>>> Bicycle Portraits

Great photos. Good luck with the project. I've already contributed 2 bikes to the underprivileged' date=' unfortunately not willingly.[/quote']

Sorry to hear that.

The underpriviledged and thugs are not nessecarily to be grouped together though. There are many kinds of underpriviledged and priviledged people. But I understand your pain, most of my bicycles have been stolen too.

I don't necessarily see the people we photograph as underpriviledged though, the project is about all people that use bicycles for everday use. We are trying to promote that. Although many of them cycle as they can't afford motorized transport it would be awesome if more 'priviledged' people would try out their bikes as well. The project is not / shouldn't be about 'us and them'.

It is kind of relative too, some people sitting in traffic to Joburg might feel less priviledged after spending some time with someone that cycles every day.    

• Replies 36
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

didn't gary perkin start something like this a while back.......not trying to take a dig or anything it just reminded me all of a sudden......either way those pics are are very cool.........

Thanks rock... You maybe have a link to the other project? Would love to see it.

I would love to make a pledge' date=' unfortunately Amazon Payments refuses to accept the fact that I do not live in the USA.

[/quote']

Thanks for trying!

Mmm, pity about the amazon thing, most people who have pledged are South African though... I've used my normal amazon account to pledge towards other projects too.

Anyhow, thanks for the interest.

I think this is a brilliant initiative / concept and would love a copy. Would you accept photographic submissions if they are suitable?

Thanks, have thought about it, still early days... perhaps a the project evolves and grows we will setup a community photo section. Will keep you posted.

Please.Sometimes things just doesn't look right' date=' and this is one of those times.

[/quote']

Well Azonic, anybody can see this looks like a bike with a stolen history, but it's out there, we cycled around and found it... our project is about whatever is out there, we will have much to choose from for the book so this one might not make it... but guess it gets talked about:)... wouldn't think it cool to sensor the project.

Nope. Remember to drop off a copy of this book with the addresses of each person in it at your local police station / bike shop! Might get some stolen bikes back.

Here's a new name for the book: "Stolen Bike Chronicles" Smile

Not all of them though, but some def.

"Stolen Bike Chronicles"

That sounds like a cool name for a book thanks. Maybe another one... Your need to generalise it into something like that would hopefully change once you read through your book :)

Wow! its been a great two days on kickstarter! We received $1500! Still a long way to go though... 27 days left! thanks to anyone who pledged/ordered! Remember you are making the project possible!

http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/bicycleportraits/bicycle-portraits-everyday-south-africans-and-thei/widget/card.jpg

muesli2010-05-20 18:09:08

Come guys, this book isn't going to happen unless you pledge. $50 gets you a copy of the book.

And to those of you moaning about stolen bikes... well, you're just completely missing the point.

Thanks Niterider!

Catch the Bicycle Portraits interview on Supersport Supercycling... (about 20minutes into the show)

Wednesday, June 09, 2010

16:00 - 17:00     SS5

Thursday, June 10, 2010

00:00 - 01:00     CSN

00:00 - 01:00     SS2

Friday, June 11, 2010

13:00 - 14:00     SS7

Sunday, June 13, 2010

06:30 - 07:30     SS5

And remember... if you like it... order a book!:)