Velokhaya

Once

For those who watched Supercycling this evening you would have seen the South African launch of Velokhaya, an initiative to promote awareness and fundraising for cycling transformation.

Go and check out the website - www.velokhaya.com - for more information and to enter the competition to win a genuine Team CSC Cervelo autographed by Carlos Sastre and Cervelo designer, Phil White.

The aim of the SA competition is to raise funds to purchase 100 bicycles for use in transformation programs in both road and mountain biking.

The HUB is a proud supporter of this initiative.  Thumbs%20Up

Admin2007-07-10 14:42:38

• Replies 46
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

As part of the international launch of Velokhaya, six kids from previously disadvantaged communities will be leaving tomorrow for France where they will spend a week in the Alps.

During this time Velokhaya will be launched in Europe along with the official partners Team CSC, CSC, Decente and Cervelo.

This is going to be a phenomenal experience for these kids who are going to rub shoulders with the best in the world, not to mention experience a side of life that they have no idea of.

To give you an idea of what is going through their minds at the moment: one of the youngsters, who has never flown before, asked today how the plane stayed in the air.smiley32.gif

This trip is going to be classic!

Once2007-07-10 13:47:59

I think this is a wonderfull initiative........ but only if it will work practically.

What worries me though is that during the LOTTO handout the same thing was tried. how many of the LOTTO Raleigh RC3000's are still around and how many of those cyclists are up and coming budding new prospects????? I am sceptical of any success. Is there any guarantees that this will work????? The LOTTO Raleighs were handed out without any backup ssystem. The bikes had NO tubes, tyres, tools, brakeblocks or services included. In a community where even basic foodstuffs is difficult to supply on a daily basis, bicycle spares is VERRRRY low key. The bikes will even be sold to supply food.

Rather sponsor a sign with Shaun's initiative or join a cycling club and get your license.
Hendrik Petoors2007-07-10 16:03:01

Velokhaya is the concept of the Life Cycling Academy, SA's most successful transformation cycling initiative, with over 500 participants and 4 bases of operation.

Unlike other transformation initiatives, the LCA is based in solid business principles and a complete understanding of the fact that the infrastructure is what supports the cyclists participation. Over and above this is also an understanding of the requirements of members of our PDC's in order to make thier participation successful.

One of the objectives of the organisation is to be able to have programs in as many provinces as possible in order to promote mass participation and competitive cycling, along the same principles as the present programs. In addition to this Velokhaya is aimed at raising the funds to establish a cycling centre in Khayelitsha where top level elite cyclists can be accommodated, mentored and trained.

For more information go to the "our purpose" page and read more about the LCA's vision for the future and the planned role out.

I must admit I tend to agree with Hendrik. How will sending 6 kids to France make them better cyclists? Who's going with them to France? I'll babysit if you need... Heck a free trip to France...

I started on a Raleigh RC1000 last year and put in LOTS of hours. Give them bikes and make them ride at least 1hr a day. Spend the money that you would have used to send them to France on bicycle computers, heart rate monitors, coaches, clothing, and like HP says : spares!! Lots of spares!

Personally I think a trip to France is a waste and time of money...

I think you guys are missing the point.

This is part of a very big, sustainable transformation program with the objective of attracting more funding and infrastrucure into the transformation and development of cycling in our previously disadvantaged communities.

Lets not let this thread go the negative route of most other transformation/development threads.......................lets be positive about what's currently happening and what can happen through everyone's support.

I think this is a wonderfull initiative........ but only if it will work practically.

What worries me though is that during the LOTTO handout the same thing was tried. how many of the LOTTO Raleigh RC3000's are still around and how many of those cyclists are up and coming budding new prospects????? I am sceptical of any success. Is there any guarantees that this will work????? The LOTTO Raleighs were handed out without any backup ssystem. The bikes had NO tubes' date=' tyres, tools, brakeblocks or services included. In a community where even basic foodstuffs is difficult to supply on a daily basis, bicycle spares is VERRRRY low key. The bikes will even be sold to supply food.

Rather sponsor a sign with Shaun's initiative or join a cycling club and get your license.
[/quote']

Ek stem saam met jou op hierdie een, wat van kinders van wit agtergeblewe gemeenskappe( kinders wat se ouers nie eers die basiese kan voorsien , kinderhuis kinders) het hulle nie ook 'n reg om so iets te doen of daaraan blootgestel te word nie.

