GPS mapping on Cell Phones

Mawbs

I use my iPhone to do all my stuff, particularly the cyclemeter app which I think cost me less than 50 bucks. It works AWESOMELY. Has gps, elevation, etc and you can set it to talk to you every so minutes telling you your average speeds, elevation, ride time etc. You can save your routes, and if you reride it will work on your previous rides, telling you if you were faster, slower, etc.

I don't have a mount for my bike (even if I did, i wouldn't use it. My iPhone is my precious) but i just load some music, turn on app, and put it in my pocket.

I love it!

whats the battery life like, when using gps?

• Replies 35
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I usually get a signal quite quickly but the data is less reliable when mountain biking when theres a lot of trees around.

Also altitude data from satellites isn't always reliable so I use an altitude correction tool in SportTracks to smooth out my data.

What model phone are you using it on? I only use mine on road bike rides, for MTB I have a choice between a 301, 305 or 500 Garmin ;-) ....

I have "GPS meter'' for my HTC..Its very cool, but I now use my Garmin. You turn on the GPS meter, go on your ride, comeback and download the file which you can import into sportstracks which is free download. The GPS Meter licence cost me R180bucks.

What model phone are you using it on? I only use mine on road bike rides, for MTB I have a choice between a 301, 305 or 500 Garmin ;-) ....

I've got a Nokia 6710 Navigator.

Does anyone have the bluetooth heart rate monitor or know where one can get one?

I wonder if Sport Tracks will allo direct upload of Garmin 500 data in V3 which is to be released in August?

I see V3 will have a paid for and free version with some limitations .....

Does anyone have the bluetooth heart rate monitor or know where one can get one?

I got mine from 1 two 1 cellular in Rosebank for R550 - If you ask me nicely.......

I use nokia sports tracker and then export the file to *.gpx. I then import this into a free software called SportTracks which gives you everything you need. It gives you your total ascent, calories, weather, can even estimate power output.

just tried this & its flippen neat

thanks for this

The polar BT / HR monitors work fine with nokia and sportstracker.

The polar BT / HR monitors work fine with nokia and sportstracker.

do you know how much they generally go for?

I use my iPhone to do all my stuff, particularly the cyclemeter app which I think cost me less than 50 bucks. It works AWESOMELY. Has gps, elevation, etc and you can set it to talk to you every so minutes telling you your average speeds, elevation, ride time etc. You can save your routes, and if you reride it will work on your previous rides, telling you if you were faster, slower, etc.

I don't have a mount for my bike (even if I did, i wouldn't use it. My iPhone is my precious) but i just load some music, turn on app, and put it in my pocket.

I love it!

I use the same application. $4.99 to download. Even gives you km by km splits. I don'y use the talking function (iphone in my hydration pack) and can go up to a 4 hour ride. Thereafter the battery she is no longer. Very accurate.