Mugging on the Braamfontein Spruit

Etster88

Training by myself on the Braamfontein spruit yesterday around 1:30pm -Somewhere near the sunninghill part a guy jumped out of the long grass in front of me with a long screwdriver and threatened me with it, shouting 'get off you bike'. Before i really knew what was going on - i was standing bikeless watching some dude ride off on my S-Works baby. It is a 2007 S-Works Epic dual sus bike with full xtr components, mavic SL wheels. Black and red. Perhaps someone may come accoss it some time. smiley7.gif smiley7.gif smiley7.gif

Sorry for your loss.

*** unnecessary comment removed *** not very cool!!!

Speak to Holy Roller(hubname) he is a journalist.
EyeMod2010-02-03 07:22:36

please report it to the Ranburg copshop. They've got a bike division that will check out the spruit for thugs.

This is really infuriating. 

I'm glad you walked away unharmed and seriously hope your bike was insured.

Sorry about your ordeal.

also, if you have any pics of the bike post it...that way everyone knows what to look for.

Hope you find it.

Can you claim from any insurance policy?

Always ride with pepper spray, i pray for some twat with a screwdriver to try and mug me.

Sorry about your loss

Thanks for that - will go there tomorrow - any idea of the address of the cop shop in Randburg please?

Sorry for your loss. *** unnecessary comment removed *** not very cool!!!

Speak to Holy Roller(hubname) he is a journalist.

me and sean have tackled this issue in the upcoming edition of tread. sorry if this sounds like a plug, it isn't, but any awareness we can raise is a step closer to taking on the issue.

ET it sux big time sorry man, made my donation to these F#ckers in sept. Important post it To the Stolen Bike section with as much detail as possible. Yang might find it if it is the Moz thief-does not sound like his MO. Also do the cop thing for what it is worth, just to get a case for Insurance at least.

My other question is apart from Moz where do these bikes go, there must be a market if the robbers are so active.

Holy Roller - let me know if there is anything i can help with to raise more awareness. I am quite upset about this as i know he is probably going to pawn the bike for a few hundred bucks...

I just read an email about a guy who they attempted to jack on main road, he road off and they took a couple pot shots at him! Hit his juice bottle.

I cant believe what this town is coming to. Im definately off to the cape next year. Screw the drop in pay, at least Ill be able to ride my bicycle in peace.

But there is a lesson to be learned from E.T's experience.........we just CANNOT RIDE ALONE EVER EVER EVER EVER. Its become way too risky.

The problem is to find someone to ride with, with the same fitness level, same pace, and same skill level, or just go ride your bike at groenies over the weekend, but I find that it's just not enough to keep me fit.  WHAT TO DO?  Damn bloody fools, hope you get your payback from the INS and good luck catching this f*kker... Angry

Holy Roller - let me know if there is anything i can help with to raise more awareness. I am quite upset about this as i know he is probably going to pawn the bike for a few hundred bucks...

for sure. will drop you a pm in the next coupla days. stay well. hey, i know we're all tough guys on mtbs, but it does help to speak to someone. seek counselling if you need. i made the mistake of not doing that.

Just so you can all sigh again - I did NOT insure the bike - paid much less than it was worth from a friend in durban so did not think it was worth it. How wrong i was...Looking at replacing that bike now is going to set me back about R60 000...