full suspension geometry

cheveley

i have noticed that the mechanics of many full suspension mtb's is quite different. particularly with how the rear shock is positioned. trek & merida have placed the rear shock vertically while the likes of giant (anthem) and gary fisher (hi-fi) have placed the shock in a more horizontal position.

intuitively, i would say it would be better to have it horizontally place.

anyone have any thoughts?
cheveley2007-07-27 02:30:35

• Replies 48
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

It all depends on the design of the frame and linkages . But I am sure they all do more or less the same , make you bounce around , unless ofcause it is a single pivot design ! smiley36.gif

Most of the time, it's much of a muchness and you will need to ride a few designs to see what suits you. Some designs use a single pivot design. This means that as the rear triangle moves, it directly compresses the rear shock. The main benefit of this is simplicity. (I stand to be corrected?)

Some use a single pivot with remotely activated shock. The benefits of this are less pedal bob (i.e. you want the rear triangle t move when the bike passes over a bump, not when you apply pressure downward on the pedals.

The other designs are usually multi-pivot, and usually try and improve the activation of the shock. The ideal is a shock that doesn't lose power on uphills, handles small bumps smoothly, but can still soak up the huge knocks.

At the end of the day, try out a couple of bikes, find one you like, learn about it's rear suspension design, and MOST IMPORTANTLY learn how to argue that your design is far superior to everything else in the market!

This does become tricky when your expensive Santa Cruz shares a design with the value for money Raleigh, but you will have to find your own arguments for that Wink

This does become tricky when your expensive Santa Cruz shares a design with the value for money Raleigh' date=' but you will have to find your own arguments for that Wink
[/quote']

hahaha

reminds me of the saying "Forgive her for she knows not what she says"

Well said MichH! Clap

In a nutshell, that is all you ever need to know.

That, plus... the fact that despite the nutshell already having been said - won't prevent this thread from hitting 10 pages when the advocates of pure-design-genius contained in their various preferred full suspension geometry spot this topic, and start the always appreciated "free  for all", that is inherently incapable of changing anyone else's mind, viewpoint or certainty that theirs (and only theirs) is the best. Big%20smile

Good fun guaranteed.

Mmmmm ok so less pedal bob can be find on the multi-link suspensions ? Who have you been talking to MichH , Bennie again ??!!! Anyway I have always said why over complicate anything if a simple solution will work and in most instances works better , like with the single pivot designs . But something else really tickles me . I went to a stockist of your new bike the other day as I am very interested to find out how their single pivot design works . But I could not find it ? So the salesman said to me it emulates a single pivot design !!! Did I hear him right ?

Mmmmm ok so less pedal bob can be find on the multi-link suspensions ? Who have you been talking to MichH ' date=' Bennie again ??!!! [/quote']

At least the MTB'rs have a good sense of humour, this may run to 10 pages but we'll all still have a good laugh at the next get together and not care what anyone else is riding and 'bob along' in DR and others case or be riding along quite elegantly (can someone called Bigben do that?) on our non bob designs! Guess what we will still suffer at our own levels and enjoy what we do!

Epic with brain for ever Thumbs%20Up

smiley32.gif Like Ben said we do our "hard" talking on the bikes , not on the Hub   smiley4.gif And I will now leave you with these final words :

Raleigh Single Pivot Rules !

LOLClap

BigBen, Dirt-rider - too right!

Mtb's do have a good sense of humour! It's what makes theHub so special - unlike plenty of other blogs out there!!

And lively debates like this are essential.

There will come a time, in the near future - where I too will be getting a full-susser - and you can bet your bottom dollar that once I have made my choice, and bought the bike - I will be wading in to topics like this, all gun's blazing!!

With a grin on my face - of course!

Here's another bike that shares a design with another manufacturer (The one that Dirt-Rider was told "emulates a single pivot design").

20070727_033258_bike.jpg

Mandibles - enlighten us - that be a ????.....

Thug - the new DB Mission?

Can it be?...
RodTi2007-07-27 03:44:48

Thumbs%20Up RodTi - just make sure it's a Specialized and not one of these other many copied designs Wink

If you want real 'objective' advice re the differences and why the Epic is so much more technically advanced lets rather discuss in PM away from these other naysayers (read I don't really know why but I like it!).