**** 5 x MTB Stolen near IRENE / Cornwall Hill, Centurion ***** R10,000 Reward ****

• 4 weeks later...

Missed this one.

This is obviously not the first incident, but this is the one thats boggling me.

Where the hell do the bikes go?

I recently watched some investigative program about poaching and the pursuit of some overweight kingpin living on a farm somewhere who was known for the trade of horn and tusk.

Is there some-one, who these guys go to, to get a pretty penny for their pickings?

Or do they really only get a couple of hundred per bike in a stupid trade inside a township?

What is their thinking?

Do they know the value of the bikes? Do they prime themselves, as they see you coming from a distance and think that this is a heist of approx R100K worth of bikes? For which we will get value "X"? Is it like a train robbery or bank job of old?

Are the bikes really part of the main objective or are they after phones and wallets?

Was it an "initiation" type dare? OR have the police started to notice a pattern of hijacking by what could be the same syndicate?

Bloody hell. It really is the Wild West. Its like having Injuns ambush you and scalping you.

ffs

<rant off>

Sorry if I missed something

• 3 weeks later...

Hi

Been checking out the various stolen bike threads.

We do all need to make an effort and keep on the lookout for suspect bike deals and okes riding

high end bikes. I see there is dude called Yang in Mozambique on the forum that has picked up a Maverick which

are quite rare bikes as well. I also saw there is a registry in this thread.

We all need to make an effort.

The bikes must be bought by someone and either chopshopped or sold as is to some middle men.

I guess we all need to be on the lookout at Places like Gumtree etc. as well as cash crusaders

and any other possible places and if you see something to good to be true take a pic on your cellphone

and try get serial number and then post it.

Yang has had some success getting 3 bikes back to their owners it seems. Pity he is only in one location.

I have heard before that you see okes in Moz riding cool bikes. When you ask them

where they got it they say it was gift from there employer etc. This is just what I have heard.

I think the bottom line is as there are more cyclists beginning to take up the sport

there are more targets and criminals see us as easy targets. i don't believe they are just after cellphones etc.

I think some of them do know of the value of some bikes

Pity we can't ride around with bullet proof vests and AK's in your hydration packs.

Have you had any luck with info to recover the bikes?

I will keep a lookout as much as possible.

Hi

Been checking out the various stolen bike threads.

We do all need to make an effort and keep on the lookout for suspect bike deals and okes riding

high end bikes. I see there is dude called Yang in Mozambique on the forum that has picked up a Maverick which

are quite rare bikes as well. I also saw there is a registry in this thread.

We all need to make an effort.

The bikes must be bought by someone and either chopshopped or sold as is to some middle men.

I guess we all need to be on the lookout at Places like Gumtree etc. as well as cash crusaders

and any other possible places and if you see something to good to be true take a pic on your cellphone

and try get serial number and then post it.

Yang has had some success getting 3 bikes back to their owners it seems. Pity he is only in one location.

I have heard before that you see okes in Moz riding cool bikes. When you ask them

where they got it they say it was gift from there employer etc. This is just what I have heard.

I think the bottom line is as there are more cyclists beginning to take up the sport

there are more targets and criminals see us as easy targets. i don't believe they are just after cellphones etc.

I think some of them do know of the value of some bikes

Pity we can't ride around with bullet proof vests and AK's in your hydration packs.

Have you had any luck with info to recover the bikes?

I will keep a lookout as much as possible.

Dominate, you say lookout what you buy in Gumtree...I think we should also watch what we buy on the HUB!

Hopefully with the people like Yang etc, we can try stop this from happening.

It should be same as cars now what with the price of bikes and the amount of bikes that are getting stole - The bikes come with logbooks of somesorts and can only be sold with it. We have to stop this somehow?

It should be same as cars now what with the price of bikes and the amount of bikes that are getting stole - The bikes come with logbooks of somesorts and can only be sold with it. We have to stop this somehow?

And when you buy the bike it comes with a std built in tracking device...

With the possible tracking device - How big would the thing be, where would it go on the bike, it would need to be well fixed so cannot be removed(there would be few places that u could hide it), and of course what about battery life? Sooner or later these twats will realise that bikes have these, same as they have realised how much they are worth now :unsure: