Accident on R304 in Stellenbosch

SlowSpoke

Does anyone know something about the accident on the R304 in Stellenbosch at the Kayamandi robot this morning.

A truck drove over a cyclist, it did not look good.

• Replies 41
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

sh*t. Team rider or funrider ? Judging by what you've seen ? Aprox age estimate ?

Heard nothing up till now. weird

I'm not sure about the age, there where about 6 other cyclist with him/her standing on the sidewalk. It just happened a minute or so before I passed by because there wasn't an ambulance or anything on its way there yet.

Yes that bridge there is very narrow' date=' I hope the cyclist is alright.

[/quote']

AS mentioned : If a truck was involved then this is prob what happened..

AS you come from Stellenbosch over the bridge the road splits into 2 lanes. One for going straight to the traffic lights - going towards the N1 / Joostenberg, klipheuwel , but the other lane is to turn left into Kyamandi / Stellenbosch industrial area.

The position of that split just after the bump on the bridge makes it difficult to see what is happening. The road is narrow and Yellow lane is very tight to the curb. Then everything opens up with the split in the lane.

What I'v noticed before is that taxi's and trucks and some bakkies will really accelerate towards the turnoff to make the turn before the light changes.

So with a cyclist on the yellow lane wanting to go straight he has to cross the road and sometimes a truck or something might come up faster than expected.

Hope the guy/girl is OK.

Another thing - no offense to the injured cyclist - this time of the year with lots of Argus fun riders the road is quite dodge to drive on with a car. Some of these "bunches" ride just like they want. This morning at 5:00 I saw 5-8 mtb'ers and road riders on the road with no light whatsoever - just stupid if you ask me.

But yeah - its everyone's own thing. I will just be pissed if I were to hit a fellow cyclist because he was not visible in the early hours of the day.

Saw a group of about 12 cyclist coming down Bree Street Cape Town just after 6 this morning- only one or maybe two had rear reflecting lights and I don't recall seeing any front lights.Disapprove Reg Lizard2010-02-09 07:52:00

Saw a group of about 12 cyclist coming down Bree Street Cape Town just after 6 this morning- only one or maybe two had rear reflecting lights and I don't recall seeing any front lights.Disapprove

And we wonder why motorist hate us.... go figure.

Its actually amazing that not more cyclist are killed , especially early morning and late afternoon/nightOuch

The accident was about 10m from the google sign towards Stellenbosch. There is almost no yellow line to cycle in.

The accident was about 10m from the google sign towards Stellenbosch. There is almost no yellow line to cycle in.

shot. Then its prob just *** truck driver - not knowing how wide this truck is and bamm.

My ride only starts as soon as I leave that area and Stellenbosch traffic. Hate riding there in traffic. Would have like to have more timeslots available, but its either before work or after.

That is the worst section of the road coming into Stellenbosch from that side.  Narrow, high curbs, nowhere to go if there is a problem.  And at any time after 7:15 in the morning, the traffic is heavy.  Not the place to be on a bike.  I hope the cyclist is OK....

I stopped trying to commute traffic is so bad on Otto in afternoon . i have almost been taken out 5 times in 1 day by trucks and cars. I wish the cycle lane was open.