Cheap no name carbon frames

Cassie

After reading up on these as much as possible' date=' I'm going to buy one of their MTB frames. (just need to recover a little after buying everything but the frame).This is their website: http://www.flyxii.comI e-mailed them and a guy by the name of <!-- .hmmessage P    margin:0px; padding:0px    .hmmessage    font-size: 10pt; font-family:Verdana    -->Yong was very quick to respond on all my questions. For $415 I will get the following:- Frame FLY-FR001 - disc only, there is another one that accepts V brakes, but if you're going to use discs you'll have those 2 V brake brackets sticking out the back like little frog eyes.- Seatpost - Handlebar - Headset- Stem- Seat clamp- ShippingAll carbon except the shipping.With tax that works out to around R3700I'll post once I get stuff

[/quote']

keep us informed blackbutton.

• Replies 59
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Blackbutton I had a look at their website but they don't have any weights for anything. Did the guy tell you via email? Best of luck in your purchase I hope things work out fine.

I'll post once I get stuff

If you get it.

I choose not to be too much of a pesimest and their rating on e-bay convinced me.

If I have to wait a while, that's fine. In the meantime I'll trap my old Gary Fisher.

I just got my carbon dual suss via EMS post. Took 3 weeks from when they posted it, and it WASN"T form Ebay. Waiting for my shock back and the rest of the logo.

Then i will post pix.

I'm considering getting some more but have to wait for a reply as to amounts and shipping costs.

And it looks BRILLIANT.....

Blackbutton I had a look at their website but they don't have any weights for anything. Did the guy tell you via email? Best of luck in your purchase I hope things work out fine.

I e-mailed Yong, will report back when he replies.

I just got my carbon dual suss via EMS post. Took 3 weeks from when they posted it' date=' and it WASN"T form Ebay. Waiting for my shock back and the rest of the logo.

Then i will post pix.

I'm considering getting some more but have to wait for a reply as to amounts and shipping costs.

[/quote']

Now I can't wait any longer! Did you get it from flyxii?

I've had mine for almost 2 years.... I payed a lot more locally... It's a hard ride, stiff, very responsive, but stiff.... too stiff to be called comfy...

I wouldn't bother with that company's seatposts, bars etc... HEAVY...

My frame (bare) is 1155g, and with bolts and clamps, 1224g (16")

Will post pics later...

It should be remembered that these frames generally use lower grade of carbon and resins but generally the quality is good and meets the needs of at least 90% of the Argus cycle tour participants

I wonder if they do 'use a lower grade of carbon and resins' - if they are making frames for other 'brand names'' date=' I'm sure that the difference in cost of the carbon and resins would not make it wortwhile, and they probably just use the same raw materials - possibly the 'layup' is less sophisticated and not optimised (possibly giving the same strength and stiffness, but with a slight weight penalty - they seem to way around the 1,100g mark as opposed to the 800 - 900g mark)[/quote']

Many reviewers seemto all say the same thing; the ride is hard.

This suggests they are using the stiffer low grade fibres (the weight is high) instead of the stiffer high grade fibres (makes a lighter frame)

All these companies do not exclusively produce bicycle frames.Carbotec produces sub frames for Ducati, Honda and yamaha. They also make bits for Subaru, Honda and Mitsubishi.

Thy have a wide range of raw materials available for use in bicycle frames. They produce their own in house frames to increase the volumes on the moulds so they can recover the costs quicker.

they do use their own layup designs and strategiesthough.

guys like On-one, Planet X, Pedalforce are buying stock frames from guys like Carbotec, axmen, Neo and simply retailing them in the west.

In Fact nearly all Pinarello's framesare produced by carboTec and Neo. Pinarello only paints their own frames and its rumoured they only paint a handful of the Dogma's and Prince themselves.

Fondriest, Colnago, Basso, everyone is producing most of their volume in China and Taiwan.

The exceptions are Look (Tunisia & France), Time (France and China), Parlee (USA, edgecomposites), Calfee (edge Composites), Titus (inhouse and Edge composites).

very few "italian"  frames are produced in Italy...

I just got my carbon dual suss via EMS post. Took 3 weeks from when they posted it' date=' and it WASN"T form Ebay. Waiting for my shock back and the rest of the logo.

Then i will post pix.

[/quote']

Now I can't wait any longer! Did you get it from flyxii?

No! But i cant say where yet. The frame weighs about 1200g and that's a dual suss. The whole bike is quite a bit lighter than my girlfriend's santa Cruz juliana and that's a xs. And i'm planning to fix my Easton XC ones which will make it about 300g lighter. pix coming as soon as teh logo gets here....hurry Tyrone...and the guys at Omnico give me the correct bushings i asked for for a change.

LOL

I ordered 2 frames and got them not even 2 weeks later.

Got it built up about 8 months back. Since then i have done the Karro to Coast, Addo Mondi, 2 day Rock Pedal Classic and the Attakwas. And a few times out to Longmore forest rides.

I have always ridden a a hardtail and i find that the bike is very responsive.Bike weighs 9.7kg only heavy thing thig is the wheels which is a set DT SWISS x1900. I was getting a set of American classic wheels from a hubber but then he dropped me and i had to make quick plans after waiting for him while he was on holiday.I saw the other day that they where up for sale again!

I ordered 2 frames and got them not even 2 weeks later...

How did you place your order? E-bay/direct and from who? Did you pay extra for DHL or other courier service, I think the std postage takes about 4-6 weeks? Sorry for the 110 Q&A .

I'm not much of a weight weenie, but I think anything <10kg for a MTB is great. I'm hoping to build mine up the be in that same region.

Thanks for the post. It inspired some more confidence in the frames.

air freight can still be done but its very expoensive for a bicycle frame now because the US postal services regard them as outsize. Their requirements drives the worlds couriers behaviours so it will cost you around R3K to air freight a frame

Hence most retailers ship it via the sea; cheaper and most custmers are prepared to wait. there also normally less damage to sea reight than to airfreight.

I e-mailed Yong' date=' will report back when he replies.

[/quote']

Sorry for the late reply, been busy.

Yong replied later that evening: 1150g

Just ordered a mtb frame with headset, seatpost, clamp and barends from flyxii. Now the wait...... Let me go peddal the Fisher