MTB Chain life

mountain_lion

Hendrik writes: "My dear mr Bornman ...... "Daan Desimaal" came to our country in 1961. Nobody may sell Imperial measuring equipment any more. "

Johan: That's true only for our monetary system. Daan Desimaal ousted pounds shillings and pennies. Feet and inches were ousted in 1970 (?) and by then Daan Desimaal was forgotten.

Hendrik says: "

You can also read in my post .... if you did read it properly, that I said it may damage your chainring. I am fully aware that chainring wear different to a driven gear. I studied this in Mechanics II.

Johan: If you had said "Will NOT damage your chainring, I would not have corrected you. There are no ifs and buts about this, it won't. And I'm not talking about a chain that's elongated to 5% or rusted and jammed out of its bracket.

I do stand corrected to someone who pointed out my vernier units. It is indeed 0,2mm, not 0,5 as I indicated.

I have just bought a Park Tool chain measure. You can use it to very quickly check if your chain is worn' date=' and should be able to replace chain before it damages the cluster. Unfortunately mine was already at 1% 'stretch' (yes I know it's not really stretched all you smart mouths!), so I'm changing mine. But it was 8 months old and I'm guessing I did close to 2000km on it?[/quote']

MichH, I also have one of those Park tools and my last chain JUST stretched enough for  the0.75 gauge to fit and I replaced the chain immediately, but the cassette was also shot!  I find the tool works pretty well with my road bike, but for mtb, I think the gauge is pretty much useless.

Just my 2 cents...

Willehond why would you say this...... Mtb and Road uses the same chains. All bicycle chain links are 1" in length, wether it is Shimano, SRAM, ConneX Wipperman, KMC, kempekkernoglia, Taya or YBN chain. Only the chain width differs for different groupsets (6,7,8, 9 or 10 speed)

Hendrik writes: "My dear mr Bornman ...... "Daan Desimaal" came to our country in 1961. Nobody may sell Imperial measuring equipment any more. "

Johan: That's true only for our monetary system. Daan Desimaal ousted pounds shillings and pennies. Feet and inches were ousted in 1970 (?) and by then Daan Desimaal was forgotten.

You are dead right..... with oncoming old age and Altzheimers Lite I became slightly confused. We were the first group of Matrics to write a metric matric in 1971. Our Metalwork Technical Drawing paper was in Metric units. My first project (Sybrand van Niekerk, R59 - Kliprivier to Alberante) was an Imperial project in 1975. That was also the last Imperial I did. Everything after that was metric...... thank goodness for that!!!!!!!

It must be my very effective riding style but I have never had to replace a chain because only the chain is worn !!! Your chain is just one piece in the whole drivetrain and although it maybe true that certain part wear quicker than others I have found it good pratice to replace chain , front blades and rear at the same time . How does a worn chain behave ? irratic shifting , chain suck ???? It just makes no sense to me to replace your chain and leave the other goodies as is smiley5.gif These chain measuring tools sounds like that little tyre pressure gadget we go with one of our magazines a while back , nice to look at but totally useless .

Well all I can say is that when I rode the chain to 1% and replaced it, it almost allways skipped and jumped on the casette as well as getting serious chainsuck.

Now that I rotate the chains my life is much simpler and cheaper. 5 x chains and then 1 x casette and chainwheels, not sure if I will have to change the casette and blades just yet.

Vs.

2 x chains and 1 x casette and chailwheels.

My math says option 1.

It must be my very effective riding style but I have never had to replace a chain because only the chain is worn !!! Your chain is just one piece in the whole drivetrain and although it maybe true that certain part wear quicker than others I have found it good pratice to replace chain ' date=' front blades and rear at the same time . How does a worn chain behave ? irratic shifting , chain suck ???? It just makes no sense to me to replace your chain and leave the other goodies as is  QUOTE']

You are wasting money if you replace the entire drive-train each time. One cassette is is good enough (give or take a few) for about five cassettes and one chainring set is good enough for many many chains.

A worn chain (up to 2%) behaves like a new chain. There is no difference in shifting until the chain becomes so flexible sideways that it won't shift onto the next sprocket. But then it is really worn. After 1% wear it starts to eat up the rear sprockets at an accellerated pace and that's why we keep wear in check up to 1%.

You are wasting money if you replace the entire drive-train each time. One cassette is is good enough (give or take a few) for about five cassettes and one chainring set is good enough for many many chains.

A worn chain (up to 2%) behaves like a new chain. There is no difference in shifting until the chain becomes so flexible sideways that it won't shift onto the next sprocket. But then it is really worn. After 1% wear it starts to eat up the rear sprockets at an accellerated pace and that's why we keep wear in check up to 1%.

?????????????????cassette or chain????????

well i read all this and i will share my experience whether it is asked for or not :)

before the knysna race i decided to take my bike for a service and being a trusting person i left it in the hands of the people that should know

being fairly new to cycling i wasn't going to demand things that i THOUGHT needed to be changed (although the cassette looked to me as if it needed replacement - i seemed to have been right thanx to an article i read)

i had a whole lot of components to be changed as well

the chain was changed but cassette stayed, for whatever reason

so sorry to argue with you over this Johan, but the frustration of having 4 gears at a lap race due to the cassette being old and the chain new seems hardly worth the R270 or whatever i paid for a new cassette

so although it seems all nice and cheaper to have a few chains to a cassette i will not ever change the one without the other....

learning along the way i suppose.......
bored girl2007-08-07 03:10:03