Morewood Zula vs Merida 96

GLuvsMtb

OK so its decision time.

I can get a Merida 96 Carbon 3000 for R35K. XT crank set, FOX 32 100RL, X0 gripshift

or I can get a Morewood Zula for R40K. Truvativ Stylo Crankset, RS Reba Team 120mm, XO gripshift.

I currently ride a merida FLX 3000 hard tail. Awesome bike, climbs like a rocket, but I need a bit of comfort for enduro and multi stage racing and enjoy technical riding. I am 1.8m and weigh about 90kg's. I am worried that the Merida carbon frame will not be able to support my weight and riding style.

I must admit that I am more than just a little in love with the Zula, but dropping R40K needs more than just an infactuation. It needs a bit of common sense.

Besides... I'll then have to change my username Wink

Your thoughts please.

I was faced with a similar dilema that you are faced with. I spoke to severall people and in the end I decided to steer clear of the carbon.

I too weigh between 88 & 90, and I had heard too many horror stories of cracked frames etc etc. I decided to therefore go with the zula, and can honestly say that I made the best decision.

The bike is really light, and for the few hundred grams of saved weight, is not worth a potential crack to the carbon.

The zula is a fantastic ride and you wont regret it

What are they charging you for a zulu frame? Maybe I can save you alittlebit.... PM me...

OK So far its Zula 2 - Merida 0 and rads seeing if he can do business. My heart say Zula and my head say Zula for the fun stuff ant Merida if I am going to race to win (which I am not). So Zula it is then. Now for that bonus that is coming my way end of June. Its going to be a looong month.

I got a Zula about three weeks ago, and I love it. The decision is simple, Zula!!!!

I have ridden both and my vote goes towards the Zula as well. The 96 is a great bike, but it rides harsh compared to the Zula and it is not so good in single track. Steering is sharp and a bit nervous, whereas the Zula doesn't mind technical terrain.

Zula is the more all round bike. First ride review by Bikeradar here:

https://www.bikehub.co.za/forum_posts.asp?TID=83455

I was probably at 90% Zula, 10% 96 2 days ago. Just needed confirmation about this. So Zula it is then... I can't wait to put that order in!

Does this mean you're going to have a look around at reserving a new user name?

You wont regret it.

The zula is king and its proudly south african

Does this mean you're going to have a look around at reserving a new user name?

Baby steps Decado - baby steps! I first have to see if I like riding the Zula Wink

Simple ... you need to change your username to MadAboutZula.

There is no other choice .. make the move - she is a dream to ride and tough as nails.

Did you know that the rear stays on the Zula are stiffer that the Shova - in store test and not very scientific, but it was shown to me by a very experienced and honest LBS owner

Hairy

I was probably at 90% Zula' date=' 10% 96 2 days ago. Just needed confirmation about this. So Zula it is then... I can't wait to put that order in![/quote']

If you want a good deal on a Zula as well as expert advice and quality build up by Adri contact Tess at Circle Cycles Fish Hoek 021 7826030.She rides a Zula as well as our son Chris.I am sure they will let you have a ride to try out.Its a fantastic bike.I speak as a SC Superlight owner Embarrassed

Thanks guys. I have decided where to get the Zula as well. Not going to publish shop names on here, but I consider a few things when buying a bike:

1. Past experiences with the particular shop.

2. The shop's know-how and experience on the product

3. Convenience for me to get there to have my baby serviced

4. Riding mates' experiences with the shop

5. Price of the bike.

For the record: I asked a few shops about the Zula (not mentioning that I intended on buying one, but asking questions in general)

1 shop didn't bother replying to my mail (ironically I've supported this shop for years and was excited when they decided to stock the brand),

2 tried to sell me a bike without asking me any questions on the bike.

1 asked me about my needs as a rider and why I am attracted to the Zula. We only later came to costing the bike. Naturally this is the shop I am buying from

OK so its decision time.

or I can get a Morewood Zula for R40K. Truvativ Stylo Crankset' date=' RS Reba Team 120mm, XO gripshift.

[/quote']

What's the rest of the spec of the bike? Seems a bit steep, if you buy a zula frame from rushsports, get a sram XX groupset from CWCycles and wheels and other bits and bobs from CRC, it's going to work out to about the same price but with much better components, than a Stylo crank..