Changed rotor, now brakes are soft

Mojoman

I did the same thing yesterday, new rotors.They started off fine then went faulty, the shop changed them for me, now the rear brakes(SLX front & rear) are soft(front are fine), I can pull the lever to the grips without stopping, then they started to shudder when I pulled on the levers, finally giving me no brakes at the rear. They worked 100% before with the old rotors(gone from shimano to alligators)

What could the issue be? Surely they should not need bleeding, the pads seem fine too. Should the LBS sort this out as they did the change over, but Im also curious to know why this would happen??? :unsure:

New Rotors need new Pads and the a period to bed in.

Old Pads with new Rotors will take longer than new/new to bed in, if at all.

Check your old rotors and you will see wear patterns, New rotors have no wear patterns and need to bed in with the pads.

I find the same thing every time I change pads, but this don't last long.

Tektro, Auriga Comps, they actually work OK (or did!!) but I thought an upgrade on the front rotor would be a good idea as I ride a lot of hills in the area and hoped for an increase in stopping power.

as far as I know these brakes get air in the system quite easily and a real bugger to get the air out best done by a bike mech I was at the LBS the other day and they were struggling with the same type of brakes.

Different disks will NOT make the brakes soft or hard. The disks and hydraulic system are totally separate and cannot influence each other.

I guess it comes down to a definition of soft. My definition of soft would be brake levers that travel furhter before making contact with the disk. I other words, it is travel and feel related without taking braking performance into consideration. Another definition could be brakes that don't perform as well as they used to and you have to pull harder on the lever to stop.

Define soft before we all jump to conclusions.

Different disks will NOT make the brakes soft or hard. The disks and hydraulic system are totally separate and cannot influence each other.

I guess it comes down to a definition of soft. My definition of soft would be brake levers that travel furhter before making contact with the disk. I other words, it is travel and feel related without taking braking performance into consideration. Another definition could be brakes that don't perform as well as they used to and you have to pull harder on the lever to stop.

Define soft before we all jump to conclusions.

Soft would be that Im pulling the lever all the way to the handlebars and very little braking is going on, like the pads are not making enough contact with the rotor, feels like a loss of pressure in the hoses. Yet when it slightly slowing me down , the contact is shuddering which I can feel reverberating through the frame. All I did was change the rotor though(well the bike shop did) I called them today and they say that Ive losed fluid in my hoses resulting in the lost pressure. I cant see any leaks, ruptured hose or any spillage either. One minute they were working the next not.:(

Perhaps if the lever was activated (knowingly or just bumped) while the bike/reservoir was upside down, some air could have been pushed into the hose resulting in soft brakes. Sounds like you'll have to rebleed the buggers, unless the tech-tip on the previous page works.

Perhaps if the lever was activated (knowingly or just bumped) while the bike/reservoir was upside down, some air could have been pushed into the hose resulting in soft brakes. Sounds like you'll have to rebleed the buggers, unless the tech-tip on the previous page works.

Then the LBS mechanics need to be castrated - They assured me they couldnt have done anything wrong. Still weird though.

Yet when it slightly slowing me down , the contact is shuddering which I can feel reverberating through the frame.

Responding only to your point about reverberation (not softness/lever travel/bite point), do the new rotors happen to be Alligator windcutters? If so, because of their little surface area and weird pattern, you'll definitely notice a bit of what's usually called "pulsing". As the pad moves over the rotor, with the windcutter pattern it alternates between full and partial surface area contact, which causes the vibration you're feeling. I have these rotors and although it feels weird at first, it's nothing to worry about. Think of it as having unintended ABS!

Responding only to your point about reverberation (not softness/lever travel/bite point), do the new rotors happen to be Alligator windcutters? If so, because of their little surface area and weird pattern, you'll definitely notice a bit of what's usually called "pulsing". As the pad moves over the rotor, with the windcutter pattern it alternates between full and partial surface area contact, which causes the vibration you're feeling. I have these rotors and although it feels weird at first, it's nothing to worry about. Think of it as having unintended ABS!

They would be the windcutters, I was thinking that as well. Im also thinking brake pads will need to be changed as the point of contact between the two rotor makes is quite different(pads to rotor):unsure:

Soft would be that Im pulling the lever all the way to the handlebars and very little braking is going on, like the pads are not making enough contact with the rotor, feels like a loss of pressure in the hoses. Yet when it slightly slowing me down , the contact is shuddering which I can feel reverberating through the frame. All I did was change the rotor though(well the bike shop did) I called them today and they say that Ive losed fluid in my hoses resulting in the lost pressure. I cant see any leaks, ruptured hose or any spillage either. One minute they were working the next not.:(

OK, that is soft. You'll find that if you pump the lever, it will pump up and become hard. That means there is air in the system.

I cannot phathom how air got into the system when the disks were changed. Someone did something silly.

OK, that is soft. You'll find that if you pump the lever, it will pump up and become hard. That means there is air in the system.

I cannot phathom how air got into the system when the disks were changed. Someone did something silly.

Thats what Im thinking, silly silly LBS :o Thanks for the info - Quick question - Are the Swisstop disc pads worth the money? Should I be changing the pads when I get new rotors -