Is Mountain Biking always so unorganised?

Muddy_Mike

Hi Guys, I am very new to the mountain bike scene. I started riding a month or 2 ago and did my 1st two races over the past weekend.Thumbs%20Down. The 1st event was the Beest trail in Skeerpoort: The biggest problems was the huge bottleneck at the start and then the 20km turned out to be 28km - Not a big deal if you are a seasoned rider but for lots of new riders and especialy the many kids riding, it was a very poor show. The organisers didn't even have the courtesy to tell the riders at the start and their excuse was that a farmer in the area pulled out at the last minute. The route could easily have been reduced to 20km by leaving the last loop out. 2nd Event was the Avianto Mtb Race: 1st problem: Not having decent event markers to the venue as it was not at Avianto venue but at the unknown residential development 5km drive away. 2nd problem: Didn't have enough cable ties for all the riders race numbers. 3rd problem: 20km route ended up being 16km! DONT THESE ORGANISER'S HAVE A COMPUTER! At least the Avianto route was awesome with great climbs, decents and variety.

Someone please tell me that not all Mtb races are organised like this? Maybe I have just been pampered in my road running days!Angry

• Replies 39
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest Frail4Life

Welcome to the Hub Muddy Mike. The same story here in the Cape. smiley19.gif smiley19.gif

David

give these races some time to get up to standard (NOT saying stop riding them, just be patient), in the mean time ride another more established race - and chill, coz lets face it, if you not finishing in the top 20, you not really 'racing' (note: everything has limits - im just saying, if its minor, its minor).

EDIT: welcome to the hub mate...
messenger2010-05-17 05:45:50

Messenger: Actually I raced it pretty hard and finished 8th in the 20km. I will ride it again, but some basics should still be there even if it is a new race.

I also don't like it when race distance is inaccurate. Don't mind it though.

If you're looking for a nice event, do babbas lodge this weekend. It's one of my favourites. It's on once a month

Muddy Mike. With regards to the Avianto race, this was the first race that they've have organised. The race actually was at Avianto. That is the sports complex, which is on Avianto Estate. You actually rode on the Avianto grounds. The online entry was slightly confusing. The map was to Avianto, but lots of people were told they couldn't park there as the parking was full. That is why some people had to drive to the other side (I had to), however online it did say that it was at the Sports complex, or something like that. I do agree that they should have had marking too it.

The guys at Eagle Canyon Cycles are involved with this whole thing, so I'll mention that too them.

The owner of Avianto wants to make this into a safe MTB'ing haven with trails that you can ride whenever you want. He also wants it to be a series with a race every month, so let's try help them improve the race by letting them know all this.

I had a few issues with the race, but I let Tim (part of the organizing team) know about it after the race. 1. They should have a water table at the end of the 20km/40km, and halfway on the 40km races. It's not needed, but it'll make the race a bit better. 2. Some of the route markings were a bit vague.

Let's look at some of the positives.

1. Value for money was excellent. There was free coffee and cookies etc... before the race.

2. Included in the entry fee was a T-Shirt, a free meal voucher for a Wors Roll, or Burger (Chicken or Beef) after the race.

3. There was no LATE entry fee (although you didn't get the shirt).

4. As you said, a lekker route (with no hold-ups).
cyfermaster2010-05-17 06:00:03

Messenger: Actually I raced it pretty hard and finished 8th in the 20km. I will ride it again' date=' but some basics should still be there even if it is a new race.

[/quote']

is that the 28km 20km or the 16km 20km?

Just taking the mickey!Big%20smile

Good going.....  just so i can say 'I told you so' - you are going to get p1ssed-off plenty in the future.  Even some of the ceded races have congestion and hitches....

Cheers

Smaller races like the ones you did are usually less organised than the bigger races like Lion Man, Argus mtb, MTN series, Nissan series, etc.

The more people organise races the more they learn about avoiding congestion, properly marking the course, etc.

checkout www.mtbseries.co.za First race is in June. Should be pretty well orgainsed...

Yup, time for you to choose your races a little better. MTN/Miway series is great and the Lionman this weekend was superb. Same sort of organization and atmosphere you could expect at the 94.7 and Argus road races.

small races are frustrating, unless you just view them as busy training rides...

Firstly, the word is "disorganised".

Secondly, a lot of these races are organised by people who have never done it before and do it in their spare time. Give them a break and try and give them contructive criticism so that they can improve the next time they have it. They are going a long way to make safer rider options for a lot of us more accessible. I for one would not want to organise something because it is a thankless difficult job.

Good luck for your next race.Thumbs%20Up

Messenger: Actually I raced it pretty hard and finished 8th in the 20km. I will ride it again' date=' but some basics should still be there even if it is a new race.

[/quote']

I agree with ya Mike, 8km on a 20km ride is a hectic difference  for all kiddies or novices starting out.

Same story everywhere. Just like the amateur riders cannot compete with the pro's (some can, but lets leave it at a very select few), amateur event co-ordinators cannot compete with the pro event orginisers on planning and logistics. Even if they have the knowledge, they generally lack the rescources.

Think of the smaller races as church bazaars. You will not get the nutritional info on tannie santie's homemade rusks like you get it at woollies, but they sure as well taste damn nice!

Guest coenie

I agree, organiser should learn from "others" mistakes and stop making them also.

And what is it with hubbers alway shooting the messenger....