How do I get from Obs to Milnerton (and back)?

LeTurbo

I've been wondering how to get from the Southern 'burbs to the Northern ones, and back.

Am I right that there's no way across the N1? If you commute, do you have to travel on the highway? (I read Frail's letter in "Ride" about being dragged along behind a trailer - horrible!)Or do you go through the harbour? (Aren't the security guards there a bit difficult?)

I ride a road bike - mentioning this because, though the cycle paths are coming on quite well through Paarden Island, they seem to be more MTB territory right now.

All advice appreciated!

I've always rode along Koeberg road towards town, then as you get to the interchange which leads onto the M5, keep left and go into Maitland, then turn right onto Voortrekker road and you get to the circle in Woodstuck. From there its not far to Observatory. To return to Koeberg road you follow the same roads back.

Thanks Niklasvm. It sounds practical - though isn't that the *** intersection where the left lane is trying to cross right and the right lane's trying to cross left? anyway, I'll check it out on Google Earth or in my map book.

Gongmech: point taken and you're right, but we have to do what we have to do and take a calculated risk. If there's a cycle track, it has to lead somewhere. If there's no highway sign - I haven't checked yet - it's not a highway.

Gongmech - From the Koeberg interchange all the way into Cape Town the N1 is no longer a freeway and is a 80km/h zone and cyclist are allowed on this stretch of road.

The 2nd way but does require a short stretch of legal N1 is to use the harbour bridge which has less congestion

Gongmech - From the Koeberg interchange all the way into Cape Town the N1 is no longer a freeway and is a 80km/h zone and cyclist are allowed on this stretch of road.

The 2nd way but does require a short stretch of legal N1 is to use the harbour bridge which has less congestion

Yep, I often used to see guys going across there.

• 4 weeks later...

I just tried out a route on Sunday that largely avoids roads & makes use of new bus lanes & cycle paths.

There is a pedestrian bridge at Ysterplaat Station (very close to Koeberg Interchange) that brings you (via a path) out on Voortrekker Road.

The route is better if you're riding a mountain bike as you can use paths next to the canal & stay away from the nasty cars but it could be adapted a bit if you're riding a road bike.

post-13645-016139400 1280927551.jpg

Oops, forgot to mention: The red line is the bridge & the yellow line is the road/path to Voortrekker Road

• 2 weeks later...

i would investigate this route:

along liesbeeck parkway towards mowbray, left onto settlers way, left onto m5 (nice big shoulder),

left into Berkley rd, maitland and then left over maitland bridge.

negotiate over the interchange and into Brooklyn along Koeberg rd to milnerton OR left into Paarden Eiland and then right onto the beach rd into milnerton.

remember to ride defensively and assume u are invisible to the motorist. if you commute often then you will more than likely ride past the same motorists day after day and they should be expecting to see you some time on the route.