**** 5 x MTB Stolen near IRENE / Cornwall Hill, Centurion ***** R10,000 Reward ****

" In addition, with the assistance of the Lyttleton Police user:BMC has posted a 10k reward with the locals in the area for the successful recovery of the bicycles, with information as to where & how the bikes were retrieved.

BMC has now extend this same reward to all hubbers, cyclists, infact everyone.

Contact details via 10kReward@gmail.com

Urgent message to all readers cycling in Pinedene/Cornwall Hill area! [GPS +/- 25 54'27.76"S 28 14'28.66"E]

5 MTB bikes stolen on the 19/06/2010 Saturday between 9h30am - 10h00am

6 Black males - 1 with firearm and the rest with panga's and knob kerries.

1 x Specialized Carbon Stunt Jumper [serial STA37L0289]

1 x Specialized Stunt Jumper

1 x Giant Anthem X limited [Medium Frame] [Time Attack clips]

1 x Trek Series 4

1 x Merida 400 TFS [black and green] 22 inch frame. [Wired computer, wider grips, DT front rim with standard pedals, black in colour otherwise standard]

GPS equipment, Camel Backpacks, cellphones where stolen.

See pictures attached. More specific details to follow.

Contact me via mail or Lyttelton Police station case number 535/19/2010.

This took place 1 km from Irene Shooting range and about 3 km's from the L & B Informal Settlement.

post-15881-018436500 1277058181_thumb.jpg

post-15881-079483700 1277058300_thumb.gif

post-15881-016883100 1277193882.jpg

post-15881-054344700 1277193891.jpg

Looks like the problem around Northern Farm area has moved to Irene/Midrand area!!!

Still a HUGE problem in JHB!

How do we catch these people?

Looks like the problem around Northern Farm area has moved to Irene/Midrand area!!!

Still a HUGE problem in JHB!

How do we catch these people?

Satellite tracking for one will help, but the community need to work together. They need to report any information that would assist with the capture of the criminals involved with any criminal activities.

The Police did assist greatly with the search, members of the Lyttleton and Olifantsfontein Police Station did a search of the local informal settlement and within a radius of the location where the crime took place.

Peolpe need to be aware and not cycle in small groups, when they have guns this cannot help in some cases.

The community need to work together, and assist in anyway as the cops cannot be everywhere. Satellite Tracking for bikes need to be used

When will such a gps be available for bikes???

Yes that is true, with the problem of powering the device one has to do some homework ,developing it.

Hi

If you can supply me with all details and photos of the bikes [include Serial numbers if possible] we will post the stolen bikes on the Bicycle Registry website [www.nbrza.co.za] ... mail address mail@nbrza.co.za

William.

Urgent message to all readers cycling in Pinedene/Cornwall Hill area! [GPS +/- 25 54'27.76"S 28 14'28.66"E]

5 MTB bikes stolen on the 19/06/2010 Saturday between 9h30am - 10h00am

6 Black males - 1 with firearm and the rest with panga's and knob kerries.

1 x Specialized Carbon Stunt Jumper

1 x Specialized Stunt Jumper

1 x Giant Athem X limited [Medium Frame] [Time Attack clips]

1 x Trek Series 4

1 x Merida 400 TFS [black and green] 22 inch frame. [Wired computer, wider grips, DT front rim with standard pedals, black in colour otherwise standard]

GPS equipment, Camel Backpacks, cellphones where stolen.

See pictures attached. More specific details to follow.

Contact me via mail or Lyttelton Police station case number 535/19/2010.

This took place 1 km from Irene Shooting range and about 3 km's from the L & B Informal Settlement.

Hi Guys,

As a fed up cyclist, I have been in contact with some of the tracking companies in South Africa, and the response that I have been getting seems promising. A couple of companies are working on a tracking device, they only need to get the battery pack small enough to be practical enough to use.

