TheHubSA at SA's

The Pirate

Hi - hub name is bubblesm.

Pirate - thank you for all your and your wife's support.  Trubie, thank you for the compliment (twice!) Smile

Smile

Sorry, what would you like to know?  A friend told me last year that I should go to SA's since I could do quite well, so I reckoned what do I have to loose?  Been training pretty hard, and fortunate to have a hubby who rides with some fast okes, which means I ride with them - which apparently helped pretty damn well!

Did the TT on a normal road bike, very happy and surprised with the bronze, now it's time to find a TT bike...

Road race was actually awesome, we were 5 girls who broke 30km into the race, and worked well together all the way back.  Altie Clarke (winner) sported a couple of attacks, none hard enough for her to break though.  We dropped one girl in the last half of our 4th (last) loop, and 4 sprinted for the line.  I have a lot to learn - attacking, sprint timing etc. etc. but the circuit suited me perfectly - undulating route but pretty flat and fast.

Now time to work on getting myself into a team!

Rode elite at SA Champs in Northcliff Cycles colours, lasted 102km's before I started losing power, hopefully I won't get sick just before SA Champs next year. Great experience and tough racing, must finish next year

<?: prefix = o ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:office:office" />

I think it was harder for Brandt as he had no one ahead of him, just a clear road....Christie was chasing down Jaco all the way and having a carrot dangled, you do tend to dig a bit deeper when you see you are catching someone, you could see on his face he was diggin deep, well done to Christie....TCS guys were all flying but not as fast as that mini cooper racing up and down<?: prefix = v ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:vml" />

[/quote']

Heard from intern that the rider that came 4th, Jeffrey Kriel, turned wrongly at the first cone and not the second one. He had to turn around and ride back past the first one to the second cone and turn around. He finished 20 seconds down on Christie at the end. Bad luck
but well done to the TCS boyz !

Unfortunately intern won't be racing tomorrow, he has just come out of surgery last week

Whats'up with Jeff and SAs!!

Last year he turned in too early (one tiny lap to go) at the Road Race - he was devastated!

Ag Shame.. poor Jeffrey, the poor bugger will forever think and believe that the strongest person on the day (Himself of course) did not win the race due to some marshalling Error.

However, for him to believe that, they (Jeffrey and his dad) have deluded themselves on a couple of crucial points.

1. Believing that Jeffrey was about 19 seconds ahead before the turnaround point

2. Estimating that he lost 47 seconds at the turnaround point

Taking 47 seconds to turn around means it takes him longer to turn around on a bike than it takes Jorge Faria to take a dump :-(

But let's just (to humour Mr. Kriel) suppose that it did take him 47 seconds to turn around, If one looks at the split times posted by Christie and Jeffrey

Splits               Christie            Jeffrey             Difference

7.5km              11:18.309        11:19.306        00:00.997

12.5km            19:12.052        19:12.357        00:00.305

17.5km            25:39.051        25:56.561        00:17.510

22.5km            33:14.489        33:38.255        00:23.766

Finish              42:33.376        42:53.646        00:20.270

(Time splits was actual times from Start house to the different split distances, and not differences between riders at the splint points)

that would mean that:

Having not been able to put any time into Christie in 12.5 km's, he would then have had to cut Christie's advantage by 30 seconds in 2.5 km's up to the Turnaround point, to only be 17.5 seconds back at the 17.5 km split.

I'm sorry but even Fabian Cancellara will have some serious trouble doing that!!!!

If one supposes the extremely unlikely situation that he did in fact out TT Fabian Cancellara and ride 30 seconds faster than Christie in only 2.5 km's

Why did he then lose another 6.7 seconds against Christie in the next time split between 17.5 and 22.5 km's???

Surely if he had managed to ride 30 seconds faster than Christie in 2.5 km's he would EASILY have been able to increase his advantage against Christie in the next 5 - 7.5 km's???

It is only in the last 5 km's that Jeffrey actually managed to pull back 3.5 seconds on Christie.... 30 seconds in 2.5km??? I don't think so!!!!

So after all is said and done, If you look at the split times on the course, It is pretty safe to say that Jeffrey actually lost no more than 12-15 seconds with the mix-up at the turnaround point, that Christie was not bested at any time on the course except by 3.5 seconds in the last 5 km's, and that even if you allow 12-16 seconds for Jeffrey's error, he would not have managed to unseat either Robert Quinn in 3rd, Brand in 2nd or Christie in 1st place.

So? in the end... the best men ended on the podium!!!

Spinnekop2010-02-24 09:09:19