Pick a bike..

jibbing

Hi

Can someone please help me pick the best bike?

My options are:

- mongoose tyax R4700

- merida 40d R4700

- silverback saturn R4200

price not really so relevant..but want to ride a good looking and feeling bike.

most important coming down a single track. dont want any shocks bottom out.

can anyone help please.

20100206_101603_3_OPTIONS.jpg

jibbing2010-02-06 10:18:53

• Replies 33
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

The Silverback Saturn is replacing, or has replaced, the Alpine.

I have heard that its pretty good value for money.

Not sure of different specs for all the bikes, but if price not issue then compare the specs, and go for best specced bike.

thanks..

the merida has a rst gila ml100 shock..which some guys say bottom out quite bad..

the silverback got better specs..just dislike the frame quite a bit...

http://www.silverbacklab.com/int_site/specs/saturn.jpg

http://www2.merida-bikes.com/en_ZA/Bikes.Detail.71

http://www.mongoose.com/usa/eng/mtn/Products/Mountain-Pavement/Hardtail-XC/Details/2851-M10TYASP-Tyax-Sport

these are the specs..

Where did you get pricing as I am also in the market for a new bike around R5000. Personally I would look at the Merida.

Can you not stretch your budget to R6500 and get this instead? I don't know much about MTB'ing or components ,but this looks sexy to meTongue

20100206_112412_10_FELT_Q620_BL.jpg
wisecrack2010-02-06 11:49:27

Those Tyax's are actually really well specced bikes for the price... Best frame to build around - Merida... Best bike to bur - mongoose!

Having had a look at the 3 bikes, the Saturn is definitely the better specced of the 3. I do however love the geometry and feel of Merida frames.

My gut feel would be to go for the Saturn off the bat, I don't think that at this level you're going to be doing a lot of upgrading. All of the frames are heavy and the components are at the bottom end of the market.

If you decide you love the sport and want to upgrade you're probably better off looking at a second hand bike from the for sale.

I don't think that at this level you're going to be doing a lot of upgrading. All of the frames are heavy and the components are at the bottom end of the market.

If you decide you love the sport and want to upgrade you're probably better off looking at a second hand bike from the for sale.

Agreed go with the one that talks to you.

hey thanks guys.

saturn has better specs..but like someone said the frame geometric is not great..on this level of mtb..isnt it better to go with something that has a better frame?

has anyone had one of those rst shocks that is on the merida? how was it?

i think the mongoose might be under rated..looks and feels like a leke bike..

anyway thanks alot for the input.

Hi Jibbing,

I had another look at the bikes and I thought I'd let you know that Solomons has the Bianchi Doss 5200 listed at R5000. The benefits that the Bianchi offers are as follows :

1. Deore rear derailleur - means that upgrading to 27 speed is as simple as changing the cassette, chain and shifters.

2. Suntour XCT fork - not the greatest, but it worked okay for me when I was starting.

3. A frame that has been developed by one of the best known bike companies in the world with the associated geometry knowledge etc...

You might be able to negotiate the price closer to what you were looking at. I'd at least take a look if I was you. Here is the link.

http://www.solomons.co.za/node/1025*

Otherwise my pick would probably be the merida. They do a lot of work around trickling down knowledge gained from their higher end frames and I think it pays off.

Edit - I bought a felt Q620 for my brother in law last year. At the time it was the lowest end bike with hydraulic brakes at R6000. It has a very nice frame, tektro auriga comp brakes, a deore/alivio 24 speed drivetrain and suntour xcm fork. It looks to me like manufacturers are moving to a full alivio drivetrain in order to add hydraulic disks at a lower price point this year. This is not necessarily a bad tradeoff as a deore rear derailleur is cheaper to buy afterwards than a set of hydraulic brakes. pbrizzolari2010-02-07 11:34:05

hi there, while on the topic i was also thinking of upgrading. i ride the avalance atx375 and was looking at the merida TFS100? I've really taken a liking in the merida. I've onley been riding for a year but love the sport and am serious about upgrading this year.

Hi Foxy, I think you might want to look at a bit higher budget if you're serious. At that price level you are still making quite a few compromises on drivetrain and fork performance. If it is not possible to look at the budget then i would say go ahead. That frame will handle upgrades quite nicely.

thanks! ive got a budget up to about R6000 in about 2 months so still on the subject of merida what would u say i should look at. There are not a lot of 2nd hand meridas for sale and because im a small its much harder to find aswel so my option looks like a new bike. any sugestions on a merida?