What to upgrade

Gsxr

I currently have a 2009 GT zaskar expert alu frame with SLX components, I like the carbon frames but should I rather upgrade components or go for a carbon frame?

Depends, I like my carbon zaskar but in the end if you are going to wipeout hard or allot you might damage it, so a good move if you can get the frame insured. 

Coming from an alu bike the slight bit of vibration damping does wonders for you lower back, specially on longer rides.  Depending on the frame you get, I doubt you will save so much weight though.

my 2c- go tubeless, then try a lighter wheelset with that and a better fork than the recon (reba/sid/fox).  Later you can get a nice 2nd hand carbon frame from the hub and build the parts onto that. 

If you want to buy a new carbon frame and upgrade stuff, maybe rather get a frame new in sa and the rest from crc while selling the old stuff on the hub.

Dont buy a complete local bike like I did and fully upgrade every part though, it will end up costing way more than getting the frame and then speccing the parts you want from crc.  Or you can obviously buy a full bike here, but its expensive and you will mostlikely not really get the spec you want. 

Depends' date=' I like my carbon zaskar but in the end if you are going to wipeout hard or allot you might damage it, so a good move if you can get the frame insured. 

Coming from an alu bike the slight bit of vibration damping does wonders for you lower back, specially on longer rides.  Depending on the frame you get, I doubt you will save so much weight though.

my 2c- go tubeless, then try a lighter wheelset with that and a better fork than the recon (reba/sid/fox).  Later you can get a nice 2nd hand carbon frame from the hub and build the parts onto that. 

If you want to buy a new carbon frame and upgrade stuff, maybe rather get a frame new in sa and the rest from crc while selling the old stuff on the hub.

Dont buy a complete local bike like I did and fully upgrade every part though, it will end up costing way more than getting the frame and then speccing the parts you want from crc.  Or you can obviously buy a full bike here, but its expensive and you will mostlikely not really get the spec you want. 
[/quote']

ww looks like you clued up with this wheel thing, should I go with tubeless conversion or rather save and get other rims and tyres?

get a a good light set of wheels. and tyres at the same time. you could get a convertion kit in the mean time if you need to save up for a decent wheel set.

but the big diffrence you'll feel when you get the new wheels. lighter = fast more responsive

single speed, rigid fork, v brakes,

wait,

what about a steel frame  On-One has some nice ones.Wink

Gsxr what do you weigh and where do you ride ?

If you're light and don't ride cape epic type terrain daily, then a tubeless conversion with normal tyres will be fine, cheap and light. 

If you're heavy or ride hectic terrain rather go full ust tyres and rims, you'll have less tyre issues then.

Gsxr what do you weigh and where do you ride ?

If you're light and don't ride cape epic type terrain daily' date=' then a tubeless conversion with normal tyres will be fine, cheap and light. 

If you're heavy or ride hectic terrain rather go full ust tyres and rims, you'll have less tyre issues then.
[/quote']

I weigh 82kg

Which way to go for around 4k?

< ="-" ="text/; =utf-8">< name="ProgId" ="Word.">< name="Generator" ="Microsoft Word 10">< name="Originator" ="Microsoft Word 10"><>

Shimano XT 775 Wheelset

R4

• XT

wheelset borrows heavily from the proven design and engineering principles

pioneered by the latest generation of XTR wheels

• XT wheels are perfectly

optimized for toughness, light weight, reliability and all-out speed

• Center Lock (559x19)

disc-brake compatible with standard Q/R front hub

• 14/15/14g spokes

• 7075 T6 alloy oversized axles

• 24-spoke design