Query re CO2 Bombs

RodTi

Hey all....

Seeing the Stans conversion thread got me thinking...

I recently upgrade my wheelset, and had the conversion done.

Touch wood - as of yet - I've had no problems.

Which means, I've yet to use my Barbieri Moskuito(?) bomb-set (?) that I bought...

The instructions are barely understandable - it appears as if Italian(?) English is a close second behind Japanese English - but should be ok if the need arises.

My question though, pertains to me hearing/reading here and there about fingers being frozen [as in sticking - as in if you were to stick your tongue against ice] to bombs/wheel/valve etc....

What exactly is this all about? Does it happen? Which part becomes so cold - the bomb after its been used? Must you be careful when you remove it? Or does the whole valve become frozen?

If this is all a myth - some clarity would be appreciated...

Ta!Big%20smile 

When gas expands it cools. When it expands rapidly, it cools rapidly. EG: deoderant is cold when u spray it coz its expanding. Now, think about how much gas is in a CO2 bomb and how rapidly it expands. The rapid expansion causes the outside of the bomb (and your fingers if they're touching it) to freeze. It can cause some light burns if you're not careful...

Use a piece of tube to hold the bomb while inflating your tube

When gas expands it cools. When it expands rapidly' date=' it cools rapidly. EG: deoderant is cold when u spray it coz its expanding. Now, think about how much gas is in a CO2 bomb and how rapidly it expands. The rapid expansion causes the outside of the bomb (and your fingers if they're touching it) to freeze. It can cause some light burns if you're not careful...

Use a piece of tube to hold the bomb while inflating your tube

[/quote']

So it's only the bomb?

And this obviously is not a problem with a screw-in bomb applicator, since the bomb is already inside the 'applicator', i.e. not in contact with your fingers....

Thanks!

I've always just held the bare bomb in my glove and never had a problem. The bomb ends up with a layer of ice on it by the time you've used it but if you hold it properly then you should not have a problem.

Hi RodTi.

Yes, the BOMB part becomes cold......white.  Use an old tube to pull it over the bomb for your fingers not to get stuck on the bomb.  Complements of Bicycling.

Generally its only the bomb. Bear in mind metal conducts temperature very well, so the valve that the ice cold air is blowing into can also get very cold. I've using the barbieri pnk applicator (see pic) which is just a little valve cap that screws ontop of the bomb. I dont like the BIG applicator that covers the bomb - i'm a weight weenie sometimes Tongue

http://www.barbieripnk.it/jetsetgr.gif

Like Spinnekop said, it appeared in the Bicycling mag a few issues ago -besides protecting your hands from freezing, it also stops any knocking sound in your tubby bag or back pocket (the tube over the bomb).