Fork Oil

Guest coenie

Guest coenie

Does anyone know what oil to use in a RST First Platinum, and also how much....

Then, where do you get the Dust wipers in Cape Town

Anyone?

generally youll use 5W available at any motorbike shop, then service manual & start stripping away

Dust seals - cant help you there bud

First time around - you might not need new dust wipers...just take em off carefully and clean them nicely in some parafin...

Guest coenie

Whats with the accent? It's pronounced fokkol Wacko

HUH????

Guest coenie

I could not find any info on the web wrt to the type or amount of oil to use....

as for the dust seals, there is not one shop in cape town that sells them.....so I am going to have to get a FOX forks next.......Sorry Kiwi

Guest coenie

Whats with the accent? It's pronounced fokkol Wacko

I bought some fork oil the other day from World of Accessories (http://worldofaccessories.co.za/component/virtuemart/?page=shop.browse), they sell stuff on-line too. I just went for the Castrol fork oil which goes at R70 per litre (it was the cheapest!). I got a 5W & 10W since these seem to be the most popular weights required by most forks & I just blend equal amounts of the two to produce a 7.5W oil

Keep in mind that oils of the same weight from different manufacturers will not be the same. So, you'll have to dial in your fork/shock settings once you've completed your service.

Super Mil, also bear in mind that oil blending isn't a linear affair. 

It doesn't work on averages, so mixing equal amounts of 5 and 10 doesn't give you 7.5.

GoLefty is the oil expert around here and he may be willing to give you the ratios if you supply him with some of the oil's vital statistics - detail that's not on the packaging but on the data sheet - perhaps on the website.

The oil weight is not critical though, since the W spec in hydraulic oil is not standard but a bit of a thumbsuck in the industry. If your oil is too light, it will simply damp differently and you'll find your normal preferred damping at a different setting on the damping dial.

The 5W from Castrol is just fine in Fox forks.

Absolutely. It won't give you 7.5 but it will give you an oil somewhere between a 5W & 10W. That's all I need ;)

Setting up the fork with the correct sag and sorting out the damping during the first couple of rides will sort out any of the oil weight differences (as you said above).