Bad service from bike shops in Centurion

simhen

I don't know whether this is a common occurance but I went to 3 bike shops in Centurion today namely Grant Cycles, CycleLab Centurion and Cajees Centurion asking about road bikes.

Im not entirely new to cycling, I have MTB but I am looking to get a road bike. Now going to these cycling shops looking for some advice on what to get, what size I should get etc. the only question I was asked is what is your budget.

Not in one of the stores did they ask me for what purpose is the bike, (which is going to be for duathlons btw), they didnt check what size it should be. They just sorta sized me and then said ok this is your size which was different in all 3 shops.

Are there actually some decent cycle shops left in Pretoria and Centurion and is there anyone who has also experienced the same kind of really bad service?

Epic Sports is good, but a bit more mtb spesific.

They have however given me good advice on road bikes.

Must say however that the first question I would ask is also to know what your budget is. You have to work from there. Then tell them what the purpose of the bike is.

Cycle lab, Centurion have also given me great advice on buying a road bike. The guy was very informative and he measured me to give the correct sizing.

• 5 months later...

I suppose there is some merit in asking your budget before showing you the bikes. They dont want to waste your time showing you an entry level bike if you want the ultimate R50k+ machine... ;)

I agree with Meerkat, they need a starting point and your budget is the starting point. I must say I have only ever receive great service from Grant Cycles, bought my mtb there and their after service is excellent.