Here's hoping

Evan Andreou

Great pics, Wolverine!   smiley2.gif

I presume it is carbon fibre h-bars.

Seen a few of those snap.

Have a safe weekend - er, all of us!

Yeah' date=' I would really hope this weekend is better! Last weekend seemed like a bit of a bummer one for you![/quote']

I think you got wolfie confused with Holy Roller!!

Wondering if Holy and I are not relatedLOL

the family that crashes together stays togetherLOL

Great pics' date=' Wolverine!   smiley2.gif

I presume it is carbon fibre h-bars.
Seen a few of those snap.

Have a safe weekend - er, all of us! [/quote']

Aluminium actually

Yeah' date=' I would really hope this weekend is better! Last weekend seemed like a bit of a bummer one for you![/quote']

I think you got wolfie confused with Holy Roller!!

LOLLOLLOL

I guess they BOTH had bummer weekends then. Holy's was a different type of bummer weekend - closer to the literal side I think!
Andyr2492010-02-12 04:08:33

Big thanks to Chilli Pepper, Sonic, LizzyB and some other non hub mates, who dragged my bike and sorry ass out of the road and kept oncoming traffic at bay. Chilli for giving up fer arm warmers and wind jammer bib thingy to make the sling.

Much appreciated

QUESTION Is it possible that ..? OR Has somebody been....?

...because this is my assumption:

Finishing the bar tape or adhesive tape by running or rolling a sharp knife around and on the bar. Thereby scoring the aluminium bar.

This will create a "stress raiser" in the bar. It will break on this weak point, just like scoring glass with a diamond edge before tapping it. The handlebar will score quite easily in the soft aluminium.

You may have difficulty in seeing the score mark now because it will have 'sheared' on this line. But the photos suggest to me that this is the root cause.

It wouldn't necessarily fail immediately but gradually fatigue or extend the crack in the wall thickness under stress due to the plastic nature of most aluminium alloys.

tarboy2010-02-14 02:48:53

I'd take it up with your LBS if they taped your bike last. You'd be a good citizen: perhaps the chap in the back is priming the whole community for a fall.

If you taped it yourself: stop doing it that way. Use a pencil to mark the angle of the cut on the last wrap and then cut nicely with some scissors.