How may people did Sub3 Argus this year?

sharkysa

• Replies 44
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Race was hard' date=' riders were getting dropped at UCT already, Smits dropped alot of riders, was really hard until Oceanview where Medescheme put everyone in the gutter, ripped the remaining bunch to sh*t, chase, chase, chase, chase, chase, really hard, chase, really hard, chase, really hard Finish.

[/quote']

Yeah basically what Lange said at the finish - that was the tactics they wanted to bring to the table and it worked.

So basically it ended up with a pro race in front - and a elite race in the main bunch.

Good to see some names that made the cut and stayed in the race.

Impressed that Stander managed to get into the break and competed in the sprint. Lange were to clever for them in the end.

any comments on "the armstrong effect" as its become known ?? Wink

The Armstrong effect was a lot more supporters on the side of the road. Other than that I dont think he changed the race at all.

The Armstrong effect was a lot more supporters on the side of the road. Other than that I dont think he changed the race at all.

Yep - Stander also said that on the finish. Guess he did not play a part, but surely made riders more aware and wake up for attacks ?

Glad he just let the race proceed as its should without intervening. Would have been stupid to try and drop a bunch of GIRO riders, if your the one with the fresh legs on race day, I also think he underestimated the sprinting capabilities of the breakaway.

Was it worth it to consider Daryll for a sprint win against the other riders like lange ,van heerden, stander etc ? For me he is more a GC rider - climber ?

Race radio's were banned for the GIRO, right ?

And Argus ? As well ? just asking.

From now on no race radios in any race in SA, right ?

According to the UCI's new rule that banned radios for all Juniors and cat 1 racers down..

Guest colonel

So basically it ended up with a pro race in front - and a elite race in the main bunch.

What you talking about? There were Pro riders from SA and from Germany in the 2nd and 3rd chase groups and there was no main group after Oceanview, or Smits for that matter.

Guest colonel

Yep - Stander also said that on the finish. Guess he did not play a part' date=' but surely made riders more aware and wake up for attacks ?Glad he just let the race proceed as its should without intervening. Would have been stupid to try and drop a bunch of GIRO riders, if your the one with the fresh legs on race day, I also think he underestimated the sprinting capabilities of the breakaway.Was it worth it to consider Daryll for a sprint win against the other riders like lange ,van heerden, stander etc ? For me he is more a GC rider - climber ?[/quote']

You have no idea do you?

No offence.

Medscheme forced the 12 man split as the riders turned right by Slangkop / Kommetjie. We were the 2nd chasing bunch, in our group there were 5 MTN riders (including Kevan Evans) and 4 DCM Chrome riders who were taking up the chase all the way to the finish. Astana?

Yep - Stander also said that on the finish. Guess he did not play a part' date=' but surely made riders more aware and wake up for attacks ?Glad he just let the race proceed as its should without intervening. Would have been stupid to try and drop a bunch of GIRO riders, if your the one with the fresh legs on race day, I also think he underestimated the sprinting capabilities of the breakaway.Was it worth it to consider Daryll for a sprint win against the other riders like lange ,van heerden, stander etc ? For me he is more a GC rider - climber ?[/quote']

You have no idea do you?

No offence.

None taken

have no idea because I wasn't there and couldn't see anything on the poor broadcast on SABC.

I'm stating my thoughts and asking

139 sub 3's

What has the average number of sub 3's been over the last couple of years in the less windy races?

Medscheme forced the 12 man split as the riders turned right by Slangkop / Kommetjie. We were the 2nd chasing bunch' date=' in our group there were 5 MTN riders (including Kevan Evans) and 4 DCM Chrome riders who were taking up the chase all the way to the finish. Astana?[/quote']

not saying its Pro's infront vs elites at the back. Just saying - the break was pro riders and then the elites +plus the pro's in the break's team mates also the ones who did not make the break.

not downgrading the performance of you guys in the 2nd bunch - just painting a picture of the events.

Sub 3's finishers:

2010 - 138 (?)   (very windy, boy's drive, 110km)

2009 - 111   (storm, boy's drive, 110km)

2008 - 1781  (no boy's drive)  very good weather 109km

2007 -  +-1340  (no boy's drive) perfect weather 109km

2006 -  815  (no boy's drive) 108km cool weather

2005 -  237   (very windy) 108km

2004 -   936  (good weather)

2003 -  +-810  (De-tour, very good weather) 109km

2002 -  +-315  (De-tour, part of the Argus was stopped, HOT 42C) 109km

2001 -  +-460  (De-tour) 109km

2000 -  384  (1st De-tour, 109km)

1999 -  1225  (105km, Maiden Cove finish, Chappies)

Take or leave a few...

PeterM2010-03-16 09:27:41

When it was 108km what was different about the route?

I have only ridden the 109 and 110.