William Nicol eeek

kosmonooit

How "safe" would commuting from Linden to Sunninghill along the spruit be? I mean ideally i would want to get away from all the traffic! I know its muddy but lets say one showers at work. Might be good to get a group of riders commuting along there? ? ?

• Replies 35
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

How "safe" would commuting from Linden to Sunninghill along the spruit be? I mean ideally i would want to get away from all the traffic! I know its muddy but lets say one showers at work. Might be good to get a group of riders commuting along there? ? ?
Key being "group". Otherwise not really all that safe...

I ride William Nicoll regularly when commuting, and it's mostly fine.

I ride a cyclo-cross bike (previously I rode an MTB), so pavements/parks/verges are acceptable.

The problem areas I see are:

- Hyde Park with no verges, but the pavement, gutters and park are ridable.

- between Sandton Drive and Grosvenor - no verges, but there are long sections of ridable pavement and verge.

So as long as you avoid a road bike (which I do from a commuting point of view for the glass on the road as well), most of the road is fine...

I cycled from Bryanston to Rosebank this morning' date=' along William Nicol. What a horrendous experience.  No back roads because of road closures, and no verge on the main road, no pavement.

[/quote']

or get a mountan bike. get into the spruit as soon as you can - the downhill at republic might be swampy after all the rain. i join spruit sometimes there, sometimes at conrad, sometimes in delta park - coming from ferndale side. exit just before barry hertzog, backroads (neigbourhoodraods) to rosebank - or go to the dam, then to rosebank past vida