No Tubes ZTR Crest Rims

VincentBikes

oh sorry for hijack this thread ... never wanted to do ...

it's a Lynskey titanium Pro 29er Lefty BB30 frame with sliding dropouts

has a 1 x 10 setup with 36T oval ring from Rotor Spain and XX 11-36T with a gripshift modified X.0 with new internals to pull a XX rear derailleur

8460 g as shown , to be lowered a bit ( only 40-50 g or so on ) with some changes in the next weeks

my Crest 29er have only 1 ride, last saturday , sunday installed carbon tubolar set .

very good , with Barro Race not very grippy tires but low pressure and 29" size helps ...

• Replies 48
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Very interested in the XO twist modification to 10 speed. Please elaborate!!

see it and ask to him a message

from germany , name is Sven

princo500@hotmail.com

Thefore ERD is critical. Most spokes only have 10mm of thread so misrepresenting your ERD or presenting it in some proprietary fashion is sacrilege.

Therefore, it is important to present your ERD in an industry-standard way. Mavic and NoTubes don't. Pity, we therefore have to measure each one of these rims before calculating spoke length. This means you need the rim in your hands before you can order spokes. A pain in the spoke hole, it is.

Thanks for the headz up Johan - I do indeed have a pair of Notubes Crest 26" in my hands now, but no spokes & nipples to measure as per techniques that are mentioned. If I measure the internal diameter, how much should I add to make up thickness of the rim and up to the top of the spoke? Looking at using 14mm brass nipples (& DT Swiss Revolution Stainless DB Spokes from CRC)

Thanks again.

Thanks for the headz up Johan - I do indeed have a pair of Notubes Crest 26" in my hands now, but no spokes & nipples to measure as per techniques that are mentioned. If I measure the internal diameter, how much should I add to make up thickness of the rim and up to the top of the spoke? Looking at using 14mm brass nipples (& DT Swiss Revolution Stainless DB Spokes from CRC)

Thanks again.

First things first. The length of the nipple is totally irrelevant to the spoke length. You cannot compensate for too-short spokes with different nipples. There is a small anomaly with Americal Classic patented nipples, but this is not valid here.

If you don't have a set of rim measuring rods, use this technique

Put a nipple nipple in the rim and hold it in place as if a spoke is pulling on it.

Using a vernier, measure the depth of its head below the rim's outer diameter. Subtract that that distance twice from the OD and you will have the ERD.

Thanks J - but as I said I don't have the spokes or nipples as yet: its a paradoxical situation, so I will have to guesstimate.

Thanks J - but as I said I don't have the spokes or nipples as yet: its a paradoxical situation, so I will have to guesstimate.

NoTubes lists it at 540. However, I don't trust their guestimates.

I have built with them before and on my database I didn't flag the 540 measurement so that is as good a guestimate as it will get.

They are as scarce as hens teeth. I have the ZTR 355 and have the white Crests on back order from CRC (29") to build up a new lighweight wheelset with the new XTR race hubs. Ask Tarmac-SLR he has a set of 29ers

We have just recieved a shipment of 29er Stan's Rims with full backing form the local suppliers if anyone is still in need of :

1. 355 29er black rims

2. Flow 29er black rims

3. Arch 29er black rims

4. Crest 29er black rims

You can mail me directly on: kevin@buycycle.co.za

i'v just got a Giant XTC1 29er.... I'v never smiled on a bike like this bike makes me,, truely awesome, BUT... from the outset i upgraded the bike to full XT, and put on KCNC seatpost and bars.. this dropped it to 11,4kg....

The wheels are heavy, solid and stiff as hell.... and now a race set of wheels is due!! i'm looking at building hopes with ZTR rims, but am worried that the awesome ride that this bike has is partly due to the solid stiff wheels, and the light ZTR rims wont have this??? Am i right or wrong?

THe stock wheelset alone weighs over 2,2kg!!

We have just landed our shipment of ZTR Crest 29er rims. These are the same rims that won the 2010 BC Bike Race and Trans Alps! Not bad for one of the lightest production 29er rims on the market! Our batch currently runs at around 370g/rim.

Your LBS can contact his nearest TWT representative to order rims. We also landed ZTR Alpine, Crest and Podium MMX rims in 26", Black, all 32h.

What is the difference between Crest and 355 rims?

I weigh 100kg and ride a full suspension and ride normal cross country.

Which rim would be better for me?

i'v just got a Giant XTC1 29er.... I'v never smiled on a bike like this bike makes me,, truely awesome, BUT... from the outset i upgraded the bike to full XT, and put on KCNC seatpost and bars.. this dropped it to 11,4kg....

The wheels are heavy, solid and stiff as hell.... and now a race set of wheels is due!! i'm looking at building hopes with ZTR rims, but am worried that the awesome ride that this bike has is partly due to the solid stiff wheels, and the light ZTR rims wont have this??? Am i right or wrong?

put them on. you wont be sorry. and you will look back at this post and say...what the hell was I thinking.

What is the difference between Crest and 355 rims?

I weigh 100kg and ride a full suspension and ride normal cross country.

Which rim would be better for me?

The Crest is the lightest and therefore weakest. Or put more optimistically, the 355 is stronger.

In the rim game, weight translates directly to strength.

NoTubes says the Crest is a race rim and the 355 a cross country rim. Racing vs training, I suppose.

As a comparison, a Crest 29er weighs 380 gams and a 355, 405 grams.

Finally, the 355 is available in a rim brake model too.

Horses for courses.

It is impossible to detect wheel stiffness on a disk brake wheel. Wheel flex is not something we can feel or see when riding. Rim brakes are the exception since flex would make the pads touch.

A wheel that is strong enough to carry your weight is generally stiff enough to do what it has to do - again, rim brakes are the exception.

So don't worry about feel, you'll feel nothing different.

and difference between Crest and Alpine rim...?

I have Rocky Mountain Element Team bike and don't know if I should take the white Crest or Alpine rim with the Hope Pro II hubs...

Crest or Alpine...?

and difference between Crest and Alpine rim...?

I have Rocky Mountain Element Team bike and don't know if I should take the white Crest or Alpine rim with the Hope Pro II hubs...

Crest or Alpine...?

In order of light to heavy or weak to strong.

Alpine, Crest. Olumpic, 355, Arch, Flow.

White is powder coated and at least 20 grams heavier than anodised. Seen differently, powder coating does not interfere with the metal like anodising and is more durable wrt rim life, not coating durability.