Robbers target cyclists, bikers

Robotech

"So we too must not buy a car once we leave school as that too will make us bigger targets for thieves."

Aww cr@p i've been arguing with teenagers.

But me and Scotty are gonna buy cars when we leave school cuz we're tough and we dont care.

Billy the kid will be envious. To be clear, 2 thugs with adrenalin pumping through their veins jump out with guns pointing at you, you are then able to draw your weapon and shoot both dead before they have had a chance to shoot back, all the while carrying on cycling.

"So we too must not buy a car once we leave school as that too will make us bigger targets for thieves."

But me and Scotty are gonna buy cars when we leave school cuz we're tough and we dont care.

Us east randers are tough

Actually I was not speaking about either of you, but rather showing you what a stupid comparison it was to being more of a target-read all the post.But I still don't hear any suggestion from you just sarcasm tough boy.LOL

As with all crime in our country' date=' there is very little concequence so they carry on. As I mentioned in a previous posting- once a few of them get shot ( dead) no court case or bail they will stop their s#*t.[/quote']

100% agree with you!!

Billy the kid will be envious. To be clear, 2 thugs with adrenalin pumping through their veins jump out with guns pointing at you, you are then able to draw your weapon and shoot both dead before they have had a chance to shoot back, all the while carrying on cycling.

Lolly Jackson was also tough like you twoOuchAnd unlike you two I was not trying to be a hero, but rather say if they give any chance I'll shoot them. We not all ninjas trained in the way of the dragon like you two.

Actually I was not speaking about either of you' date=' but rather showing you what a stupid comparison it was to being more of a target-read all the post.But I still don't hear any suggestion from you just sarcasm tough boy.LOL[/quote']

Sorry was just messing about.

Suggestions? 

Be cool like Fonzie.

Dont take unnecessary risks.

If you cant enjoy your cycling without constant fear of attack, go with a club; drive to somewhere nice and ride, or stop.

Have a look at this. This was written by one of the bikers involved.  It is from a motorbike forum.

Ok, Finally. I have a moment to explain what happened.

We went up riding our regular route past the spot where the broken down house is. This now being more or less between Wierda Park and Erasmia on top of the mountain range. This is a regular route for pedestrians, as it would save them about a 5-10km walk. Ive never felt threatened there nor ever suspected its a dangerous area. Ive been there in the region of 20 times. Never have I had any problems, and had many a pedestrians walking past me there. Greeting, smiles waves etc. Im not an aggressive person.

So, as per normal, we stopped to pop a quick coffee,as its 7:45 in the almost winter morning, and the view is as always, exceptional from there. Its a climb only dual sport/offroad bikes, bicycles and 4x4 can make.

As we were drinking coffee this "person" (as I can think of a few other names!) comes walking our way, no biggie, this has happened to me before, we are friendly folk. When he was about 2m away from me, he said "down". Im still standing there with my coffee, smiling at him. Then I saw the gun. Still not a problem, come closer, ill show you bikers are not easily phased. I then asked him if he is sure, and if he is serious that he wants to go through with this today(I was really ready for him). It was then that the other "person" came climbing through the broken down house's window, sprouting a nice and shiny 38 special!

Finally I took a sip of my coffee, then had my hands in the air, still holding my both the flask and mug. No point being only 3 people and fighting 2 armed gun men.

We then had the normal drill, lie down next to each other. I still had my coffee and asked if I can drink it, I mean, this will take a long time. We are alone in the veld, no one for miles. The one "person" said I could drink it, the other said no. Screw that, ill drink my coffee! Im thirsty after all.

I think that they are amateurs, they allowed me to take a close look at them, and I will be able to identify them very easily.

We we're just about finished with all they took, as they were not interested in the bikes. Then the group of cyclists (luckily no women) caught up with us. These two criminals then hid in the bushes again, and we were still stuck on the ground. They were a tightly knit group of five and arrived basically together, and got pulled into our situation.

Our robbery was basically over,now it started again! As we were to many to handle for now, they started tying us up with fence wire, they prolly stole from the broken down house, or nearby farmers. Now that we were a bigger group, we were no longer allowed to look around.

The second thing that makes me think they were amateurs is, that they requested the pin codes of all the phones they stole. Don't they know we block that!?

It started getting quiet, and I started to look around again, I mean, we are not going to lie there the whole day, we still have some riding to do, nothing left to steal!  http://www.wilddog.za.net/forum/Smileys/default/smiley.gif The one bastid was still there, and threatened to shoot me if I look again. He was not going to take any chances, he took a pick and pay bag, and put it over my head, and put my helmet on my head so that I cannot see. (Not so that I cannot breathe).

The one guy did not get tied down, nor did he hand over his cell phone. Once they were gone, he untied us all and phoned the police. These oke's were on foot, and could easily have been caught, if the ZA police service was not so up to sh*t (pardon my french). We phoned the police, and their answer was: "No one was shot, we will be there in 2 hours".

This is totally unacceptable!

We helped the cyclists get down the mountain, and flagged down a cop van. The woman inside the van was not too keen to come and have a look. The cyclists then climbed into the van, and went to the Erasmia police station.

We could care less at this moment about road rules etc, and rode on tar to Wierda Brug Police station. (Useless station in my opinion). The photo of the smaller criminal was on the wall, for get this: ARMED ROBBERY. To which the police didnt really care when I responded...

We know where they are, come help us, we'll catch them. What do we get from the police, nada!

Im not pissed that I got robbed, its life, im not even traumatised, im VERY ANGRY with how things are handled!

Chaps im sorry to say we are fighting a losing battle in this country. I always said i will stay as things will come right. The robberies hijackings etc i have put up with but if i cant even go for a freakin mtb ride on my weekend then to me its time to move on.

People can say we must do something but the cops dont care, Govt dont care, and the main problem is the cops look at us with indefference when u report a crime as they see u as the enemy. man this place has gone to the dogs bollocks

Sorry to hear your story.It's sad they are really ruining our carefree fun time!

Has this happened to anyone within bike parks eg Groenkloof, Cheese Farm, Northern Farms etc??