Numb Hands

Chubba

Hi All

Have been having problems with numb hands and fingers while mountain biking. My bike has been set up for me and all seems fine except for the hands.

Has anyone used the Ergon handles, i have read these could help? And a good set of gloves, any recommendations?

I've been trying some bar-ends that are contoured to the palms? - Ravx Ergo X. Although they are comfortable, hands go numb on me after 10 mins and I have to do all sorts of hand gymnastics to recover. ?So bollox to that.

Have put Ergons on since the neuropathy from the chemo made riding intollerable. They help but are not the magic potion. You are better off strengthening your core so you dont slouch on your bars and dont grip the bars tightly. If you adopt a "lazy" riding position you will get numb hands no matter what.

I am using the BBB ergo grips.

Works like a dream on my flat EA70 bar and I don't need bar-ends.

I was also having problems with numb palms on my racing hardtail. Have put on ergo grips by specialized and bar end. Also worked on strengthening core and shoulders. Lot of work but its good to ride again.

D

Score!!! After ten minutes of riding you can go find a quiet spot in the bush and beat your mielie off. It'll feel like someone else is doing it!! Otherwise try running your front tyre softer, say 1.8. That helps me.

Try shifting more of your wheigt to the saddle to put less strain on your hands. I know its hard to do on a moutain bike. Swopping grips may help, or risng your bars.

Just my 2 cents worth on the Ergo grips. I used them for about two years, and always found myself to be below average on the technical stuff. No confidence, twitchy on descents, panic for ruts and ditches, hands got tired on long descents, etc.  

A mate suggested I should try conventional grips; switched to some Bontrager high density foam jobs, 32 mm diameter. What an amazing transformation to my technical riding, within one month I found heaven in terms of tech MTB'ing.

So take heed: Ergo-type grips may affect your tech riding skills if you have smallish hands.

I like my Ergons very much, but they wear out too quickly for such expensive grips... I'm testing silicone ones that I moulded now - nice and soft, and will probably outlast the Ergons...

Also don't get confused... many manufacturers name their grips 'something' ergo or whatever, I referred to Ergon, the brand... www.ergon-bike.com/

My Ergon's never bothered me in technical stuff, got used to them quickly, but what bothers me is the price tag and how fast the pattern starts wearing off... our other set GX1's is 3 months old and starts showing wear.

The test pieces I've moulded are made from an industrial silicon with excellent wear resistance and should last a very long time.

20100126_014130_grip.jpg

Brighter-Lights2010-01-26 01:44:26

Have read on a number of forums that the ergon grips can affect your downhill technique. Bit of a catch 22 I have to say.

On chain reaction a set go for around R300, which is considerably cheaper than in S.A.

Might have to try a set, cause the numbness is driving me crazy, especially when I can't feel the brake levers when breaking!!

Ill also look into the strength and core training, any specific exercises that you could recommend?

I took up Pilates which was excellent. Very localised and specific. You can google up some other exercises. Youtube even has some videos. The key is to exhale and contract your abdominal muscles before doing the movement. You can even do it whilst riding. Contract your abdominal region (flex your abs) and try and feel lighter on your bars. I dont know if it makes sense but try it on your bike and you'll see what I mean.Wacko