Pro cyclist salary

RAZORBLADE

@Edman, its only the top guys (read very few) who have endorsment deals, as well as 32k is only for the top guys...

Most bike sponsorships involve them giving the bike back at the end of the season for the sponsor to then sell at cost. I know Raliegh used to let the team keep their bikes and if you performed well (according to management) you got to keep your bike as a bonus. otherwise the team sold the bikes and used the money to put back into the running costs.

Most teams don't allow you to do extra work outside the team or riding as the person should be riding or resting...as that is what the team pays them to do.

As for training the pros who are worth their salaries do about 25-30hrs worth a week. The sponsors demands are not that high on the local guys so on average they rest well after their training rides/ fetch kids and do the rest of that stuff.

• Replies 57
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Ok. I know I am goingto rattle some feathers here but please bear with me as I am not taking jabs at anyone.<?: prefix = o ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:office:office" />

So if you?re a pro, you have to work for additional income, cycle for about 2-3 hours a day, give your bike back at end of season or sell it in which case the coach or sponsors get the money, get no endorsements from sponsors who can pull the plug at any time, spend maybe 1000km of international racing abroad or local a year to just get spanked and ontop of that earn enough money for 2 minute noodles. I know the government does not give a crap about cycling and does not contribute financially.

Is this then not a one way street with a dead horse at the end? What do you pro's do once your career is over. Do you get a job with the same salary or is there something in place that guarantees you a top notch job?

Is it not better to be sponsored by multiple "investors"  under one banner like our provincial teams, be it cricket or rugby? Like I said, I am not taking shots at the pro's, I am just thinking that being a pro in SA would probably be the same as a amatuar team in Europe. Yes, I believe performance wise you will not be that far off from the pro's but statua, and team is another story. So is it really worth being a pro in SA?

I am absolutely shocked!!!!

How can the Pro's earn 15-35k a month. I thought they would get atleast 80k. Is that gross or Nett? Either way' date=' that is peanuts. They must really love cycling...alot. My hat goes off to you pro's. All those hours of blood sweat and tears for thar salary. Atleast you are living your dream Clap
[/quote']
I suspect that R32k per month is just the basic salary? I presume they also get more money from sponsorships and endorsements. Also add to that a free (I think?) rather valuable bike, paid race entries, supplements etc. and it starts to add up.

I'd also be interested to know how much time they actually have to commit to their jobs for both training and sponsor commitments:

While working as a full-time engineer, I managed to get in around 12hrs/week on my bike (training and races). If a pro races and trains for, say, 20hrs/week they are, in effect, only working for 8hrs above the 12hrs of 'recreational riding'. This leaves them with around 32hrs/week for sponsor commitments or other work.
Depending on what they do with that time, that could lead to significant extra income.

when you ride for 20+ hours a week you spend the rest of the time recovering

Agree with the R10-R15k. Based on some insights of 3 years ago. Included some endorsements like casual clothes, shoes, glasses and about 2-3 cycling kits.

Not sure about performance dependencies and winnings from races - but I guess it all goes into pool as road racing is a team event.