HOWEVER, apart from the subjective feedback that cyclists are giving, there are no real data available about where and when these crimes are taking place. A response from one of the companies was that they would like to create safe zones for cyclists, but they need input about where the crime is taking place.

I'd like to start an initiative where cyclists that have been targeted can plot the location on a map, including some information about the crime, for example time, nature and description of the bikes that were stolen.

If we can generate the data about crime, and provide data to the relevant policing or security authorities, we might be able to have a safer ride.

I need some input from you guys to see whether you think the initiative will work. I am bust setting up a website with a mapping tool, will cyclists make the effort to map the location that they were targeted at??

How many of the hubbers will make the effort?

Hi Guys,

As a fed up cyclist, I have been in contact with some of the tracking companies in South Africa, and the response that I have been getting seems promising. A couple of companies are working on a tracking device, they only need to get the battery pack small enough to be practical enough to use.

HOWEVER, apart from the subjective feedback that cyclists are giving, there are no real data available about where and when these crimes are taking place. A response from one of the companies was that they would like to create safe zones for cyclists, but they need input about where the crime is taking place.

I'd like to start an initiative where cyclists that have been targeted can plot the location on a map, including some information about the crime, for example time, nature and description of the bikes that were stolen.

If we can generate the data about crime, and provide data to the relevant policing or security authorities, we might be able to have a safer ride.

I need some input from you guys to see whether you think the initiative will work. I am bust setting up a website with a mapping tool, will cyclists make the effort to map the location that they were targeted at??

How many of the hubbers will make the effort?

Hi j.immelman

Sometimes people carry on with their lives too quickly. I trust if we get the ball moving and make people realize that the only way is to stand together and implement these tools and facilities it will make a safer ride for all of us.

One just has to make the effort, and trust that the masses follow.

@00000008 in the meantime add the GPS co-ords to the following forum thread: thehubsa.co.za > General > Cycling Safety > Pretoria Danger areas

Or do we need a new one for Centurian / Irene

We can start to gather GPS co-ords for the mapping tool above by putting data here

Hi guys

Please see www.nbrza.co.za ... our goal is to make stolen bikes difficult to sell .. by so doing we might well take the incentive out of organized bike theft [which is on the increase]. We will soon post a link to cycle crime stats [including accidents involving cyclists] ... we have been in contact with high level SAPS and Customs officials [many stolen bikes cross our borders] to start posting stolen AND recovered bikes on the site ... we have approached a number of classified add bike sites, at least one has promised to start requesting serial numbers to be listed on adverts so these can be checked against the stolen bike list ... its a slow process [we started a few months ago only] ... as the word gets around that stolen bikes can and will be identified [in time] I'm sure we will see a reduction in organized bike theft.

We have looked at tracking devices and RFID tags ... problems lie in expense and equipment needed to read the tags ... ultimately we back to visual serial number ID ... i.e. accessible to all ... a process successfully applied in many countries around the world.

We have suggested to 'the powers that be' that as a country we start looking at safe recreational and commute bike areas and lanes ... available resources the age old excuse ... once the Registry reaches critical mass by numbers we can apply more pressure and even contribute to safe areas.

Only thing remaining to makie this initiative a success is individual cyclist support.

@00000008 in the meantime add the GPS co-ords to the following forum thread: thehubsa.co.za > General > Cycling Safety > Pretoria Danger areas

Or do we need a new one for Centurian / Irene

We can start to gather GPS co-ords for the mapping tool above by putting data here

I popped a Google Earth pic of the location here :

Hijack Site

Firstly the Police need to commended on their effort, we had close on a hundred police men & woman respond & sweep the area - thank you.

In addition, with the assistance of the Lyttleton Police I have posted a 10k reward with the locals in the area for the successful recovery of the bicycles, with information as to where & how the bikes were retrieved.

I now extend this same reward to all hubbers; cyclists infact everyone.

Contact details via 10kReward@gmail.com