Pick a bike..

jibbing

Hey Foxy, I would probably stretch to 6500 and get the Bianchi Mutt 6600. It is already 27 speed with hydraulic brakes and a rockshox dart 2 shock. If you have any extra after that the fork would probably be the first thing i'd upgrade. Here is the link to solomons.

http://www.solomons.co.za/node/1026

The reason I'd go for this over the tfs 100 is the shock and drivetrain, but I'd try both if I was you. See which one suits you better. Make sure that the bike is the right size for you as well. ;) good luck.

• Replies 33
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Can you not stretch your budget to R6500 and get this instead? I don't know much about MTB'ing or components ' date='but this looks sexy to meTongue

20100206_112412_10_FELT_Q620_BL.jpg
[/quote']

Wisecrack...that is SEXY !!!! who sells them? is the price really R6500?

• 3 months later...

Also on the market for a new bike, these are my top 5 choices at the moment.

1. Felt Q620 (Very very stunning looking bike)

2. Silverback Phoenix

3. Raleigh Namib

4. Specialized Hardrock

5. Mongoose Tyax comp

Really want the Felt and will probably go for it, its just that the Raleigh and the Mongoose seem better value for money. Should I also consider a Merida somewhere in this list?

My wife has a Merida Juliet 100 with a RST shock on it and they are really not that good. Bottom's out like nothing.

I started out on the Merida 40D. Great bike - was not sorry about buying it at all!

Had it for about 6 months and then decided to upgrade. Merida bikes are apparently know for their build quality and resale value.

Now with the TFS XC-800D and more than happy.

The best thing to do is try riding them all and see which one feels the best.

Good luck!  

Go with the Goose - the frame is strong enough to handle all the mistakes you are going to make starting out!!! Rode mine for 2 years before upgrading - 3 years later bought a Goose again, Meteore Team - Wonderfull bikes

Hi Jibbing,

I had another look at the bikes and I thought I'd let you know that Solomons has the Bianchi Doss 5200 listed at R5000. The benefits that the Bianchi offers are as follows :

1. Deore rear derailleur - means that upgrading to 27 speed is as simple as changing the cassette, chain and shifters.

2. Suntour XCT fork - not the greatest, but it worked okay for me when I was starting.

3. A frame that has been developed by one of the best known bike companies in the world with the associated geometry knowledge etc...

You might be able to negotiate the price closer to what you were looking at. I'd at least take a look if I was you. Here is the link.

http://www.solomons.co.za/node/1025*

Just my 2c as well. Bought the Bianchi Doss 5100 last week for a mere R4000-00. Has Suntour XCT V2 fork, Deore front and rear derailleurs, Alivio shifters thought. BUT What a Bike...it rides like a dream and will be taking "sweetness" to Groenies over the weekend, as she would like to get down and diry with it. Perhaps another option to look at? Had the bike weighed and came in at just just below 12kg's.RudoJ2010-05-28 06:25:26

Hi, I bought a Merida last year, before knowing about this website, and honestly I would have gotten a must better bike if I bought second hand off this website. ?Stick around a bit. ?Not unhappy with my Merida, but would go for the Felt if I had the choice. Enjoy your new bike though. ?

I bought the Silverback Phoenix for R5400 much much better spec'ed and probably the most value for money bike. In the sub 6k price range.

Bridge cycles in Cape Town are selling schwinn hardtails with hyraulic brakes and full deore for R5k

TOP TIP

Buy last year's models

I was in this same position last year - If you wait another month or two the bike shops will start trying to make space for 2011 stock, so prices come down. I also found Cyclefactory  (http://www.cyclefactory.co.za/bicycles/new-bicycles-from-cycle-factory.html) to be cheaper than anywhere else, they also put their prices online. I would look at the Scwinn Mesa GSD 2009 (R5100) - Deore RD, Suntour XCT fork, hyro discs and one of the most comfortable frames I have ever ridden.

edit: wow, see above for same info

tom8932010-05-28 08:26:42