disk rotor interchangeability

cat-i

Have juicy's on the dual, hayes on the hardtail. can interchange wheels without a problem.

Now want to buy some pretty hope rotors - need to know if i'd be able to use them with the juicy's (mainly) and sometimes on the hayes.

160mm, 6 bolt.

anyone want to share their experiences?

Guest Agteros

Should be fine. I'm running the rotors I got with my bike (Shimano - cable disks) now with Juicy 7 hydraulics and I have no problems.

The only hassles I had was when the brake pads were worn, and the pistons pushed out all the way, but that has nothing to do with the rotors.

I have been told by a bike shop, which had nothing to do with this bicycle, that the thickness of the rotors between the different manufacturers are marginal and has no effect on the brakes itself.

Anybody want to provide evidence to the contrary... I'm sure there are plenty of hearsay stories though!

Guest Big H
Have juicy's on the dual' date=' hayes on the hardtail. can interchange wheels without a problem.

Now want to buy some pretty hope rotors - need to know if i'd be able to use them with the juicy's (mainly) and sometimes on the hayes.

160mm, 6 bolt.

anyone want to share their experiences?[/quote']

The important issue is in bold above!!!!!!!

k, bigh, that bit i got :)

the other rotors will be same size and will fit :)

i was just wondering about the patterns, and the different pads that's being used on them. the hayes was running (and still is) on a shimano rotor, they work perfect - can't feel the difference between them, and the juicy's running on the juicy rotors, or the juicy's running on the shimano rotors.

but if you look at the worn hayes pads, the corner seems like it's not used. haven't ridden the juicy's long enough (or through enough mud) to see a wear pattern. the ideal would be for the pad to wear off the same everywhere - so:

- was the uneven wear the brake pad holders (do they have a name?) the was fitted wrong, or due to using shimano rotors with hayes brakes

- and does it matter if the wear is uneven?

- and it would be safe to assume that , as long as a rotor is same size and number of bolts, that it will work with any pads?

Guest Big H

I use180 mm Hope disks on our Tandem. The two extra disks I ordered for the wheelset with the slicks on was 183 mm. I put them on the two rear wheels and put spacers, supplied by Hope, between the caliper and the frame. They work perfectly.

I have only used solid disk brakes that are round along the diameter, not those with waves and teeth etc. I also do not kow what floating disks will do.

See this link for a floating disk with fancy profile -

Big H2010-03-07 02:18:21

The rivets on the hope floating rotors interfere with the Juicy calipers IIRC. Best to check it out before you buy...