Ek is nie 'n rassis nie maar hoekom moet net swart kinders na ander kant toe geneem word en nie 'n kind wat op meriete geneem word nie.

Dis soos hierdie sms wat nou gedoen word om 'n sokkerbal te skenk deur te sms, sal dit nie doen nie want ek speel nie sokker nie,  hoekom kan ons as die gemeenskap nie veel eerder betrokke raak en help om behoeftige kinders van ou fietse te voorsien, kry die fiets winkels betrokke.

As almal bymekaar kom met tweedehandse fiets onderdele kan ons vir baie kinders 'n fiets opbou, ek weet ek het al klaar amper twee onvolledige groupsets wat net hier en daar 'n part of twee kort om volledig te wees.

En dit is nie ou goed wat ons het nie ja dis al gebruik maar dis nog reg en dit werk, anders as wat ons kan se van ander inisiatiewe wat geloots is.

So wie is saam met my in die voorstel kom ons kry ons eie huis in orde voordat ons almal emosioneel word en vir " die voorheen agtergeblewenes" alles wil gee en hulle dit nie gaan waardeer of verkoop soos Hendrik wederegtelik se nie, en ons steek hand aan eie boesem en help kinders wat regtig swaar trek.

My R0.02 sent werd

Sammajoor, OomH and Once, I agree with all three. 

1. Once, how are you going to ensure that the guy you give the bike to is not going to sell it, or have his dad use it for basic transport?

2. OomH and sammajoor, give the gyus a chance.  We might just have the next Karpets in the making in a Radebe from Soweto.

3. Sammajoor, I have to agree with you.  Once, what about the "other" kids (i.e. white, indian and coloured) sitting around in kids homes, etc?  What about them?

4. France, why France?  To get them "lus" for cycling?  Hells bells, take them to ANY SA club (Cyclelab, Telkom, TCS, flip even Asso di Fiori) and let them get the vibe there.  Yes I know it's a PR stunt sending them over there, but you can buy these guys decent Cannondales for the price of having them visit Europe!!  What about letting them meet our own pro's and semi's.  Andrew, Nic, Nolan, Prince, John-Lee, RH (and the list goes ON) won't they be MUCH bigger motivation than someone in another country with diff challenges?

Once, the idea is EXCELLENT, but once again a bit single sided and not really thought of i.t.o. costs and application in a typical SA environment.

What about letting them meet our own pro's and semi's.  Andrew' date=' Nic, Nolan, Prince, John-Lee, RH (and the list goes ON)

[/quote']

You forgot to mention a morning with the Style Guru.... They have to look the part!!! Big%20smile

What about letting them meet our own pro's and semi's.  Andrew' date=' Nic, Nolan, Prince, John-Lee, RH (and the list goes ON)
[/quote']

You forgot to mention a morning with the Style Guru.... They have to look the part!!! Big%20smile

Djy stir alweer, and where were you when this was being contemplated you look very guilty to me!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!WinkWinkWink

You have a chance to reach all of SA's youth (all colours) if the TDF was broadcast on SABC.  By sending a handfull of black kids to Europe to watch the tour in person, you are just pi$$ing development money away.

Trekker2007-07-11 01:10:39

The Life Cycling Academy has been around for 4 years now and has a solid infrastructure from which we work. Our programs start with school based cycling education programs, through to club programs and then on to elite level programs.

Visit the websites - www.velokhaya.com and www.lifeacademy.co.za in order to see that the fears that you are all displaying are not relevant to our efforts.

Once again lets be positive.

I think you guys are missing the point.

This is part of a very big' date=' sustainable transformation program with the objective of attracting more funding and infrastrucure into the transformation and development of cycling in our previously disadvantaged communities.

Lets not let this thread go the negative route of most other transformation/development threads.......................lets be positive about what's currently happening and what can happen through everyone's support.
[/quote']

How dare you say we are missing the point!!!!!!! You are missing the point with your pipe dream...... totally missing the point..... all this in a climate where the Minister of Police says people are self to blame for their problems while at the same time tells tax paying citizens they will have to pay to get more secure suburbs!!!!!!! Negative route???? we are critisizing your so called mission where you ask us to support something that looks weak and you critisize us with negativeness instead of campaigning..... forget about my support!!!!!!

The previous LOTTO distribution of Raleighs was run by CSA(SACF)/Lotto. Nothing came out of it. Some of the track Fuji's may still be running. What safeguards have you built in to stop this kind of abuse form happening agian.... and again... and again??????????