Bottle contents

SeaBee

Quick question. Always rode with 2 bottles filled with carb drinks (of whatever make) and that was that.

I've now been told to rather use one carb drink and one water bottle. Unfortunately I wa snot in a position to ask many questions regarding that.

What's the logic behind that and if it is the better way to go - how to utilise it? Do you split it 50-50, do you drink water first (e.g.) hour, then add more carb drink sips inbetween - esp since you're eating more during the initial phases?

SeaBee2010-02-01 08:03:26

i use 1 bottle sports drink mix and one bottle water during racing.  sip little of both all the time (every ten min)  they both help.  one hydrates the other hydrates and repleneshes (electrolytes, minerals, carbs, glutamine, etc)

on short training rides use i bottle water.  750g less to lug around.  Save ome money that way too.  On longer rides use the same mix you will use for race day.  That way no nasty surprises.

I also have a question - If you eat beakfast(say a small bowl cereal), drink a high carb, sugery sports drink on the bike, with one or two gells and maybe a banana, then reydrate with another "recovery" type mix after your ride/race, just how many kilojules are you actually taking in?  Could it be possible you are taking in more than you are burning off?

Can anybody reccomend a free nutritionalist to speak to?firewolf2010-02-01 11:20:57

I used to ride with two bottles Goo in the cages and a bottle in the back........ did not see the need to look all race snake and all.......  am a funrider after all.

gells also interesting - you can just mix em into small plastic squeze bottle (like kind made by hammer gel)  can put like four of five in there, and thats obviously quite a lot of gell.  No need to tear open packets, no gell on hands, no gell wrappers to dump in pockets or throw as trash.  Like some dudes do inside the reserve. firewolf2010-02-01 11:30:59

Quick question. Always rode with 2 bottles filled with carb drinks (of whatever make) and that was that.

I've now been told to rather use one carb drink and one water bottle. Unfortunately I wa snot in a position to ask many questions regarding that.

What's the logic behind that and if it is the better way to go - how to utilise it? Do you split it 50-50' date=' do you drink water first (e.g.) hour, then add more carb drink sips inbetween - esp since you're eating more during the initial phases?
[/quote']

I am not a dietician or a nutritionist, however it apparently has something to do with the concentration of the contents inside your stomach/intestine. I.e if your stomach/intestine contents are too concentrated then your body starts to draw water into your stomach/intestine which actually then aids dehydration doing the opposite of what you are trying to do whilst drinking.

So yes it is important to drink fluids with correct concentrations, however I think most people have been told to ride with one water and one sports drink because of the use of gels nowadays. It is also why gel packs say consume with water of a certain amount.

Best is to test it out during hard extended training and during low-key races. Takes some time though. Good luck.

I also have a question - If you eat beakfast(say a small bowl cereal)' date=' drink a high carb, sugery sports drink on the bike, with one or two gells and maybe a banana, then reydrate with another "recovery" type mix after your ride/race, just how many kilojules are you actually taking in?  Could it be possible you are taking in more than you are burning off?

Can anybody reccomend a free nutritionalist to speak to?[/quote']

It's entirely possible that you're consuming more than you're burning. It's also pretty easy to work out how much you're consuming.

All the packaging on the cereal, milk, gels and the drinks should tell you how many Calories they contain per 100g/100ml or per serving. Multiply that by the number of servings and you've got Calories.

The only real effort would be the banana, but Google should solve that pretty quickly.

Well all of the above for water, I take a sachet to refil the drink if needed. 

Water also for gear cleaning and cooling down, swollowing gels, bars and cramp pills etc.

I also have a question - If you eat beakfast(say a small bowl cereal)' date=' drink a high carb, sugery sports drink on the bike, with one or two gells and maybe a banana, then reydrate with another "recovery" type mix after your ride/race, just how many kilojules are you actually taking in?  Could it be possible you are taking in more than you are burning off?

Can anybody reccomend a free nutritionalist to speak to?[/quote']

Free is normally a word that comes with bad when it comes to nutritionist/dietician. :) Rather pay for some really good advice. I know a good one in Stellenbosch if you are nearby. She works with loads of pro athletes and cycles hereself so she knows her stuff and does not just pass on the diet she made for Johnnies mom who knits all day.

Could declare some of the probs I've been getting of late. Will give the one water bottle, one drink bottle a try.

Yeah, I also only use one water bottle for anything under about 90 mins. This question was for longer training rides and funrides.

And agreed on the flasks for gels - works very well! Dunno how cool it is for the racers, for me it works like a charm.