Hard tail or full suspension?

phemanderac

So, I am considering buying a mountain bike this week (been a purist roadie up to now), and want to know how to determine whether I need a full suspension bike, or whether a hard tail will do. What kind of riding/terrain would justify a full suspension over a hardtail, and can you do really long rides (over say 100kms) on a full suspension? How much power do you loose (if any) because of the rear suspension? This may be pretty basic, but I actually know just about nothing about mountain biking. Any other tips would also be appreciated. I am willing to spend some money (not over-the-top though), so the answers don't have to factor in the price difference.

I ride both and when I ride longer distances (touring around Lesotho) I ride the dual. Training is exclusively done on the hardtail. To me it is mainly a comfort thing and not so much control or speed difference.

I ride both and when I ride longer distances (touring around Lesotho) I ride the dual. Training is exclusively done on the hardtail. To me it is mainly a comfort thing and not so much control or speed difference.

Cool. I infer then that on longer rides the dual is more comfortable.

I suppose maintenance (or the cost thereof) also plays a part?

Alos depends on the type of suspension you get - my fox RP23 rear shock has 2 settings: one where you can choose 3 suspension "hardness" settings and then a setting to bypass the suspension, if you understand what I mean. Iow for flat dirt roads I lock out the front and rear, for technical stuff and downhills, I unlock everything...

Any ride is better with a full suss, I have both and use my hardtail for commuting and trust me I sometimes wonder why...Hardtails are dead, long live the hardtail...

As for costs it may be a bit more, suspension bearings, shock service etc but the comfort far outweighs the disadvantages.

I am a roadie who does quite a bit of MTB'ing although not much MTB racing. I have a decent enough Hard Tail because I didn't want to spend too much as road is my main focus and didn't want to have to worry about maintenance of rear shock etc. I find that for my riding (and I did the Nando's Magalies Adventure last year) a Hard Tail is sufficient.

I suppose maintenance (or the cost thereof) also plays a part?

That is why I train on the hardtail - My training/racing ratio is probably 10/1.

Started off last year on HT to test things out, and by April was on my Merida duelsus.  The 'efficiency' of the HT is overshadowed by the comfort of the duel as the bike absorbes some of the punishment.  The effect becomes exaggerated with longer distances, so in my opinion duel sus much more efficient on the body.

Go duel, your prostate will thank you!

Thanks for all the feedback. Tried to do some reading on the topic as well. Seems suspension is the best long term choice to make in general. Perhaps I should also consider a cheap HT for some rides, and a full sus for others. Think it's a good way to go.

How old are you?

Older than 50....sure' date=' get a hard tail.

[/quote']

You shouldn't make jokes about age .... I am actually 72

How bout we just all go back to rigid bikes and then we don't have to have this stupid debate again ?  But I guess the duallie guys would struggle with that LOL

How old are you?

Older than 50....sure' date=' get a hard tail.

[/quote']

You shouldn't make jokes about age .... I am actually 72

well, that solves your problem then.Big%20smile

Riding a HT is just plain stupid . Decided to let the HT out for a few rides this month and after two rides it is going back to where it belongs . Down in the basement .

Riding a HT is just plain stupid . Decided to let the HT out for a few rides this month and after two rides it is going back to where it belongs . Down in the basement .

Well I've never really considered myself as a smart person, so yeah...

I want to ride my HT... I do... I really do... it's pure and makes me feel young and strong and...

Sod it.

Riding a HT is just plain stupid.

Timed myself on climbs and I am marginally faster on my HT. Things is I am MUUUUCH faster downhill on my Dual Sus. More than makes up for the gain uphill.

As to weight: my dual weighs a few kg less than most cheaper HT and only 1 kg heavier than my expensive HT.

As to age of rider: well, lots of younger folk actually ride DS bikes, like Burry Stander, Kevin Evans, every single downhill racer, lot's of the 4X crowd, all mountain riders.

Yes, they cost more but not that much more. A well specced carbon GT, Scott or Merida HT will set you back 20 - 30 k. You can buy a carbon Scott Spark 30 for 29 k. Or a GT Sensor. Or a Giant Anthem. Thing is, you will have to spend around 20 k or more to get a well specced DS.

They do need more maintenance but I have found that most of the maintenance on my bike involves the fork and that would be the case on my HT too. My LBS charges about R200 to service and lube my suspension every few months.

I can live with that.