure sporters.

With the AYUPS, theuser needs morebatteries to do what a Lupine or NightLightning can do with one battery, reducing the overall weight the user carries and complexity. Ad another battery to either and youhave redundancy.

AYUP's use Li-poly batteries which are widely acknowledged to be dangerous and caution has to be exercised with their use and charging. A nasty tendency to burt into flames while charging is what I would consider dangerous. Balanced chargers are need to ensure they are correctly charged and charging is cut off if they get too hot. They are usuallysuplied with a flame proof charging bag.... nuff said.

Li-ion batteries usually have a charge distribution circuit built into the pack to prevent damage during charging. Their steel casing also makes they safer and less susceptible to damage under MTB conditions. If they are damaged it is much easier to view the damage than with Li-polys which tend to rebound after impact hiding damage from sight. I'll never use a Li-poly battery in my back pocket. Couldend up torching yourself.

Splash bru, you did yourselfa huge favour buying the Lupine. I've had my Edison since 2002, battery pack has lost 1A.hr of capacity over the 8yrs I've had it.

Admittedly the HID is much more fragile than the LEDs used in the Betty.

When I switched to LED's I chose Nightlightning who have been building LED Adventure sports lights based on Super LED's since 2003.

Lithium Iron Phosphate batteries are safer than Li-Poly and wil be the next wave. Price is still very high but that will come down in the next few years.

NightLightning and Lupine uses the brightest LED's currently available, teh CREE XP-G which is an upgrade on those in the Ayup.

The next thing about the NightLightning's or Lupine's is the digital control thats used to regulate the LED's as opposed to the Ayup's resistor.

Digital circuits have minimal loss, resisitors generate heat and they blow, reducing reliability.

So yeah even though the Ayup comes in a pretty box, I'd rather put my money into the quality engineering in Nightlightnings or Lupine's than the packaging of Ayup. Certainly the Ayup's look lovely but the NightLightning's and Lupine's have every bit of versatility and more thrown into a much smaller package.

you say the Ayup is 60grams or so.

the NightLightning and Lupines head units are around 135 and 110 gr each and the bracket used mounts them very centrally on the helmet.

Considering that they have eithe 3 or 4 LED's pllus a heat sink required to cope with over 1A current draw thats actually extremely good.

Oh and both companies prefer the safer, more robust Li-ion batteries for now.

gets my vote

Cool Lefty I better understand now.

But i am more than happy with the AY-UP lights and with the 10 year warranty it can blow up, melt, catch on fire etc im sure they will be fine.

I just like them cause they are super small.....

thats cool, everyone makes their own choices which is great since we're all different.

Their set up is packaged differently but i just wanted to highlight that behind all the gadgets in the box is a fairly simple light system.

Others provide as much with far less hardware.

enjoy th elights, but DO enjoy using them like they're intended.

I get great use outof all my lights.

Ordered some upgrade Leds from Nightlightning yesterday. more brightness, longer run time...

NICE!

Ordered some upgrade Leds from Nightlightning yesterday. more brightness' date=' longer run time...

[/quote']

Which LED's are they ?