Tubes or Tubeless

andretraut

My steed is called Merida HFS 1000 and we are rolling on a pair of factory fitted Schwalbe Rocket Rons. I am considering going tubeless, and the guys at Cycle Lab offered me a Stan's conversion for around R1000, using the Rockets Rons. Any advise or suggestions in this regard will be appreciated. Is the Rocket Ron sidewall strong enough for this conversion and will I notice the advantages of rolling tubless?  

Typical Cycle Lab!!  no other options were mentioned?

Do yourself a favour and search for "ghetto" & "tubeless" here onthsi website and read what has been said.

for ~R100 per tyre you can do the same thing with as much success!!

my LBS did a tubeless conversion on my dual sus for R400 using rim tape and a screw on valve + sealant. the tyre seals onto the rim and not onto the rim strip! i have the Joes rim strips on my hardtail and alot of people will know what a mission it is to get your tyres off the rim strips. but i think you can still do it cheaper the "ghetto way! you will feel the difference running tubeless no doubt about it!!

Metro cycles in vanderbilpark, i know alot of guys that bring their bikes from jhb because of their good service! i wouldnt even think of taking my bikes anywhere else

Thanx Cassie and FP! I failed to mention, but the mechanic at Cycle Lab offered an inexpensive method (probably ghetto or some orther method)on converting, however the mere thought of turning my new and shinning Merida into something called 'Ghetto' made me reach for my wallet! I did some googling on ghetto, and are yet to be convinced.

Thanx Cassie and FP! I failed to mention' date=' but the mechanic at Cycle Lab offered an inexpensive method (probably ghetto or some orther method)on converting, however the mere thought of turning my new and shinning Merida into something called 'Ghetto' made me reach for my wallet! I did some googling on ghetto, and are yet to be convinced. [/quote']

Trust us we would not BS you, ghetto works just fine.

Hey,

I'm doing the Ghetto tubeless thing this weekend....

any advice on what snot I'll need and where to get it in the CT-Paarl-Stellenbosch-Somerset West-Strand radius....

saw guys using some latex mix rather than stan's or joe's and some suggest slime too....

EDIT: no need...I'll find what I'll need:

http://www.yellowsaddle.co.za/Docs/docs%20html/Homebrew%20MTB%20Tubeless%20conversion.html

bak2basiks2010-01-29 07:55:14

B2b

I think you can use just about any sealant that's out there....

From my experience - something "runny" to seal the sidewall micro perforations & something "fibery" to seal bigger cuts as & when they do occur...

I mix OKO & whatever else I can lay my hands on that is cheap....Autozone sells SLUDGE @R30 for 2 x wheels....bargain I'd say.

Best proof was Thursday when I deliberately headed for a patck of thorns..Big%20smile

Pulled out 7 monsters and rotated wheel once and all was sealed in a flash!!!

Damn nice stuff this 2bliss!!! Best invention since sliced bread...

I would also vouch for ghetto,one of the best things i could have done with my mtb.Using stans in one wheel and a mix in the other.Just remember to carry a tubeless repair kit,in case you get a larger than usual hole.

Did the ghetto thing.....AWESOME...Clap

Used Stan's little bottle for one wheel (R35) and a BMX tube (R40) = R75/wheel...

Will take the bike out for a ride 2moro

Also take a look - I posted a link to a video showing how to fit a tubeless tyre to your rim.  I wasted a lot of time, energy and sealant before I watched that video.  Once I watched the video, I was A for Away!

Also take a look - I posted a link to a video showing how to fit a tubeless tyre to your rim.  I wasted a lot of time' date=' energy and sealant before I watched that video.  Once I watched the video, I was A for Away!

[/quote']

Can you post it again here, pleeeease?

I watched the video on Stan's website and it helped alot. The front wheel took me a bit of time to do because I was following the "cook-book" instructions. The back wheel took my about 10mins to do, but in total I did it in 40min. I spent oozels amounts of time to make my quasi-rim-strip sit perfectly.Big%20smile...