Groot Lem 2

why not unfurl a large banner across the start groups that reads:

"STOP RECKLESS ROAD USERS!!"

• Replies 98
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Looks like i posted on the wrong thread...

Armbands? For Pete's sake. No, for the victims' sake. This is ridiculous - 3 people die in an incident refelcting all that is wrong with our driving culture and the response is to wear an armband?

This is pointless and to my mind, disrespectful. Black armbands just say will always be powerless to make a change.

So, instead of futile symbolism, how about coming up with actions instead that will make a difference. Join or form a lobbying group, find out from any of the various cycling bodies where to begin. Bid for funds from PPA, Lotto, CSA, corporates, whoever, to run ads at prime time, not during cycling tv shows to remind motorists of the law and to educate them on how to not knock over cyclists.

Lobby via MECs or whoever for changes to laws that increase penalties and make prosecution and conviction more likely. Donate time. expertise or money to an organisation that can make a difference.

But armbands? Give me a break.

Interestingly, i see the "accident" happened at 6.05 - 6.15 supposedly due to being blinded by the sun. Sunrise: 6.24.

And the narrow-roads-is-asking-to-get-hit refrain is the same logic as wearing-mini-skirts-is-asking-to-get-raped. Yes, busy narrow winding roads with poor forward visibility should be avoided, but the R62 there hardly falls into that category, but its more the mindset i object to, because it's a short hop from there to, "stay off the roads because they're dangerous". Its not the roads that knock cyclists over, its drivers.

the armbands are a symbolic gesture of solidarity, i think its beautiful. the measures to be taken later are the next chapter and im in full agreement that that should be the next vital step. the sad thing always is that we all tend to lose the impetus to act once the initial emotions subside. i will start an action thread tomorrow that actually puts points of action into place, that way we continue the momentum. something really needs to be done

firewalker2010-03-08 16:32:32

Armbands? For Pete's sake. No' date=' for the victims' sake. This is ridiculous - 3 people die in an incident refelcting all that is wrong with our driving culture and the response is to wear an armband?

This is pointless and to my mind, disrespectful. Black armbands just say will always be powerless to make a change.

[/quote']

this is why i'm gonna wear one, on sunday and for the rest of the month - to remind me of what i can do to make it safer - we are not powerless and certainly not disrespectful

https://www.bikehub.co.za/forum_posts.asp?TID=79070

cat-i2010-03-08 16:51:35

the armbands are a symbolic gesture of solidarity' date=' i think its beautiful. the measures to be taken later are the next chapter and im in full agreement that that should be the next vital step. the sad thing always is that we all tend to lose the impetus to act once the initial emotions subside. i will start an action thread tomorrow that actually puts points of action into place, that way we continue the momentum. something really needs to be done
[/quote']

I agree Firewalker! It also shows that we recognise and remember all the cyclists who have been killed or injured in accidents on our roads.

Acknowledging the problem and wearing the armbands is the first step of action. From there further action can be taken. Sure, we can all say there is a problem and not do anything but the way I see it wearing the armbands is the first step, however small, in taking action.

So Ianrodger, considering your signature says you "love the smell of EPO in the morning - it smells like victory" or something to that effect, your post doesn't really surprise me. We are actively acknowledging the problem and showing that we are prepared to do something about it by wearing the armbands. We can't and won't force you to. What action are you doing to address the problem?

And wearing the armbands for remembrance is similar to say a War Memorial remembering those who were killed in battle. But I suppose you object to those as well.

Looks like i posted on the wrong thread...

Armbands? For Pete's sake. No' date=' for the victims' sake. This is ridiculous - 3 people die in an incident refelcting all that is wrong with our driving culture and the response is to wear an armband?

So, instead of futile symbolism, how about coming up with actions instead that will make a difference. Join or form a lobbying group, find out from any of the various cycling bodies where to begin. Bid for funds from PPA, Lotto, CSA, corporates, whoever, to run ads at prime time, not during cycling tv shows to remind motorists of the law and to educate them on how to not knock over cyclists.

Lobby via MECs or whoever for changes to laws that increase penalties and make prosecution and conviction more likely. Donate time. expertise or money to an organisation that can make a difference.

But armbands? Give me a break.

Interestingly, i see the "accident" happened at 6.05 - 6.15 supposedly due to being blinded by the sun. Sunrise: 6.24.

And the narrow-roads-is-asking-to-get-hit refrain is the same logic as wearing-mini-skirts-is-asking-to-get-raped. Yes, busy narrow winding roads with poor forward visibility should be avoided, but the R62 there hardly falls into that category, but its more the mindset i object to, because it's a short hop from there to, "stay off the roads because they're dangerous". Its not the roads that knock cyclists over, its drivers.
[/quote']

dude its a start the more non cyclist we can get to do this the more alert and respectful they will be towards cyclist

o and i will definitly be wearing one and a few of my cycling and non cycling buddies. I have emailed the nigel pierce show on goodhope fm im also going to contact cape talk lets make this a massive effort and get noticed

Guest Frail4Life

I have posted different threads on this Topic.

"One Min Pray at the Roadside at the End of your ride"

I will be wearing my armband, I wear it 365 days.

I am also already busy with different Radio Stations, Government, Social Development.   

Guest Big H

I emailed Andrew M last night asking if he could say something about the black armbands on Supercycling tonihgt. He emailed me back fairly quickly. He will not be on Supercycling tonight but he said he will SMS Owen and Gerald and ask them to mention the Black Armbands at ARGUS tonight.

Do not let rodger rabbit disstress you guys. He is one of those dreamers with grandoise plans.

I emailed Andrew M last night asking if he could say something about the black armbands on Supercycling tonihgt. He emailed me back fairly quickly. He will not be on Supercycling tonight but he said he will SMS Owen and Gerald and ask them to mention the Black Armbands at ARGUS tonight.

Do not let rodger rabbit disstress you guys. He is one of those dreamers with grandoise plans.
Yep! I think we all figured that out BigH, at least the rest of us seem to know what we mean and what we are doing here.

I was knocked of my bike in 1998 and was told I must never ride again. I nearly lost my right leg, broke ribs, fractured my scull and had serious spine injuries. I started riding 2 years ago and I must say that the level driving by motorist has dropped in the last 10 years. I?m in but we need to contact KFM and make them aware of the idea. They back cycling so it will be in their interest to do so and we will be able to get the message to the masses.

I am in.A very sad day for all cyclists.When will the authorities take action ! Maybe a few traffic officials should go to the UK,France and the like to see how those countries make the roads more safe for cyclists.

Cry

I was knocked of my bike in 1998 and was told I must never ride again. I nearly lost my right leg' date=' broke ribs, fractured my scull and had serious spine injuries. I started riding 2 years ago and I must say that the level driving by motorist has dropped in the last 10 years. I?m in but we need to contact KFM and make them aware of the idea. They back cycling so it will be in their interest to do so and we will be able to get the message to the masses.

[/quote']

I contacted goodhopefm, 5fm and cape talk no luck with the first two yet not sure about cape talk yet.

<BS....more BS>> 

cut cut BS

[/quote']

Ian Dude...while I resapect your free speech....do me ONE BIG FAVOUR....?

Please do not wear a black armband!!!

We'll manage quite alright without your support!! GOOD luck with the EPO bud...I see it has already shrinked your gonads!!

It takes balls to make a statement - you don't have 'em....