Garmin Edge - from CRC

madmarc

I am looking at bring in a Garmin 705 in from CRC. Can anyone tell me if:

There will be duties on this type of equipment.

What will the SA maps cost to upgrade locally (obv. it will come woith Europena maps)

anyone have any experience wilt the international warranties being honourd locally.

Any othe pitfalls i could experience

Thanx guys

I called garmin sometime back because I was thinking of doing the same thing. there will be a R400 fee to even look at the device should it fail...

We have 3x Garmin 705's in our family and its great but the maps are not essential. One day when the race organisers catch a wake up and start to load Garmin routes on their websites, then it will become a fantastic gadget. Till then, you will mainly use it for the other features.

One day when the race organisers catch a wake up and start to load Garmin routes on their websites' date=' then it will become a fantastic gadget. [/quote']

Even then, I've found my 705 to be pretty dumb when following pre-programmed routes. Or rather, how it decides to get from one waypoint to the next is completely different to how Mapsource does it (even with the same settings on both) when you're making the route.

Edman2010-02-01 11:53:58

We have 3x Garmin 705's in our family and its great but the maps are not essential. One day when the race organisers catch a wake up and start to load Garmin routes on their websites' date=' then it will become a fantastic gadget. Till then, you will mainly use it for the other features.

[/quote']

have to agree... when on the bike I dont like being told where to go! (unless racing of course)

when was the last time you went out the front door and got so lost that you needed a gps to get you back or somewhere else?

when doing Mtbiking in unknown territory the "back to home" function becomes very handy, but a the rest is a bit of a overkill, especially if you are using a gps in the car to get you to the event in any case!

Madmarc take a look at this calculation quick....

Chain Reaction Cycles
- Edge 705 HR & CAD (No Maps) - R3678
- 15.6% Vat - 574

- Total = R4252

EasyGIS - Edge 705 HR & CAD - R4499 (Free Shipping)
http://www.easygis.co.za/shop/index.php?main_page=index&cPath=1_7

They also sell the South African Map version or you can buy the Topo & Rec Maps extra. But send them an email if you need any assistance.

Just spend the extra R247 and get it locally from them, great service and backup as well as accessories, i needed a few extra bike mounts and a carry case and it was all sorted out. Its worth it rather than the hassle of getting from CRC and saving R247. Plus if something goes wrong you dont have the fork out thr R400 fee just for Garmin South Africa to look at it.

I got mine from EasyGIS in South Africa along with some lights. Quick fast efficient service. The guys there helped me out and it was next day delivery.

No hassles yet and its a great training tool.