Advise on tyres

Faiyad

hi

in the last 6 months, i have gone through 3 rear tyres due to damage from punctures. i am not too sure if its the current brand of tire that i am using which is too soft of a compound (michelin) or if i just have all the luck finding the glass and other stuff that have been messing up my rear tyres.

is there a tyre out there that is strong, can be used for training and racing, and will also give you mileage? also, not too sure if my weight has anything to do with the extent of the damage when picking up all these punctures as i weigh around 85kg's.

hey, im just looking for some advise hubbers!

btw - this is for road bike tyres.

I never had any flats running Maxxis Detonators.

Currently running Maxxis Xenith Hors Categories. Got them on my 2nd hand Marida which had 1700km on the Cat-eye. I've put on a further 600km or so and they haven't had any incidents either... I run at 7 BAR and weigh 80.5kg.

My girlfriend runs Conti GP4000 tyres and I inflate them to about 6.5bar and she also never had any issues... But then again, she doesn't exactly rack up the kms... She's maybe done 400km this year so far...

This made me think now... How do you know if it's time to replace slicks like the Xenith??? It's not like you can see how much tread is left cause there never was any to begin with...

Two words: Continental Gatorskins

You will never look back!!

when you are lucky you are lucky. No tyre is immune to punctures. I did not have any luck with my Gatorskins. Quickly replaced them with Detonators and when they eventually were done after 9000km I replaced them with Conti GP4000S. I have been lucky with them but the rear is almost completely square after about 5000km.

I've been checking tyres on Roadbikereview. It seems the Serfas Seca gets more thumbs up for puncture ... um, proofness, & smooth ride than Gaitorskins. They're also about half the price. That said, I've only just got my Serfas and haven't tried Gaitorskins. Don't go for Conti Ultra Race or Sport, can't go for more than 15k's without getting out the tyre levers.

I know other guys that won't ride Michelin anymore also due to continuous punctures. Think they with Lithiums?

I use to ride Gatorskins, been riding GP4000 since they were released (and they have Tread Wear Indicators). (110-120psi MAX basically). I've also done Force & Attack, just too pricey to maintain, the rear wears quicker than the front and they diff thickness and treat pattern.

I rode Maxxis Detonators once, i found them a bit more slippery, not sure if it's a slightly harder compound?

Think i'll stick to Conti on my bicycle, ride Michelin on my Superbike :D

thanks for all the feedback thus far.

obviously i've been looking at the cycling stores and 2 of them had recommended vittoria techII. i know they are trying to market there products but can anyone help with this brand?

thanks again Hubbers!

With punctures you're taking the luck of the draw. Punctures are a function of wet or dry (stuff penetrate wet tyres easier) and the thickness of the rubber on the tyre. No other magic material makes a difference. There is just not enough space to put anything in there that can prevent penetration of a sharp object. A nice thick layer of vinyl (aka tyre liners) does the trick but that is because it is a tough 1mm thick layer of material that increases rolling resistance many-fold. They cannot build that into a reasonable tyre and expect customers to like it.

You also get more punctures on Mondays than on Fridays. This is thanks to drinking patterns and instructions on South African beer bottles that read: When finished, toss the bottle into the road.

Two words: Continental Gatorskins

You will never look back!!

4 words:

Inner Tubes with OKO

After more than a year (and 3000km on tar/gravel/mountains), not a puncture. And I weigh 92kg.