So I got mugged today...

Weight Weenie

Had to go to the Pta CBD to take pics of the ABSA building for his work, cause he was pissed off at me and as I am on holiday he decided I was not allowed to sleep in and must go do this. 

So after driving in circles for a while with all the one-ways trying to get parking the 'friendly car guard' show me a spot and I park, put gps in cubby(difficult navigating there if you dont know the area), take camera and go take the photos.   

Get back to car and start getting in, dude comes over so I want to give him some change for his effort but he calls a buddy.  They basically stand in my door so I can't close it and no-one can see what's going on. 

Thus his buddy pulls a knife and demands I hand over cell phone, camera and gps. I do this but luckily in the action of putting my hands up I dropped my wallet so they didnt take that, I would really have been pissed If i had to go cancell my cards and get a new drivers liscence etc. 

So to my dad a big thanks, cut your nose to spite your face ! Thumbs%20Down 

Yes lets all enjoy the SWC, put the police at the stadiums, the local setlers can fend for themselves or something in that order...

Dude - its Pta - Trust no one!!!

Before you get into your car - take a 360 look, get in and lock your doors, then start the engine, then pay the car guard if you deem it needed.

Glad you got out OK.

Heads up mate!

Dude, sorry to sound insensitive, but what were you expecting? You broke all the basic rules of SA city living.

1. Never park and then put away your GPS

2. Never open your door until you have sorted the guys out (ie paid the car protection racketeer his R2)

3. Never leave your door open longer than you need to get in

4. Never show these guys that you are carrying valuables of any sort

5. Camera = tourist = easy target with lots of expensive stuff - keep the camera in the bag until you are well clear of your car

This should be Big City 101 for all Saffers...

At least you weren't hurt. At least it wasn't your car ... or your bike. At least your insurance is paid up? I guess you're going to have to take those photos again, so be better prepared with a buddy or two in the car, and maybe you'll find the same guy in the same place, ready for a little corrective cosmetic surgery.

This is how these "what to do" debates start.

I'm glad you weren't hurt / stabbed, but this seems like such a cliche today. We get robbed / mugged / or whateverand all we can say is thank goodness, we weren't hurt.

Crime should not be happening so frequently and so blatantly but unfortunately, it is.

Just what can be done, I have no simple answer, but as long as the police services and the criminal justice system remains such a jjoke, crime will continue to happen.

Getting back to the topic at hand, all that for nothing because the photos you went to get are now on the camera that was stolen.

Ironic. 

Ai dude, sorry to here that.

I try and avoid PTA CBD as much as I can. I avoid "car gaurds" as far as possible. Net omdat van daai manne nie 'n "car gaurd" se gat werd is nie!

When I get close to where I should be and am about to park, I pack the GPS away. I also switch off my phone so that I won't get distracted by stupid phone calls.

Oh, and I try to look mean and pissed off...That helps too...

Dude' date=' sorry to sound insensitive, but what were you expecting? You broke all the basic rules of SA city living.

1. Never park and then put away your GPS

2. Never open your door until you have sorted the guys out (ie paid the car protection racketeer his R2)

3. Never leave your door open longer than you need to get in

4. Never show these guys that you are carrying valuables of any sort

5. Camera = tourist = easy target with lots of expensive stuff - keep the camera in the bag until you are well clear of your car

This should be Big City 101 for all Saffers...

[/quote']

Sad but True. CryWink

Hard lines buddy. Exactly why I ignore the car gaurds and never give them anything.

Was mugged in Stellies in '97 on the way back to res from Tollies. Dudes took my wallet and burger. Amatuers if you ask me - you dont steal a student's wallet at the end of an evening :)